The Official Webafrica Telkom LTE Feedback Thread

Lishen23

Timer switch to switch the 315 on and off on schedule. 525 uses the ethernet connection from the 315 when it is on and the rain sim otherwise
If you don't mind sharing, how do you do this part? Do I need to add additional hardware to my setup? I've got a similar setup as yours except I just manually switch all my devices over to telkom at 6pm and then back to rain later/the next day. High priority things stay wired to the telkom router, this would make things much easier.

ab-user

If you don't mind sharing, how do you do this part? Do I need to add additional hardware to my setup? I've got a similar setup as yours except I just manually switch all my devices over to telkom at 6pm and then back to rain later/the next day. High priority things stay wired to the telkom router, this would make things much easier.
'I've swapped the physical routers around. Keeping the Webafrica B525 with the Telkom Sim

So:
Hardware

Antenna outside
B525 with Telkom sim card.
(electronic) timer switch from Builders
B315 with Rain sim card

Long enough network cable (Cat whatever you have)

Assembly:
Antenna pointing to Telkom Tower connected to the B525 (My Telkom signal is weaker than rain signal).
Then the network cable from one of the Telkom B525 LAN ports (port 2 for example) to the B315 wan port.
Plug the B525 power supplyy into timer switch which was set to supply electricity between 18:00 and 23:00 .

Configuration:
Create separately named wifi SSIDs on each of the routers, and make the SSID on the B315 the one used in the house. eg on the B525 MySsidIDoNotShare, and on the B315: MySsidIUseInTheHouse
Do not put the two routers on the same subnet (Might not make a difference because of the LAN/WAN ports, but just keep them separate).
Make sure the Ethernet Connection under Ethernet settings on the B315 is set to auto

My B525 router has an IP address of 192.168.254.1 and the B315 has 192.168.0.1.

If the B315 runs over ethernet the light/dark blue/red light should be green and the home page of the B315 should show Ethernet, not rain

technofool

OK I thought this was a creative solution because I was thinking of also using a Rain SIM but I couldn't come up with this elegant solution. I have drawn the routers the old way, before the swap of B315 with B525. Still the same idea though. Took me a while to picture what Ab-user meant first time. I hope a picture helps.

Attachments

ab-user

OK I thought this was a creative solution because I was thinking of also using a Rain SIM but I couldn't come up with this elegant solution. I have drawn the routers the old way, before the swap of B315 with B525. Still the same idea though. Took me a while to picture what Ab-user meant first time. I hope a picture helps.
Have the rain simcard on the "inner" (your home network side) modem. If the telkom router("outside") switches on between 6pm and 11pm , the "inner router will stop using its own LTE (failover) sim card (the rain sim) and start using the ethernet "outer" router

technofool

Have the rain simcard on the "inner" (your home network side) modem. If the telkom router("outside") switches on between 6pm and 11pm , the "inner router will stop using its own LTE (failover) sim card (the rain sim) and start using the ethernet "outer" router
Sorry sorry my bad. The Rain SIM is on most of the time, Telkom only used between 6-11pm.
I need to swap my two SIMs around.

technofool

I get the feeling WA support staff are not happy to be at work. They are not up to speed on the new product either.
My Telkom B315 had the RJ11 telephone port active and I was using a Freshphone SIP account. The WA B525 has the telephone port & SIP removed from the menu firmware and I asked support how to enable the RJ11 telephone port.
First I was asked why I wanted to use it, then I was told to get a VoIP phone, then I was just ignored for 2 days.
WA doesn't seem to be addding any value to the Telkom product. You don't have a 24month contract but you dont get to own a modem either. I can't see the business sense of this product.

ronnie_94

What is up with the long activation, has anyone ever been activated within the 48 hours?

technofool

I have approached WA support 3 times now, rephrased my question 3 times and still no solution. "How can I activate the telephone port on the B525?"
My Telkom B315 had a menu option to fill in the SIP server IP but this router has been firmware crippled. The menu options for VoIP and SIP ALG are still there but nowhere for the SIP Server to be configured.
Is anybody else here using the telephone port of the B525?

ProAsm

Expert Member
I have approached WA support 3 times now, rephrased my question 3 times and still no solution. "How can I activate the telephone port on the B525?"
My Telkom B315 had a menu option to fill in the SIP server IP but this router has been firmware crippled. The menu options for VoIP and SIP ALG are still there but nowhere for the SIP Server to be configured.
Is anybody else here using the telephone port of the B525?
I think this is a WebAfrica thing as a friend of mine has just aquired a B525 with Telkom and he has no problem at all.
He phoned me on both my landline as well as my cell and it worked great.

