The Official Xiaomi Thread

Conack

Expert Member
Note 10 Pro still wins in my opinion for most users.
The Amoled display is really awesome.

That said, if you're going to play CoD or other graphics intensive games, then the Poco X3 will be the better phone.

FlashSA

Executive Member
So my Mi 9T updated to Miui 12.1.1 with Android 11 on Saturday. I immediately noticed that notifications were no longer being grouped together ( 5x unread chats means 5x notification tiles on the lock screen or when swiping down on the home screen). But worse was to come...

Yesterday I noticed that every single WhatsApp chat's images were blurred if received or sent before the software update. Anything else after the update was fine. After a thorough investigation I discovered all 14gb of existing WhatsApp media was in Root>Whatsapp>Media, whereas Whatsapp was now saving all new media in Root>Android>com.whatsapp>Media. Additionally, my 14gb Google Drive backup had now become 300mb!!

So after reading up on this issue, it appears that from Android 11, the Whatsapp media folder is under Android>etc. The problem, is that the software update process did not move my existing media so WhatsApp lost it and amended the next backup accordingly.

After moving all media folders and their contents to the new Android> folder location, my chats now showed all the images and video's again.

Then came the first Google Drive backup! While it was all done on my 200/200mb fibre line, severe throttling by Google caused the process to take 14hrs!

Finally, I have my WhatsApp fully restored and it is all backed up to Google Drive again.

Be warned! Oh, the notifications bug is ongoing and enjoying AF.

eddybsb4u

Haven't received my POCO F3 just yet, but shouldn't this just work without having to log in to the FNB app.
In NFC settings, set the default app to FNB.
That's how it works on my Wah Wey
I just haven't tried it hence I'm asking and I also expect it to work out of the box

eddybsb4u

The only problem I can see will be getting covers and screen protectors.
I have been strugling to get the screen protector. Takealot do have cover but I think the one I got with the phone is OK for now.

I believe in the next 3 months or so they should have covers

eddybsb4u

The only problem I can see will be getting covers and screen protectors.
I have been strugling to get the screen protector. Takealot do have cover but I think the one I got with the phone is OK for now.

I believe in the next 3 months or so they should have covers

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

Ooooh, that's great. Are you also on the Note 10 Pro?

Settings > Connection & Sharing > NFC > Secure Element Position

Is yours set to HEC Wallet or SIM Wallet?
No I have the Note 8 Pro.

Under Connections & sharing > Contactless payments > Payment default > FNB.

Not sure if it's the same on other phones.

rodga

Honorary Master
So my Mi 9T updated to Miui 12.1.1 with Android 11 on Saturday. I immediately noticed that notifications were no longer being grouped together ( 5x unread chats means 5x notification tiles on the lock screen or when swiping down on the home screen). But worse was to come...

Yesterday I noticed that every single WhatsApp chat's images were blurred if received or sent before the software update. Anything else after the update was fine. After a thorough investigation I discovered all 14gb of existing WhatsApp media was in Root>Whatsapp>Media, whereas Whatsapp was now saving all new media in Root>Android>com.whatsapp>Media. Additionally, my 14gb Google Drive backup had now become 300mb!!

So after reading up on this issue, it appears that from Android 11, the Whatsapp media folder is under Android>etc. The problem, is that the software update process did not move my existing media so WhatsApp lost it and amended the next backup accordingly.

After moving all media folders and their contents to the new Android> folder location, my chats now showed all the images and video's again.

Then came the first Google Drive backup! While it was all done on my 200/200mb fibre line, severe throttling by Google caused the process to take 14hrs!

Finally, I have my WhatsApp fully restored and it is all backed up to Google Drive again.

Be warned! Oh, the notifications bug is ongoing and enjoying AF.
Had the same notification issue but it seems to have fixed itself a while back.

Edit: ok I was mistaken, gmail notifications are fine, its whatsapp thats still messed up

Last edited:

eddybsb4u

No I have the Note 8 Pro.

Under Connections & sharing > Contactless payments > Payment default > FNB.

Not sure if it's the same on other phones.

Yes I have that. Those are the fault settings for setting the payment app.

I just tried tapping with the phone today and it gave an error. Then I had to login to the FNB App to use the Tap to Pay. Which is a lengthy process.

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

Yes I have that. Those are the fault settings for setting the payment app.

I just tried tapping with the phone today and it gave an error. Then I had to login to the FNB App to use the Tap to Pay. Which is a lengthy process.
That's weird. My secure element position is set to SIM Wallet, I didn't set this, think it was like this.

TedLasso

Expert Member
So thoughts about this. I was really hoping Xiaomi wasn't a typical chinese company (but I guess I was in lala land). My question is whether info is getting leaked even if I don't use their default apps. I am thinking I may be going back to Nokia (if they sell anything decent in South Africa) or worse an iPhone

PhireSide

Honorary Master
So thoughts about this. I was really hoping Xiaomi wasn't a typical chinese company (but I guess I was in lala land). My question is whether info is getting leaked even if I don't use their default apps. I am thinking I may be going back to Nokia (if they sell anything decent in South Africa) or worse an iPhone

This is very interesting. I would love to know if using a custom ROM can mitigate this (not that it's of any help for 99% of users out there) or whether the Xiaomi.eu ROMs are also affected.

I'm running Pixel Experience ROM on my Redmi Note 8, which has been brilliant thus far, but once this phone dies I am definitely going to be thinking twice to choose Xiaomi again.

Dave

Honorary Master
This is very interesting. I would love to know if using a custom ROM can mitigate this (not that it's of any help for 99% of users out there) or whether the Xiaomi.eu ROMs are also affected.

I'm running Pixel Experience ROM on my Redmi Note 8, which has been brilliant thus far, but once this phone dies I am definitely going to be thinking twice to choose Xiaomi again.

I’m definitely feeling a little happier having moved back to OnePlus after reading that.

Leisure Larry

Are your banking apps working fine.
IR Blaster still functional with this ROM?

TedLasso

Expert Member

According to the article, the EU ROMs don't use it, but do download the file regularly, so that's still an issue in my mind.

Is the pixel experience ROM , like an Android One ? No fluff except what Google has on their phones?

Did a cursory search into LineageOS but not wanting to deal with reinstall of phone from scratch especially all my Auth apps.