The Official Xiaomi Thread

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I miss iOS. Not coz Android is not cool. It still is. Very customisable and all that. But as one ages and gets older there is no time to tinker and you just want stuff that just works. Also the new developments on both iOS and Mac OS are quite cool. Question. Does iPhone 12 have esim and is that now a thing in SA or still a pipedream.
I will have to see if I miss iOS, Im so bored of iOS after 7 years of iPhones.
There is nothing between the two really, its just a matter of preference and if you prefer the colour scheme of one over the other.

Personally I hated iOS when I first switched over from Android all of those years ago. It was a contract phone so I had to get used to it.
I dont expect Android to be any different, especially for what I use a phone for.

Saajid123

So just an update on my experience so far, purchased a POCO F3 on Friday the 25th of June through amazon germany,

3rd party seller, Recieved notification that it was shipped out on that monday the 28th.

Notified that amazon had used DHL (what a relief) tracked it on the DHL app for what felt like every hour of the day.

When i had initially placed the order Amazon had the estimated delivery date as the 17th of July, to my suprise it was delivered to me that thursday morning (1st July).

Been using the phone for almost a week now, being a samsung fanboy having every S series phone since the S2 up to the S9, i have to say ive made the switch.

The poco came loaded with the global version of MiUI 12.5 and everything just works (Spent a good few hours customizing the OS), i havent had any of the pesky issues i had fears about (Screen dimming, OS bugs), heck even my Gear S3 watch loaded without a problem.

Android auto loads faster than my S9 had, I use my phone constantly and still go to bed with about 30% of battery left. The Saturn Super Wallpaper is just amazing i find myself just unlocking my phone and locking it just to watch that animation in 120Hz, controlling my almost 20 year old A/C with the IR blaster.

I still cannot believe a device with this spec cost me less than 5.5k, im glad i didnt end up going with a samsung again, This device has made me believe that there are better alternate ecosystems out there, ordered myself a mi box and a pair of true wireless earphones (R299 can you belive that R299????) anyway just wanted to say that their motto suited me and my needs very well "Everything you need, Nothing you dont".

The camera isnt flagship grade, but miles ahead of what i had on the S9, No under display fingerprint reader, no wirless charging, but 33w fast charge on the power brick (mind you that was included in the box with a silicone cover) is more than enough for me full charge in under an hour. If you guys have any reservations on taking the leap, just do it.

IVTEC

So just an update on my experience so far, purchased a POCO F3 on Friday the 25th of June through amazon germany, 3rd party seller, Recieved notification that it was shipped out on that monday the 28th. Notified that amazon had used DHL (what a relief) tracked it on the DHL app for what felt like every hour of the day. When i had initially placed the order Amazon had the estimated delivery date as the 17th of July, to my suprise it was delivered to me that thursday morning (1st July). Been using the phone for almost a week now, being a samsung fanboy having every S series phone since the S2 up to the S9, i have to say ive made the switch. The poco came loaded with the global version of MiUI 12.5 and everything just works (Spent a good few hours customizing the OS), i havent had any of the pesky issues i had fears about (Screen dimming, OS bugs), heck even my Gear S3 watch loaded without a problem. Android auto loads faster than my S9 had, I use my phone constantly and still go to bed with about 30% of battery left. The Saturn Super Wallpaper is just amazing i find myself just unlocking my phone and locking it just to watch that animation in 120Hz, controlling my almost 20 year old A/C with the IR blaster. I still cannot believe a device with this spec cost me less than 5.5k, im glad i didnt end up going with a samsung again, This device has made me believe that there are better alternate ecosystems out there, ordered myself a mi box and a pair of true wireless earphones (R299 can you belive that R299????) anyway just wanted to say that their motto suited me and my needs very well "Everything you need, Nothing you dont". The camera isnt flagship grade, but miles ahead of what i had on the S9, No under display fingerprint reader, no wirless charging, but 33w fast charge on the power brick (mind you that was included in the box with a silicone cover) is more than enough for me full charge in under an hour. If you guys have any reservations on taking the leap, just do it.
From where did you order the true wireless earphones for that price?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Looks good. Anyone own a pair? Are they any good. I know from a price point not to expect miracles.
They support an older codec only so there is lots of hiss in quieter scenes/tracks. Very comfy for extended wearing periods. Battery lasts quite a while, about 7 or so hours by me estimations.

