The Official Webafrica Telkom LTE Feedback Thread

ProAsm

Expert Member
I got the antenna as a present before we had a local tower.
It's a Poynting Xpol-6-10m

xpol.jpg

**Edit**
R1419 at Takealot, worth every cent.

The bunny ear antenna you thinking of comes with the B315.
I have those also but found the internal antennae were better.

Last edited:

technofool

For the uninitiated, could you translate that into Mbps please ?
Internal Antenna = 43Mbps
External Antenna = 75Mbps
See the speedtest links

Now I'd like to know if there is any way to find out where your nearest tower and what frequency it is transmitting on.
There are a bunch of 4G antennas on Banggood 4G Ant for R100 - R200. Claims 28dB gain ??

Last edited:

ProAsm

Expert Member
Internal Antenna = 43Mbps
External Antenna = 75Mbps
See the speedtest links

Now I'd like to know if there is any way to find out where your nearest tower and what frequency it is transmitting on.
There are a bunch of 4G antennas on Banggood 4G Ant for R100 - R200. Claims 28dB gain ??
There is an app for your Android phone called OpenSignal.
That will show you all the towers around you and a host of other info.

** edit **
Regarding the antennae on Banggood, lol, read the comments and I 100% agree, getting 25 dBi out a 16 element yagi is totally impossible, I would say around 15 dBi at the outside.

Last edited:

ProAsm

Expert Member
My pro-rata data usage from WebAfrica.
It's supposed to be 70+50 which is 70 GB anytime and 50 GB night surfer.
According to the usage below, they have switched it around.
38+20 (70) Night surfer and 38 (50) Anytime ?
And what is the bonus messaging ?

B525_Tkm_0.jpg

SiR_BP

So far so good, performance/speed not too bad. Only a handful on devices connected to far, will wait for the full data allocation to connect all devices.

Average between 15-20 Mbps, got up to over 40Mbps a few times

technofool

I signed up on Tues 9 July. Submitted RICA docs and made R209 eft for modem and submitted the proof of deposit to "speed up the process". Phoned helpdesk and manually got RICAed on Thu 11 July after I had to sign up again and re-submit my RICA docs.
On Fri 19 July Webafrica acknowledges the R209 deposit on 10 July. Seems like the Accts Dept are the slow pokes.
10 days later still no LTE service. "Be online in 5 days" is another broken promise.
Just got another email to say RICA approved and courier will deliver the modem and SIM in the next 3-5 business days.

ProAsm

Expert Member
I signed up on Tues 9 July. Submitted RICA docs and made R209 eft for modem and submitted the proof of deposit to "speed up the process". Phoned helpdesk and manually got RICAed on Thu 11 July after I had to sign up again and re-submit my RICA docs.
On Fri 19 July Webafrica acknowledges the R209 deposit on 10 July. Seems like the Accts Dept are the slow pokes.
10 days later still no LTE service. "Be online in 5 days" is another broken promise.
Just got another email to say RICA approved and courier will deliver the modem and SIM in the next 3-5 business days.
I see Mweb now have the same deal but no R209.
Be interesting to see how their services are regarding delivery etc.

Zuner

Expert Member
Still no reply from webAfrica, does anyone know if this LTE will work in an area that has telkom LTE (As tested with a prepaid SIM, but not in coverage per WA website? Per the coverage map one side of my parents town has coverage but not the other.
need to replace their 2mb adsl with something else. they only use about 30gb a month now, so the 70gb package for the same price as the adsl will work wonders.

darryn

iv been running world of warcraft fine on this service for two weeks today i log in and latecny is through the roof strange thing its only wow i loaded up diablo 3 and latecny is fine.

any ideas?

iv run a repair on the wow folder so far speed test is fine

regards

technofool

Still no reply from webAfrica, does anyone know if this LTE will work in an area that has telkom LTE (As tested with a prepaid SIM, but not in coverage per WA website?

I am in a similar position and I'm sure the Webafrica supplied Telkom B525 modem/SIM will connect to the same towers as your test.
This is after all just Telkom LTE resold, should be no difference. BUT already Webafrica does not offer a news server and with their Telkom LTE you cannot connect to news.telkom.co.za either.

The only reason I went with Webafrica was because Telkom refused to sell me LTE, even though I was using a friends Telkom LTE modem and speed was 30Mb/s, because my house was not 'in their coverage area'.

Another downer is that Webafrica charges same as Telkom but if you want to go your own way after 1 or 2 years they will still charge you full price for the used modem. No incentive to look after this equipment.

