The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

access

Honorary Master
Hi all,

So I have a question.
I have 2x AP's setup at work, the main reason for doing this 'installation' was to monitor the usage at work and who uses how much data etc.
It's been running for about 3 months and the usage has dropped.
We have a 100GB cap on a 10MB ADSL and prior to the APs being installed, we were hitting that 100GB in like 5 to 10 days - that is no longer, so awesome!
What I do want to do is;

I want to be able to pull a report and show how much each user is using in a month or whatever.

So what I've done is obviously setup the AP's to the ADSL router.
Changed the wireless password and each person has to come to me to connect them and then I've named them accordingly (given them a alias) which is name, surname, persal and device type.

Please can I get guidance on how to pull a report and show my managers the data usage during X period for users.

I do know, that if I goto a user, click on the history stats, I can see it, but that is a mission to do considering I have connected over 300 people here (but only ever 20± are using it at any given time)

This is the first thing I want to teach myself.

I have the same setup at home but instead of 2 AP's I have 3 covering my place- I want to be able to do the same thing, but just teaching myself that aspect first.
At home, my next step is to get a USG. :)

well... each device needs to be named for you to know who it belongs to.

then you can go to "insights" and select "client history" and "last 24 hours" or "30 days" or what ever.

you can name each client by clicking on them, select configuration and then enter a name under alias in general.

you would need to show your managers the data directly on the controller. or just windows key + shift + s and click drag the screenshot selection and email it...

of course if you want to see what the user was doing, clicking on the user and select "deep packet inspection" and it shows a bit of information

MDKza

then you can go to "insights" and select "client history" and "last 24 hours" or "30 days" or what ever.

you can name each client by clicking on them, select configuration and then enter a name under alias in general.

you would need to show your managers the data directly on the controller. or just windows key + shift + s and click drag the screenshot selection and email it...

of course if you want to see what the user was doing, clicking on the user and select "deep packet inspection" and it shows a bit of information

There are a few reports of this not being accurate at all.

TedLasso

Expert Member
I have a USG, etc and I it's not accurate with regards to client history . For example, I have never reset stats since installed in Nov 2019. Usage shows 4.3TB of internet traffic generated since inception.

Beginning of last month, it was 3.8TB. just saw on my ISP portal, that I clocked 1TB usage last month alone (lots of cloud backups took place) , so at minimum it should have been near 5TB already.

Can't trust it definitely.

TedLasso

Expert Member
More wierdly, it's says my phone is responsible for 2TB of that traffic which is impossible. In my case, all known devices have static assigned IPs and labeled so it's not related to that.

medicnick83

Paramedic

Hi bud, listen, this is not showing stats accurately, There is one user and his stats are basically zero, but he definitely using it.

access

Honorary Master
Hi bud, listen, this is not showing stats accurately, There is one user and his stats are basically zero, but he definitely using it.

is the controller always running to record the data? also make sure the data retention periods are set appropriately

ebendl

Expert Member
So I currently have one AC AP LR and it definitely was an upgrade over my previous TP-Link Archer C9.

I am now contemplating another LR, since I think my 2.4Ghz is still fairly saturated (I have a lot of IOT devices).

Do you guys think it makes sense to wait for the Wifi 6 devices to be released and get one of those (for a bit of future-proofing)?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
So I currently have one AC AP LR and it definitely was an upgrade over my previous TP-Link Archer C9.

I am now contemplating another LR, since I think my 2.4Ghz is still fairly saturated (I have a lot of IOT devices).

Do you guys think it makes sense to wait for the Wifi 6 devices to be released and get one of those (for a bit of future-proofing)?
I'd get another AP now to solve the immediate issue of the saturated 2.4GHz band, and then replace both AP's once Wifi6 is more commonplace and the prices have come down a bit.

Unless you are regularly finding your devices starved for bandwidth on 5GHz, the jump to Wifi6 probably won't have a big impact, plus there are very few devices currently using Wifi6 right now so it will take a few more years for it to become mainstream IMHO.

ebendl

Expert Member
I'd get another AP now to solve the immediate issue of the saturated 2.4GHz band, and then replace both AP's once Wifi6 is more commonplace and the prices have come down a bit.

Unless you are regularly finding your devices starved for bandwidth on 5GHz, the jump to Wifi6 probably won't have a big impact, plus there are very few devices currently using Wifi6 right now so it will take a few more years for it to become mainstream IMHO.

Thanks, make sense. Not really too keen to replace an AP immediately after I buy one (it's for my house, not an office, so there's no IT budget), but then at the same time it is probably something that I can keep for 3 years before I replace it.

ajcpt

I have a slightly weird question. I got a UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) to handle my internet (Cool Ideas on Vuma Aerial in case it matters). I had some issues with certain websites not loading; it looked like a classic MTU problem where data just never flows on the TCP socket. And, in fact, manually setting the MTU to 1400 on my computer's interface made the problems go away.

