The Official Xiaomi Thread

enerdude

Expert Member
Any specials on the Note 8?
Xiaomi phones on connecteddevices - they are legit, ordered few times from them before.
Range of xiaomi on sale:

You can get R200 off any order by using coupon RETURN200

There is a Note 8 Pro (grey) for R4499, so with discount its R4299

They also accept ebucks

riscbroker

Expert Member
Android noob here - I've been on Apple stuff since iOS4.

Very happy with my fresh Redmi 9, just need some advice on choice of adblocker please, not so much for the browser but for ads in apps. I've always used a hosts blocker on my Apple phones, but I'm hoping for something effective that works on stock Android.

enerdude

Expert Member

Very happy with my fresh Redmi 9, just need some advice on choice of adblocker please, not so much for the browser but for ads in apps. I've always used a hosts blocker on my Apple phones, but I'm hoping for something effective that works on stock Android.
This one works for me:

It is a local running vpn solution due to phones not being rooted. Within the 'fake' vpn it changes the hosts file to bypass ad sites.
After installation open it and click the power button top left to start it and it will ask you to start its vpn.
After that it will automatically start up when your phone is restarted.

Works great for me in apps like Cinemahd for instance.

ABU

If it is the ads that appear in the Xiaomi apps, then follow this guide to stop them appearing:

riscbroker

Expert Member
@enerdude - Blokada is working well, no ads anywhere that matters to me. My only gripe is that it disconnects seemingly at random intervals and I have to reactivate it. I've enabled 'Always on' but it still switches off after a bit and the system then notifies me.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
recently purchased two Xiaomi redmi Note 9 Pro 128Gb from Bangood, just waiting for them to arrive (cost of the phone each is about R3340.00 but just need to see what the freight cost and the customs fees are going to be.

eager to see the difference between my current Xiaomi Note 8 and the note 9 pro will be.

deesef

Expert Member
recently purchased two Xiaomi redmi Note 9 Pro 128Gb from Bangood, just waiting for them to arrive (cost of the phone each is about R3340.00 but just need to see what the freight cost and the customs fees are going to be.

eager to see the difference between my current Xiaomi Note 8 and the note 9 pro will be.
How did you get them to ship those phones to South African?

Park@82

Honorary Master
Does anyone here have experience on the air dots v2 while running?
I have the MI True Wireless earbuds "basic 2". Mine does not fall out while running, I only use one at a time though so that I can still hear my surroundings while on the street.

They are very limited in terms of controlling music (they can only play and pause).

I'm upgrading to the Galaxy buds plus which is around 4 x more expensive (R1700 on promo form loot.co.za atm)...

ejtango

Well done! I have been watching them on Gearbest and Banggood, but they do not have shipping to SA How did manage to order them?

HS2000

Xiaomi phones on connecteddevices - they are legit, ordered few times from them before.
Range of xiaomi on sale:

You can get R200 off any order by using coupon RETURN200
I tried the Return200 code on their website previously . The website accepts the code on a first time purchase . They however don't process the order if the code is used on a first purchase.

I had to phone them and find out that my order won't be fulfilled. I was asked to pay the remainder of the full price.

Loot was cheaper. So i asked for a refund & made a purchase from loot.

Basically that code only works from your second purchase.

Last edited:

HS2000

The side fingerprint scanner is a gamer changer for me. It is annoying reaching for the back of the phone.

Sony started this trend. Hopefully it becomes the norm.

HS2000

Any specials on the Note 8?
Loot had the black Note 8 for 2999

Mia recently had it for 2899

and Takealot 2999

It looks like they are trying to get rid of stock. I might get the Note 8.The Redmi 9 is also the same price, when on special.

Apparently the Redmi 9 has a dim screen though.

enerdude

Expert Member
I tried the Return200 code on their website previously . The website accepts the code on a first time purchase . They however don't process the order if the code is used on a first purchase.

I had to phone them and find out that my order won't be fulfilled. I was asked to pay the remainder of the full price.

Loot was cheaper. So i asked for a refund & made a purchase from loot.

Basically that code only works from your second purchase.
Ok yes forgot to mention you can use saveme150 anytime