Well worth the price I paid.

deesef

Expert Member
Talking about Xiaomi ear pods: we now have 3 sets of these at home. They are by far the most comfortable earphones that I have ever used. Sound is also pretty good.

Banggood often have them on special for under R400.

[R588.42 17% OFF]Original Xiaomi Air2 SE TWS Earphone AirDots Pro 2SE bluetooth Earbuds SBC AAC Touch Control Low Lag Stereo Headphone Audio & Video Devices from Consumer Electronics on banggood

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
So just an update on my experience so far, purchased a POCO F3 on Friday the 25th of June through amazon germany,

3rd party seller, Recieved notification that it was shipped out on that monday the 28th.

Notified that amazon had used DHL (what a relief) tracked it on the DHL app for what felt like every hour of the day.

When i had initially placed the order Amazon had the estimated delivery date as the 17th of July, to my suprise it was delivered to me that thursday morning (1st July).

Been using the phone for almost a week now, being a samsung fanboy having every S series phone since the S2 up to the S9, i have to say ive made the switch.

The poco came loaded with the global version of MiUI 12.5 and everything just works (Spent a good few hours customizing the OS), i havent had any of the pesky issues i had fears about (Screen dimming, OS bugs), heck even my Gear S3 watch loaded without a problem.

Android auto loads faster than my S9 had, I use my phone constantly and still go to bed with about 30% of battery left. The Saturn Super Wallpaper is just amazing i find myself just unlocking my phone and locking it just to watch that animation in 120Hz, controlling my almost 20 year old A/C with the IR blaster.

I still cannot believe a device with this spec cost me less than 5.5k, im glad i didnt end up going with a samsung again, This device has made me believe that there are better alternate ecosystems out there, ordered myself a mi box and a pair of true wireless earphones (R299 can you belive that R299????) anyway just wanted to say that their motto suited me and my needs very well "Everything you need, Nothing you dont".

The camera isnt flagship grade, but miles ahead of what i had on the S9, No under display fingerprint reader, no wirless charging, but 33w fast charge on the power brick (mind you that was included in the box with a silicone cover) is more than enough for me full charge in under an hour. If you guys have any reservations on taking the leap, just do it.
Welcome aboard.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Anyone here unlocked the bootloader using a Mac with the M1 chip?

I tried the cross-platform MiUnlockTool but it doesn't seem to want to work well on the M1 chipset :(

xbmcfan

Anyone know where you can get the Redmi Note 10 5G 6GB 128GB ROM or even Poco M3 5G?
Maybe I should just wait until it's more readily available.
Seems no one wants to ship to South Africa or they only have the Chinese versions without Google apps.
Would be better to import as local retailers will add a sizable premium to the price.

xbmcfan

Amazon UK has a special for the POCO M3 5G for today if anyone is interested.
Works out R700 cheaper than Amazon DE and R1500 cheaper than the local price(that's not shipping yet).
Then just get a UK to SA plug adapter.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Amazon UK has a special for the POCO M3 5G for today if anyone is interested.
Works out R700 cheaper than Amazon DE and R1500 cheaper than the local price(that's not shipping yet).
Then just get a UK to SA plug adapter.
Hmm , may bite the bullet and buy some other stuff too. Thankfully , my house has support for all plug types in all rooms .. I used to live in UK and when I moved back , decided not to change some of the plugs (like the fuse that comes with UK plugs) so all the 4x4 plug points in house have support, old ZA, international, and new ZA standard . That was a nice moving in project. JPEG_20210710_083314_7231426902235846200.jpg

phly

Expert Member
Anyone know where you can get the Redmi Note 10 5G 6GB 128GB ROM or even Poco M3 5G?
Maybe I should just wait until it's more readily available.
Seems no one wants to ship to South Africa or they only have the Chinese versions without Google apps.
Would be better to import as local retailers will add a sizable premium to the price.
Based on this article ... https://www.itweb.co.za/amp/content/LPp6V7rDA9mqDKQz the Redmi Note 10 is launching as soon as the 14th of this month.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Bought from Amazon UK, with some smart lights and a book . Total with Shipping and customs R5k - not bad at all. Apparently , should have within 10 days