Zuner

Expert Member
Sounds good, I have to cancel the adsl and do a final signal/speed test at my parents before I order, by then you'll probably have gotten yours, hope you don't mind me bugging you in a couple of weeks to hear how it went.
@technofool
So the time has come, I did some speed/signal tests yesterday at the parents place.
I get 2-4bars of LTE signal on a Huawei p7. And speed tests of 10-12Down and 5-15up.
Not the best but will be plenty for them coming from 2mbps adsl.

So to confirm, you are in a NO coverage zone according to Telkom/WA, but have telkom signal and the package works? The parents use about 40gb a month on the 2mb so the 70gb package should be fine for them.

technofool

@technofool
So the time has come, I did some speed/signal tests yesterday at the parents place.
I get 2-4bars of LTE signal on a Huawei p7. And speed tests of 10-12Down and 5-15up.
Not the best but will be plenty for them coming from 2mbps adsl.

So to confirm, you are in a NO coverage zone according to Telkom/WA, but have telkom signal and the package works? The parents use about 40gb a month on the 2mb so the 70gb package should be fine for them.
That is right, Telkom would not sell me their LTE until I gave them a false address because I was "off the map". I'm also getting about the speeds you get.
ProAsm reccomended an app, OpenSignal, that will give you an idea of where the towers are and you can place the modem near a window that can "see" the tower and you should be fine.

Lishen23

'I've swapped the physical routers around. Keeping the Webafrica B525 with the Telkom Sim

Configuration:
Create separately named wifi SSIDs on each of the routers, and make the SSID on the B315 the one used in the house. eg on the B525 MySsidIDoNotShare, and on the B315: MySsidIUseInTheHouse
Do not put the two routers on the same subnet (Might not make a difference because of the LAN/WAN ports, but just keep them separate).
Make sure the Ethernet Connection under Ethernet settings on the B315 is set to auto

My B525 router has an IP address of 192.168.254.1 and the B315 has 192.168.0.1.

If the B315 runs over ethernet the light/dark blue/red light should be green and the home page of the B315 should show Ethernet, not rain
This is brilliant thank you. I'm curious about what happens when Rain has network issues? will it auto switch to the telkom? Then if it does, when will it go back to Rain?

I currently have a B618-22d for the Rain uncapped and a B618-65d for my telkom 200gb+200gb

Right now I just manually switch my devices when the Rain cuts off but I also have a potentially decent solution which I've just been too lazy to implement.

I have a TP-Link R470T which is a multi-wan. It has a bunch of configurations, I can use both B618s simultaneously and aggregate the speed, or I can use one as a main and the other as back up, or I can set it up to use different ones at different times. So I tried using it timed, the main issue I'm having is that when the rain disconnects randomly I'm left without internet because then it doesn't do a failover. The next issue is the R470T doesn't do WiFi so I have to have another router connected to a LAN on the R470T and use that to push out WiFi.

So this setup requires 4 routers to work together properly and I don't have 4 2 pin plugs available on the multi-plug I'm using :laugh: the part that I'm being lazy about is going and making sure 3 of the routers are static, make sure there's address clashes, make sure my devices that need to be on static IPs stay static across the 4 routers. Don't know if its worth the hassle.

Rouie

Will the unrestricted APN enable higher speeds or better SINR in addition to letting me torrent anytime on this package? It is advertised as 10Mbps for the first 150GB, 4Mbps for the next 50GB and then 2Mbps *shudders*

So many questions. Thank you for helping out a lurking noob.

ArtyLoop's Review
The product is comparable to the old uncapped Telkom LTE quality-wise but unfortunately limited in GBytes as it is essentially a capped product.

We ordered two of these, one for me to get around the ADSL upload problem, and the other for my son to give him his own internet to waste and when its gone its gone until the next month.

The first one was delivered without a hitch, the second one required a fight because WebAfrica cocked it up spectacularly.
First LTE arrived, SIM in, worked immediately
Second LTE arrived, SIM not registering on network... took a week before it worked with lots of emails and phone calls back and forth. I still have no idea what they did wrong.

Observations:
- LTE is somewhat iffy, until you go into the router and set up the "unrestricted" APN, then it performs nicely.
- On the "unrestricted" APN, you can run torrents
- It works very well for video conferencing.
- It works nicely in a load-balancer setup with a Mikrotik Routerboard.
- The Wi-Fi performance of the Huawei B525 is mediocre at best, it seems to be a step down from previous Huawei routers
- The first LTE, its SIM card is a regular Telkom Mobile SIM (can receive calls, and also can send/receive SMS messages)
- The second LTE, its SIM card is data only. Cannot make/receive calls or send/receive SMS messages. It is identical in nature to the SIM in the uncapped Telkom deal I had previously.
- Some interesting SMS messages received about "credit limits" on the one router. I guess this is a bulk contract that WA has with Telkom.