The Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse doesn't believe that motorists who paid e-tolls will get a refund

mylesillidge

Journalist
No refunds for e-tolls because South Africa is broke — Outa

Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (Outa) chief executive Wayne Duvenage says he doesn't believe Gauteng motorists will be refunded for paying their e-toll bills because the country doesn't have enough money to do so.

In an interview with Newzroom Afrika, Duvenage said Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi was out of line when he announced that motorists would be refunded for paying e-tolls.

Yeah right

And what about international visitors who were forced by car hire companies to pay?

Argh shame, poor, poor government.

You can keep my R4, it will help pay off some of your debts, you bloody idiots!

I believe if you registered an etoll account you’re out of luck based on the t&cs agreed to. Unfair for those who were model citizens really.

I wonder if they want the paperback on which the bills were printed... Guess I can always use mine tonight to start a fire and see my unpaid R45K+ go up into flames :ROFL:

Yeah right

And what about international visitors who were forced by car hire companies to pay?
E tolls still are a legal and valid expense that must be paid by law, so companies are valid to revert the charge to the visitor.

IF e tolls are scrapped, they will also only be scrapped from a certain date in the future going forward.

The only way any refunds can be legally required to be paid back is if the whole e toll system is declared illegal and invalid from the day of inception - which is why I suspect they don't want to take any of these battles to court.

Back