The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

NorthPole

In the controller is where you set the DHCP option, Which will only work if you have a USG. The controller itself doesn't do DHCP
Understood, I'm saying I wonder if having the DHCP via the controller or directly the USG may cause some weird issue.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Understood, I'm saying I wonder if having the DHCP via the controller or directly the USG may cause some weird issue.
The controller is the only place you can set up DHCP. However, the dhcp server is the USG. The controller tells the USG what range to hand out etc.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Does the USG allow you to do all the fancy stuff* that a Mikrotik RB2011 does?

* simultaneous ISP connection, split traffic, scripted switchovers, etc

I have a Mikro RB2011 with 4 Ubiquiti APs and am pretty happy with the setup, but, you know, the itch.....

Sinbad

Honorary Master

I have a Mikro RB2011 with 4 Ubiquiti APs and am pretty happy with the setup, but, you know, the itch.....
No, I don't think so - but I haven't tried, because I've never used PPPoE with the USG.

NorthPole

The controller is the only place you can set up DHCP. However, the dhcp server is the USG. The controller tells the USG what range to hand out etc.
Correct but I believe that you could set up the USG without the Controller to run DHCP server. (if you go to 192.168.1.1 the interface has a DHCP server option which is off by default I believe.)

I managed to setup the CK and USG at my office with only my switch (unmanaged tp link switch). Took it home 1 hour later connected to my network and restarted it to get the new gateway IP... worked for about 3 min, then heartbeat missing of the USG according to the Controller and I couldn't access the CK or the USG.

access

Executive Member

there are more options for the usg via cli, the controller gui limits the device functions..

Correct but I believe that you could set up the USG without the Controller to run DHCP server. (if you go to 192.168.1.1 the interface has a DHCP server option which is off by default I believe.)

I managed to setup the CK and USG at my office with only my switch (unmanaged tp link switch). Took it home 1 hour later connected to my network and restarted it to get the new gateway IP... worked for about 3 min, then heartbeat missing of the USG according to the Controller and I couldn't access the CK or the USG.
doesnt it say the details are not saved when entered it via the ip like that, think it does. so a powercycle/reset will cause it to lose those settings.

does your internet stay connected if you manually enter ip addresses instead of using dhcp? all the ports allowed for controller access at the office network?

edit: also running it on a server works better sometimes if its a service, also install java64bit if 64bit os..

Genisys

Executive Member
Upgraded my Unifi install to the latest version not too long ago, all went well, till I tried to access the controller, low and behold, the controller disconnected. Since I've decided to stop using my USG as it won't handle decent internet speeds that go higher than 80Mbps with DPI and IPS enabled. The USG is good no doubt, but it won't suit my use case at all.

NorthPole

there are more options for the usg via cli, the controller gui limits the device functions..

doesnt it say the details are not saved when entered it via the ip like that, think it does. so a powercycle/reset will cause it to lose those settings.

edit: also running it on a server works better sometimes if its a service, also install java64bit if 64bit os..
Not sure if a power cycle clears the devices DHCP setting. I haven't checked that yet, will try later.

If I use the USG, I'm not able to access anything even if I use a static IPs on the pc or other devices.

does your internet stay connected if you manually enter ip addresses instead of using dhcp? all the ports allowed for controller access at the office network?
Sorry i was not clear. I took the CK and USG and a switch and just reset it and set it up again at my desk. Not connected to another network.

Yeah i'm not sure if it is the CK or the USG, but feel that as soon as I remove the USG, and plug in my Tp link everything works just fine. Would prefer to use the USG for the reason of having the whole eco system to monitor it but rather have working wifi than screaming kids

MiffMeister

Not sure if a power cycle clears the devices DHCP setting. I haven't checked that yet, will try later.

If I use the USG, I'm not able to access anything even if I use a static IPs on the pc or other devices.

Sorry i was not clear. I took the CK and USG and a switch and just reset it and set it up again at my desk. Not connected to another network.

Yeah i'm not sure if it is the CK or the USG, but feel that as soon as I remove the USG, and plug in my Tp link everything works just fine. Would prefer to use the USG for the reason of having the whole eco system to monitor it but rather have working wifi than screaming kids
Is your network running on the default of 192.168.1.1 ?, I know when I setup my USG I don't use that range and had to log in via cli in order to give it an IP in my range and then adopt it.

NorthPole

I'm running it on 192.168.1.1. I run the CK on 192.168.1.3 with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway, usually but left it on DHCP now. My TP link is set to run at 192.168.1.2.

Even fresh after a reset, without any changes it sometimes doesn't let me log into 192.168.1.1, does not assign an IP to the pc even if it's only the USG and my pc on the network.

access

Executive Member
Upgraded my Unifi install to the latest version not too long ago, all went well, till I tried to access the controller, low and behold, the controller disconnected. Since I've decided to stop using my USG as it won't handle decent internet speeds that go higher than 80Mbps with DPI and IPS enabled. The USG is good no doubt, but it won't suit my use case at all.
i read some posts from not too long ago that a recent update sorted that out, unless you have a high device count with a lot of different traffic. ive been wondering if anyone here has tested it.

I'm running it on 192.168.1.1. I run the CK on 192.168.1.3 with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway, usually but left it on DHCP now. My TP link is set to run at 192.168.1.2.

Even fresh after a reset, without any changes it sometimes doesn't let me log into 192.168.1.1, does not assign an IP to the pc even if it's only the USG and my pc on the network.
if its not handing out any ip addresses after the default controller setup, its very likely broken. i assume you reboot everything after the setup just to make sure etc. etc.

NorthPole

i read some posts from not too long ago that a recent update sorted that out, unless you have a high device count with a lot of different traffic. ive been wondering if anyone here has tested it.

if its not handing out any ip addresses after the default controller setup, its very likely broken. i assume you reboot everything after the setup just to make sure etc. etc.
Yep correct, it went wonky one morning think there was a power failure... Reboot the whole system. Will play around more if not Ill it RMAed

access

Executive Member
I wouldn't count on CLI with USG, it is problematic. If you have to use CLI, you should better chose one of EgdeRouter instead to avoid disappointments.
i havent had any problems with it so far, played around with some stuff. i was told you can do almost anything in a usg cli that you can do on an edgerouter.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Controller still reports:

Warning: Enabling IDS/IPS will affect the device maximum throughput. USG: 85 Mbps, USG-Pro: 250 Mbps, USG-XG-8: 1 Gbps.

Controller still reports:

Warning: Enabling IDS/IPS will affect the device maximum throughput. USG: 85 Mbps, USG-Pro: 250 Mbps, USG-XG-8: 1 Gbps.
Surely this only applies to the wan interface right ? Or does IPS enabling drop performance across all interfaces. In my use case, Lan 1/Lan 2 should operate at gigabit especially when traffic is routed/switched between the two interfaces. For wan, 80mbps is ok for me as I only have 20mbp FTTH connection?

If it against all interfaces, is there a way to only make IPS work on a specific interface i.e. wan?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
It says throughput so I imagine it's between all ports on the device including between lan1 and lan2.

sajunky

Honorary Master
i havent had any problems with it so far, played around with some stuff. i was told you can do almost anything in a usg cli that you can do on an edgerouter.
You was told wrong. Members of Ubiquiti forum have different opinion.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Surely this only applies to the wan interface right ? Or does IPS enabling drop performance across all interfaces. In my use case, Lan 1/Lan 2 should operate at gigabit especially when traffic is routed/switched between the two interfaces. For wan, 80mbps is ok for me as I only have 20mbp FTTH connection?

If it against all interfaces, is there a way to only make IPS work on a specific interface i.e. wan?
I only comment on the USG switching. It is in software, there is no hardware offloading. If most of traffic flows between LAN1 and LAN2, better use ER-X which is configured in basic setup for a hardware switch. An yes, as far I remember it supports hardware offloading for bridging different LAN segments, but you should double check.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I only comment on the USG switching. It is in software, there is no hardware offloading. If most of traffic flows between LAN1 and LAN2, better use ER-X which is configured in basic setup for a hardware switch. An yes, as far I remember it supports hardware offloading for bridging different LAN segments, but you should double check.
Usg definitely does hardware offloading.

Switching IPS on disables the offloading, hence the throughput limitations