The only way to stop a second wave in South Africa

zophas

Expert Member
I never go for flu shots because it's too much like Russian Roulette. But I might go for the Covid-19 one because I can't afford to get that. Still depends on which one and when we eventually get it.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't understand why they don't just simply close the borders between the provinces, and seal off all the major metro areas to prevent people from coming in or going out (apart from trucks and other essential services). This would prevent the virus from spreading AND it could be done without having to shut down any parts of the economy.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
So we are going to listen to a Humanities geek and rush to get our bodies filled with their junk? No thanks.
MyProf has spoken!

Should we inform him that myboradband has used him in (or out) context?

Staff Profile

Adjunct Professor Alex van den Heever​

PositionADJUNCT PROFESSOR
QualificationsBA, BAHons, MEcon
Phone0117173944
EmailAlex.VanDenHeever@wits.ac.za
Organisational UnitWits School of Governance

lkswan747

Expert Member
I don't understand why they don't just simply close the borders between the provinces, and seal off all the major metro areas to prevent people from coming in or going out (apart from trucks and other essential services). This would prevent the virus from spreading AND it could be done without having to shut down any parts of the economy.
We cant even keep our international border secure so how do you think they will manage the provincial borders :ROFL:

Kola_CT

Expert Member
Yes, tourism will be at an all time economic high...

The only way to stop a major second wave of COVID-19 infections in South Africa this winter is the rollout of vaccines.

This is the view of Professor Alex van den Heever, chair of social security systems administration and management studies at the Wits School of Governance.

This guy is the one who said we'd get to over 26 000 daily infections by June this year - SA's max was around half of that (https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...june-–-professor-alex-van-den-heever.1083385/)

FaSMaN

Expert Member

The only way to stop a second wave in South Africa​

By stopping the mass protest without social distancing and masks?

*Reads article* Nope seems we need to get ready for the second wave.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
I never go for flu shots because it's too much like Russian Roulette. But I might go for the Covid-19 one because I can't afford to get that. Still depends on which one and when we eventually get it.
Flu shots have always worked for me.

Neuk_

Executive Member

The only way to stop a major second wave of COVID-19 infections in South Africa this winter is the rollout of vaccines.

This is the view of Professor Alex van den Heever, chair of social security systems administration and management studies at the Wits School of Governance.

Crazy idea, if we hadn't locked down so harshly in the first place, letting those who would be least affected by COVID-19 carry on living while taking adequate measures to protect the vulnerable, perhaps we wouldn't 'need' to rely on vaccines or more lock downs to 'combat' a virus which has a higher survivability than the supposed vaccine's efficacy?