The Olympic Thread of "Go Team South Africa!"

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The Games offically start on Friday with the opening ceremony, but the football tournement tomorrow. Team South Africa is made up of 125 people, taking part in 17 sports. I'll try to post South African results and TV times for events our athletes are taking part in. Banyana Banyana are the first SA team to compete, taking on Sweden tomorrow at 20:45.

SASCOC are targeting 12 medals, but that really is being hopeful. 2008 was a disaster with 1 medal, but hopefully this year will be better.

The schedule is here: http://www.supersport.com/olympics/schedule

Team SA is made up of:

Archery
Karen Hultzer

Athletics
Lusapho April
Lehann Fourie
Cornel Fredericks
Anaso Jobodwana
Stephen Mokoka
Marc Mundell
Coolboy Ngamole
Andre Olivier
Oscar Pistorius
Louis van Zyl
Willem de Beer
Shaun de Jager
Ofentse Mogawane
Oscar Pistorius
Louis van Zyl
Godfrey Khotso Mokoena
Willem Coertzen
Rene Kalmer
Tanith Maxwell
Caster Semenya
Irvette van Blerk Marathon
Sunette Viljoen

Badminton
Dorian James
Willem Viljoen
Michelle Edwards
Annari Viljoen

Boxing
Ayabonga Sonjica
Siphiwe Lusizi

Canoeing
Bridgitte Hartley
Tiffany Kruger

Cycling
Daryl Impey
Robyn de Groot
Ashleigh Moolman
Joanna van de Winkel
Bernard Esterhuizen
Phillip Buys
Burry Stander
Candice Neethling
Sifiso Nhlapo

Equestrian
Paul Hart

Field hockey
Jonathan Robinson
Wade Paton
Andrew Cronje
Lloyd Madsen
Austin Smith (C)
Timothy Drummond
Marvin Harper
Julian Hykes
Lloyd Norris-Jones
Lance Louw
Rhett Halkett
Thornton McDade
Erasmus Pieterse (GK)
Justin Reid-Ross
Ian Haley
Taine Paton

Mariette Rix (GK)
Kate Woods
Illse Davids
Marsha Marescia (C)
Shelley Russell
Dirkie Chamberlain
Lisa-Marie Deetlefs
Pietie Coetzee
Jennifer Wilson
Lesle-Ann George
Nicolene Terblanche
Lenise Marais
Kathleen Taylor
Bernadette Coston
Tarryn Bright
Sulette Damons

Football
Roxanne Barker (GK)
Robyn Moodaly
Nothando Vilakazi
Amanda Sister
Janine van Wyk
Zamandosi Cele
Leandra Smeda
Kylie Louw
Amanda Dlamini (C)
Marry Ntsweng
Noko Matlou
Portia Modise
Gabisile Hlumbane
Sanah Mollo
Refiloe Jane
Mpumi Nyandeni
Andisiwe Mgcoyi
Thokozile Mndaweni (GK)

Judo
Gideon van Zyl

Rowing
Matthew Brittain
Sizwe Ndlovu
John Smith
James Thompson

Lee-Ann Persse
Naydene Smith

Sailing
Asenathi Jim
Roger Hudson

Shooting
Alistair Davis

Swimming
Charl Crous
Heerden Herman
Chad Le Clos
Gideon Louw
Graeme Moore
Darren Murray
Troyden Prinsloo
Riaan Schoeman
Roland Mark Schoeman
Darian Townsend
Cameron van der Burgh
Leith Shankland
Jean Basson
Sebastien Rousseau
Charl Crous
Trudi Maree
Kathryn Meaklim
Karin Prinsloo
Jessica Roux
Wendy Trott
Suzaan van Biljon

Triathlon
Richard Murray
Kate Roberts
Gillian Sanders

Volleyball
Freedom Chiya
Grant Goldschmidt

Weightlifting
Jean Greeff

Last edited:

Devill

Damned
Ok I like watching the olympics but I do not really follow athletics.

Who in the group has a realistic change at making a top 3 finish?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Ok I like watching the olympics but I do not really follow athletics.

Who in the group has a realistic change at making a top 3 finish?
Our best chances are Khotso Mokoena (long jump), Caster Semenya (800m) and Sunette Viljoen (javelin). I just checked, and the Banyana vs Sweden match is on SS4 and HD2 from 20:30 tomorrow.

Edit: and with just days to go, Team SA have this kak:

In a ruling on Saturday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld the appeal of Alex Peternell and ordered that Paul Hart, who had already arrived in England for the Games, must be dropped from the Olympic team.
The Sowetan

I have no idea why one rider was picked over the other, but it is really late to mkae a change now.

Last edited:

Devill

Damned
Our best chances are Khotso Mokoena (long jump), Caster Semenya (800m) and Sunette Viljoen (javelin). I just checked, and the Banyana vs Sweden match is on SS4 and HD2 from 20:30 tomorrow.
Ah thanks, thought Caster and Mokoena would be in with a chance, do not know who Sunette Viljoen is but will use trusty google.

How about our mens hockey team? or is that only for the next Olympics?

Edit: and with just days to go, Team SA have this kak:

The Sowetan

I have no idea why one rider was picked over the other, but it is really late to mkae a change now.
Only in South Africa :(

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Ah thanks, thought Caster and Mokoena would be in with a chance, do not know who Sunette Viljoen is but will use trusty google.

How about our mens hockey team? or is that only for the next Olympics?

Only in South Africa :(
I LOVE hockey, but SA just can't compete. Our home based players are amateurs, and we don't have a national league.

The riders are interesting. Some have accused Alex Peternell of not being South African. He's been in England since he was 17, and tried to join Team GB. His horse also went lame during qualifying. Paul Hart and his horse both went through, and that's why he was chosen. None of it matters though, as SA's equestrian federation won't select Peternell, and thus no one is joing to compete. SASCOC

Celine

Executive Member
why are you ruling out chad le clos? he is an amazing swimmer.

getting on to the swimming, when is too old, old. i see some of the old swimmers in there who are probably in their 30's now. isn't it time to throw in the towel now?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I LOVE hockey, but SA just can't compete. Our home based players are amateurs, and we don't have a national league.

The riders are interesting. Some have accused Alex Peternell of not being South African. He's been in England since he was 17, and tried to join Team GB. His horse also went lame during qualifying. Paul Hart and his horse both went through, and that's why he was chosen. None of it matters though, as SA's equestrian federation won't select Peternell, and thus no one is joing to compete. SASCOC
SASCOCKS have realised they can't go against the court of arbitration, and Peternell will be competing.

That sailing team surprises me. Roger Hudson's pretty good, never heard of the other guy and we have some world class sailors in SA... I suspect the teams are more about quotas and politics than anything else. :/

cr@zydude

Executive Member
why are you ruling out chad le clos? he is an amazing swimmer.

getting on to the swimming, when is too old, old. i see some of the old swimmers in there who are probably in their 30's now. isn't it time to throw in the towel now?
Devil asked about athletics, not the entire Olympic team. Chad le Clos is a great swimmer and a real medal contender.

SASCOCKS have realised they can't go against the court of arbitration, and Peternell will be competing.

That sailing team surprises me. Roger Hudson's pretty good, never heard of the other guy and we have some world class sailors in SA... I suspect the teams are more about quotas and politics than anything else. :/
I saw that SASCOC have agreed to send Peternell.

R13...

Honorary Master
Even though Banyana got a walloping (4-1), Portia Modise scored a beaut:)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You hear someone's chirp this morning? Pity Banyana couldn't play Bafana... then the chicks would have an easy victory

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Banyana were just out of their league. Our team is made up of amateurs playing in provincial leagues, and a few US college players. Sweden has a fully professional national league, on of the best in the world.

Our defense was found massively wanting. 3rd place can get out of the group, so their is still hope. That Modise goal was amazing though!

Did anyone feel like that foreign commentator (not Mark Gleeson) was really biased against women's football?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The opening ceremony is tonight at 10pm SA time. It will be shown live on SABC and SS4 and HD2. Team SA's flag will be carried by Caster Semenya. SA will be one of the later teams to enter, due to teams entering in alphabetical order.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Yesterday Karen Hultzer took part in women's individual archery, and is ranked 46th. That should see her take on Pia Lionette of Italy in the round of 64 on Tuesday.

Today, Daryl Impey is taking part in the men's road race (cycling) which is on SS5 and HD2 from 11:00.

In swimming, Cameron van der Burgh is through to the100m breaststroke semi-final. Chad le Clos is onto the 400m individual medley. Kathryn Meaklim and Heerden Herman missed the cut in the 400m individual medley and 400m freestyle.

Last edited:

lilggg

Expert Member
Cameron van der Burgh got olympic record in semi final, hope he can get something in the final, well done to him.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Cameron van der Burgh got olympic record in semi final, hope he can get something in the final, well done to him.
van der Burgh could be SA's first medalist tonight. Banyana lost 3-0 to Canada last night, and the women's hockey side is playing Argentina at the moment.

Edit: Women's hockey side lost 7-1 in their match.

Last edited: