The OnePlus 10 will run merged ColorOS and OxygenOS; no 9T this year

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

OnePlus has confirmed that not only is any potential 9T off the table for 2021, but that the firm’s 2022 flagship will run a merged ColorOS and OxygenOS.

The move was confirmed in a dedicated blog post over on the OnePlus Forums with company CEO Pete Lau referring to this move as the “OnePlus 2.0 phase.” This move will undoubtedly concern many longtime fans but was confirmed earlier this year as OnePlus announced it would merge the codebases of OxygenOS and Oppo’s ColorOS.

With the integration, I would like to say that OnePlus has entered the OnePlus 2.0 phase. I believe we are now a more mature and reliable technology brand that continues to bring top-quality products to users around the world with the same Never Settle spirit as before.

However, Lau touts the increased update speed as a major benefit of the codebase merge alongside an enhanced or tuned end-user experience. The company head also confirmed that the codebase merger was completed in June, while the recently released OnePlus Nord 2 is the first device to come with an indication of this merger — as it runs OxygenOS as a skin atop Oppo’s ColorOS.

By combining our software resources to focus on one unified and upgraded operating system for both OnePlus and OPPO devices globally, we will combine the strengths from both into one even more powerful OS: the fast and smooth, burdenless experience of OxygenOS, and the stability and rich features of ColorOS. 

MeestaR

Expert Member
My OxygenOS has been stable, so what exactly does ColorOS bring to the table?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
OnePlus 2.0: OxygenOS and ColorOS will merge to form a unified OS next year

OnePlus’ OxygenOS is going away – and so is Oppo’s ColorOS. The code bases for the two will be joined together to create a unified operating system (which will probably have a catchy name, but that hasn’t been announced yet).

This was revealed by Pete Lau who now serves as the Chief Product officer for Oppo and oversees the product strategies for both OnePlus and Oppo. The blog post also contains interesting details about OnePlus’ product line-up going forward, but we’ll get to that in a moment.

The so-called “unified” OS will be customized for OnePlus devices to maintain its status as clean and lightweight software, which is important for fans of the brand. Gary Chen, the Head of OxygenOS, was put in charge of the unified OS. Also, OnePlus bootloaders will remain unlockable for those who want to explore custom firmware.

“I would like to tell you confidently that after overseeing the product development of both systems for a year, I believe that the unified operating system will keep the DNA of OxygenOS that many of you love so much, while also giving you an upgraded experience overall,” writes Lau.

It sounds like most of the changes will be internal. Work on the unification has already started with OxygenOS 12 and ColorOS 12. Lau says that he has already seen the benefits of combining the development teams as the joint effort has led to faster and higher quality software builds.

As far as OnePlus devices are concerned, the unified OS will launch with the 2022 flagship series. Select devices from the current lineup will receive the new OS as part of the next major Android update next year, which ones and when will be announced at a later date (presumably those that are on track to receive Android 13).

Snip 1.png Snip 2.png

ronz91

Expert Member
Only affects phones from Android 13 so my 7T Pro is not affected.