ProAsm

Expert Member
WebAfrica works anywhere where there is Telkom coverage, no problem.
One thing you need to be aware of is their Usage on the Customer Zone is somewhat incorrect.
It is advisable you open an account with MyTelkom and link your WebAfrica router cell number.
In my case Telkom says I have used 25 gigs, my own app I'm working on that reads the router direct also says 25 gigs while the WebAfrica usage says 21 gigs, so this could catch you out.

Zuner

Expert Member
I am in a similar position and I'm sure the Webafrica supplied Telkom B525 modem/SIM will connect to the same towers as your test.
This is after all just Telkom LTE resold, should be no difference. BUT already Webafrica does not offer a news server and with their Telkom LTE you cannot connect to news.telkom.co.za either.

The only reason I went with Webafrica was because Telkom refused to sell me LTE, even though I was using a friends Telkom LTE modem and speed was 30Mb/s, because my house was not 'in their coverage area'.
So you are currently using webafrica in an area marked as having no coverage??

Another downer is that Webafrica charges same as Telkom but if you want to go your own way after 1 or 2 years they will still charge you full price for the used modem. No incentive to look after this equipment.
Looking at webafrica site it says you can return the router after you cancel? So that should be fine then?
Looking at mweb they have a 24month clawback clause where you have to pay full price if you cancel in 2 years.

ProAsm

Expert Member
I don't think Mweb will get much business due to the following:
Promotional data and Night Time Data is only valid for the duration of the initial 24 month period.
Hell, even Telkom does not drop your Night Data.

technofool

So you are currently using webafrica in an area marked as having no coverage??
Not yet. I'm still waiting for the Webafrica modem to be delivered. I was using the same LTE package from Telkom even though I was outside the coverage (same map as Webafrica) So I'm sure there won't be any problems.

@ProAsm You paid R1400 for your premium Poynting antenna. I'm thinking to spend R200 on a cheapie from Gearbest or Banggood. Should I go for yagi or flat panel?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
ArtyLoop's Review
The product is comparable to the old uncapped Telkom LTE quality-wise but unfortunately limited in GBytes as it is essentially a capped product.

We ordered two of these, one for me to get around the ADSL upload problem, and the other for my son to give him his own internet to waste and when its gone its gone until the next month.

The first one was delivered without a hitch, the second one required a fight because WebAfrica cocked it up spectacularly.
First LTE arrived, SIM in, worked immediately
Second LTE arrived, SIM not registering on network... took a week before it worked with lots of emails and phone calls back and forth. I still have no idea what they did wrong.

Observations:
- LTE is somewhat iffy, until you go into the router and set up the "unrestricted" APN, then it performs nicely.
- On the "unrestricted" APN, you can run torrents
- It works very well for video conferencing.
- It works nicely in a load-balancer setup with a Mikrotik Routerboard.
- The Wi-Fi performance of the Huawei B525 is mediocre at best, it seems to be a step down from previous Huawei routers
- The first LTE, its SIM card is a regular Telkom Mobile SIM (can receive calls, and also can send/receive SMS messages)
- The second LTE, its SIM card is data only. Cannot make/receive calls or send/receive SMS messages. It is identical in nature to the SIM in the uncapped Telkom deal I had previously.
- Some interesting SMS messages received about "credit limits" on the one router. I guess this is a bulk contract that WA has with Telkom.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@ArtyLoop

You would need to play with the LTE bands to max download and upload speeds. Band 3 great for uploading. Band 40 great for high download speeds on 4G+

ProAsm

Expert Member

@ProAsm You paid R1400 for your premium Poynting antenna. I'm thinking to spend R200 on a cheapie from Gearbest or Banggood. Should I go for yagi or flat panel?
Actually I got the antenna as a Xmas present from my son :)
Regarding the yagi or flat panel, remember which ever one you go for you will need 2 of them, one horizontal and the other vertical, hence the 2 cables that come out the poynting antennae.
A yagi is not so wind resistant has a panel, although generally the panel will give you a wider bandwidth which is what you need if you going to change ISP's hence frequencies.
Although the beamwidth of a yagi is wider than that of a panel, so it's your choice.

Zuner

Expert Member
Not yet. I'm still waiting for the Webafrica modem to be delivered. I was using the same LTE package from Telkom even though I was outside the coverage (same map as Webafrica) So I'm sure there won't be any problems.

Sounds good, I have to cancel the adsl and do a final signal/speed test at my parents before I order, by then you'll probably have gotten yours, hope you don't mind me bugging you in a couple of weeks to hear how it went.