The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
well unless im doing something really wrong..

i dont have a cloud key, i signed up on their site, put the details in the cloud access section in the controller, now i can access my controller via their cloud, if its running.
Can confirm. Running on an Pi and have remote access too.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
well unless im doing something really wrong..

i dont have a cloud key, i signed up on their site, put the details in the cloud access section in the controller, now i can access my controller via their cloud, if its running.
Hmm, not working for me for some reason

access

Executive Member
Hmm, not working for me for some reason
the controller must be installed and running on a pc in the network. i assume it connects out to the cloud service.

i had to restart my usg(pro4) and disable IPS locally for it to connect again, else it would say connection failed and take me back to the cloud dash. enabling ips afterwards again(via cloud now) did not drop the connection or stop me from connecting again. ..buggy

access

Executive Member
Can confirm. Running on an Pi and have remote access too.
yeah ive seen some people are running their controller on a pi all the time instead of taking resources from some pc. i have a few of them lying around i should do that too

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
the controller must be installed and running on a pc in the network. i assume it connects out to the cloud service.

i had to restart my usg(pro4) and disable IPS locally for it to connect again, else it would say connection failed and take me back to the cloud dash. enabling ips afterwards again(via cloud now) did not drop the connection or stop me from connecting again. ..buggy
Controller is running - don't have a USG though, only APs

access

Executive Member
Controller is running - don't have a USG though, only APs
dont think you need it, appears to connect to the controller software

NOTES & REQUIREMENTS: A UBNT account is needed to use cloud access via https://unifi.ubnt.com. This article will help if more information on how to create a UBNT account is needed.

System Requirements:
  • Windows 7/8/8.1/10: UniFi Controller Software v4.8.15 or above
  • Mac OS X: UniFi Controller Software v4.8.15 or above
  • Linux: Please search for the release notes for your Linux operating system here to determine if your version has any specific requirements outside of the general information provided here.
  • 64-bit Java
  • Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Windows IE 10 (or above)

ActivateD

Expert Member
I am going to get the Gen2 of the CK as I want to have the G3 cameras connected to one system.

MarsBarDoom

Anyone experienced their USG getting hacked, and scripts running on it.. same with the cloudkey and UAP

PhireSide

Executive Member
Got my Edgerouter X today and busy setting it up.

Has anyone gotten it to work properly with a Huawei B315? They are notorious for messing with other DHCP servers on the same network and as they have no bridge function, I fear I may have to resort to buying a whole nother router altogether

PhireSide

Executive Member
Finally got the ERx to work with the B315.

I ended up plugging the B315 into eth1 and setting it as the WAN port. For some reason it would crash the entire network when plugged into eth0.

I will fiddle some more when I have more time, as I want QoS to work properly for my needs as well

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Finally got the ERx to work with the B315.

I ended up plugging the B315 into eth1 and setting it as the WAN port. For some reason it would crash the entire network when plugged into eth0.

I will fiddle some more when I have more time, as I want QoS to work properly for my needs as well
What would you require QoS for?

PhireSide

Executive Member
What would you require QoS for?
I have a very unstable LTE connection and my network absolutely tanks when any downloads run, killing stuff like streaming, browsing and even simple WhatsApp messages.

The QoS has made it better at the expense of some throughput. My speedtests average about 20 - 30 mbps, so I've put the total bandwidth available as 15 mbps (worst case scenario) and it seems to be quite good at making sure all the devices have enough reserve bandwidth to work properly.

EDIT: I was pulling my hair out yesterday because I thought something went wrong with the setup as the speeds were atrocious. I was busy fiddling with the NAT settings, as the PS4 kept on losing connection every so often. I had to turn off the WAN port masquerade to get it to work properly, as NAT is being handled by the B315 with no way to turn it off. This was causing a double NAT scenario and the PS4 was very unhappy with it. It turns out the reduction in speeds was due to me being throttled:

I guess the testing will resume tomorrow :)

EDIT 2: I have been using draw.io to setup network topologies and it seems to be a pretty good offering for a free service, if anyone wants to check it out:

Example

Last edited: