The only telco that can launch a true 5G network in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

Azg

Expert Member
The pilot was in 2018. Two years later - nothing. I fail to see the "edge".

Thor

Honorary Master
This is real 5G not the BS Rain is pushing.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
“With Comsol’s mmWave (28GHz) spectrum, Comsol is the only telco with sufficient spectrum allocation in South Africa to roll out a ‘true’ national 5G-FWA network that in effect matches the marketing hype of 5G to speed,” Colyn said.

“It is important to note that Comsol’s solution is based on fixed wireless access (FWA) with an externally-mounted antenna, such as your DStv dish.”

These frequencies are pure line of sight; they are fine for fixed deployments but useless for mobile or indoor customers.

3.5GHz will be way better for mobile/indoor customers

The digital dividend spectrum will be even better...once we have switched off all analogue signals in 2086

cavedog

Honorary Master
Some only consider Millimeter Wave spectrum to be true 5G.

Spectrum and frequency does not determine if the technology is 5G or not.

By that logic refarmed 3G spectrum in the 2100MHz band is not 'real' 4G then......

Let's say a network gets mmwave frequency spectrum but only like 10MHz of it and can only theoretically get 60Mbps max speeds on it does that make it Not Real 5G?

Speed does not mean anything. NSA is real 5G if people want to believe it or not.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master

This. People seem to be forgetting that with mmWave you either get the massive speeds or nothing. It's only useful for a few meters which is why there's talk of "towers" every 50m or so. Not feasible for urban areas and not feasible without switchover to standard 5G.

dzasta2002

This is real 5G not the BS Rain is pushing.

Talk is cheap.

SABC were the first to showcase HD broadcast during the 2006 World Cup. They were the last ones to have their channels in HD on DSTV, 12 years later.

The "BS" that Rain is offering is not a myth, more accessible and cheaper than fibre, for me feels like 5G (180Mbps is the BS I prefer!)

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
The 3GPP standards on 5G are very clear. Rain's implementation is fully in line with those.

Further, the IMT2020 standards talk about three different performance categories, only one of which focuses on faster broadband.

Fixed-wireless access has proven to be more popular than originally intended, which makes sense given the massive, unfulfilled demand for broadband access choices.

External antennae are obviously useful for in-building coverage and (in Huawei's words) they can help operators to extend the useful range of 5G highsites, rather than increasing site density.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
People seem to be forgetting that with mmWave you either get the massive speeds or nothing. It's only useful for a few meters which is why there's talk of "towers" every 50m or so. Not feasible for urban areas and not feasible without switchover to standard 5G.
I would say mmWave is *only* feasible in urban areas (if at all) - definitely not rural. From my analysis, I agree there is not much of a business case at this stage in South Africa, whereas in the US, a couple of factors make it more attractive.

lotus123

Talk is cheap.

SABC were the first to showcase HD broadcast during the 2006 World Cup. They were the last ones to have their channels in HD on DSTV, 12 years later.

The "BS" that Rain is offering is not a myth, more accessible and cheaper than fibre, for me feels like 5G (180Mbps is the BS I prefer!)
And I also can't overlook the fact that for 18 hours a day I get near (and sometimes better than) fibre speeds on LTE for R250/month. Is their "5G" faster or better value than that? I don't know, but for the price I'm willing to try it.

We have this tendency to obsess over the technology and forget that it should really be about value for money.

Joseph matane

So this guy is just making noise, is the same thing as saying "I can OutRun you within 60 seconds" and then you challenge me to compete with you & suddenly I tell you I'm tired! I can't run now. so I don't understand what was the purpose of this particular article? the guy diss Rain but failed to explain when will Comsol roll out 5G coverage to this area's not one street coverage they currently have?

Swa

Honorary Master
I would say mmWave is *only* feasible in urban areas (if at all) - definitely not rural. From my analysis, I agree there is not much of a business case at this stage in South Africa, whereas in the US, a couple of factors make it more attractive.
By urban I'm referring to populated non-metro areas. The way I see it it's only really feasible for metros where transmitters can easily be installed and not residential areas.

So this guy is just making noise, is the same thing as saying "I can OutRun you within 60 seconds" and then you challenge me to compete with you & suddenly I tell you I'm tired! I can't run now. so I don't understand what was the purpose of this particular article? the guy diss Rain but failed to explain when will Comsol roll out 5G coverage to this area's not one street coverage they currently have?
What they fail to mention is it's patchy. Line of sight literally means that and if a bird gets in the way you lose signal. It's funny how they call it true 5G when it can't function without fallback to regular 5G.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
@Jamie McKane do you even bother fact-checking anything?
He explained that there are three categories of 5G – low-band, mid-band, and high-band or (millimetre wave) – each of which has its own propagation characteristics.
Which is wrong, and so is this:
“Proper understanding in the market place of the different forms of 5G still needs to be properly clarified for the public so that consumers can make the right decisions as to what the correct service is they require,” Colyn said.
“Unfortunately with all the marketing hype, services are not being defined properly.”
He (and you) are further perpetuating an incorrect narrative, 5G is not only the end-point of how the signal is sent, it's also all about how the network itself is set-up, how the cells communicate with one another, etc. which is actually a way more important aspect of it.

As usual, quite disappointed in MyBroadband, at least read the damn spec before you publish this nonsense.