The problem was definitely with the UDM - no issues when I connected my computer directly to the ONT and ran PPPoE from there. So I poked around further on the UDM and ifconfig ppp0 reports an MTU of 1480 for the WAN connection. I set the router to do MSS clamping of 1440 bits and hey presto, everything is fine.

So my practical issue is solved but I'm still wondering what the cause is. Further digging reveals that it only seems to happen with sites hosted on the Fastly.net CDN, and then only some of the time. So there is something weird going on with path MTU discovery between my UDM and Fastly's servers. But that's where my networking knowledge runs out. Anyone have any ideas?

NorthPole

I have a slightly weird question. I got a UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) to handle my internet (Cool Ideas on Vuma Aerial in case it matters). I had some issues with certain websites not loading; it looked like a classic MTU problem where data just never flows on the TCP socket. And, in fact, manually setting the MTU to 1400 on my computer's interface made the problems go away.

The problem was definitely with the UDM - no issues when I connected my computer directly to the ONT and ran PPPoE from there. So I poked around further on the UDM and ifconfig ppp0 reports an MTU of 1480 for the WAN connection. I set the router to do MSS clamping of 1440 bits and hey presto, everything is fine.

So my practical issue is solved but I'm still wondering what the cause is. Further digging reveals that it only seems to happen with sites hosted on the Fastly.net CDN, and then only some of the time. So there is something weird going on with path MTU discovery between my UDM and Fastly's servers. But that's where my networking knowledge runs out. Anyone have any ideas?

Had an issue on my USG, changed the MTU to 1436 on Cool Ideas, fixed the issues for me.

ajcpt

set your mss clamping to 1412 and try the websites again.

With MSS clamping at 1440 everything is working perfectly. So for all practical purposes I am happy.

My post is just curiosity, basically about two questions. Firstly, why did I need to set the MSS clamping value manually on my UDM, where other routers seem to handle it automatically? Secondly, what is Fastly.net doing to break path MTU discovery, since it's only their servers where I saw a problem?

access

Honorary Master
i cant say for sure. different networks/equipment have different configuration in place.

maybe other routers have lower default values. maybe fastly.net security devices blocks certain messages required for path mtu discovery. maybe it has to do with ipv6 transitioning mechanisms.

the ubnt automatic setting for pppoe assumes that all pppoe mtu is 1492 which then means -40 bytes equals 1452 mss. the closer to the largest amount the more efficient transmission is.

the auto mss setting does not mean it auto negotiates all the time while you are browsing etc. its not the same as path mtu discovery.

ebendl

Expert Member
Has anybody done a throughput heatmap before?

I'm looking at installing a second Unifi AP LR. So I drew up a floorplan of my place in Sweet Home 3D, imported it into the Unifi Controller, opened up the map on my phone, and proceeded to create a throughput heatmap.

Basically, it measures the download (or upload -- you can pick) speed continuously and then you tap on the map where you currently are. And then it draws this map for you. Red is fastest speed, blue is slowest speeds.

(I did create a new SSID first which is limited to 2.4 GHz, because that's the biggest issue in my house -- IoT devices on the 2.4 GHz band, and I didn't want my phone to connect to 5GHz and skew the results).

It's not perfect as it doesn't really take into account walls -- so if I stand on the one side of a wall it assumes the same speed would be on the other side of the wall too (and the color "bleeds" through the wall), which won't typically be the case. I could have taken one or two additional measurements just on the opposite side of some walls to get a better indication.

You can see I marked my existing AP on the map and then where I think I would put the new one. Any suggestions?

Throughput heatmap.png

phoenix55

I have a Unifi network that includes a few Unifi wireless access points, a USG router and 24 port Unifi network switch. There are 2 "dumb" 8-port network switches (Asus and TP-Link) in 2 areas that split the single incoming network line into multiples to supply network to other devices (VoIP phone, laptop) there.

Users were complaining of bandwidth issues on a particular day, but when I checked the stats all I could see was that the upload bandwidth peak (went to ISP - View History) had been hit but couldn't see what was causing it.

I tried to check the stats history for a particular client for that period but it didn't give me much info or didn't seem to add up.

I'm not sure if the server where the Unifi controller is running off isn't capable of processing everything or if there's a setting I need to allow. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ;-)

Is there a way to see which clients are using bandwidth for a particular day or time period? For example on 1 October there were x listed clients connected on the network each using so much of the bandwidth (seen in pie chart maybe) and then be able to drill down per client to see more breakdown of what they were doing (email, OneDrive, YouTube, etc.) so that I can see where the bottleneck / high usage is.

Hope that makes sense, am a bit of a newbie with all this :)

Appreciate any guidance on this matter