The pain of signing up

mr_norris

Expert Member
I feel like I have become one of those people who rant about Rain, but the signup process has to be one of the most painful ones I've ever come across. If it makes any difference, I got a SIM from Clicks, and attempted the activation and RICA process as soon as I got home yesterday.

The first part of the process is straight forward - give them details of the SIM so they know which one you have. Simple. Uploading proof of address was also easy. However, things came to a confusing dead stop when trying to upload the ID.

You absolutely have to use your mobile to do this. Here is me, turning on my laptop thinking "ai this gonna be a breeze because I already have the pics I need on Google drive". NOPE. You get denied and told to use your phone for this. So off I go and attempt to do it with my phone. The next half hour was me sitting and taking selfies with my ID, pictures of the front, and pictures of the back, and having no luck in things getting uploaded. I tried everything I could think of. Eventually something managed to work and everything uploaded. By this stage, they had already debited my account.

Then came the random emails, and quite a few of them:

1598256092730.png

Most of them went along the lines of this:

I’m getting in touch about the RICA for your rain SIM. Unfortunately, this process hasn’t been completed in 7 days and therefore you have expired.
Please note that RICA needs to be completed by the person who created the profile, in this case Barret needs to upload their documents.
You’ll need to start again for your SIM to be activated. Just follow the steps below and we’ll generate a new RICA link.
1) Login to my rain – link is www.rain.co.za/my-rain
2) Click the order queued for RICA
4) Click the RICA now button
5) A new link will be sent to you
6) Click on the new link and start the RICA online process.
You’ll need your original ID and proof of address to start this process. Please note that your proof of address can’t be older than 3 months. It should have a clear logo and your names and surname should appear as they do on your ID. It should also have an address and not a PO Box.

Imagine my confusion about things expiring after 7 days when it hasn't even been 7 hours. I replied to one of them pointing this out, and got back a confusing response. I asked if there was anything I was supposed to do, and got back a wishy washy response with no direction, just a "let me know if anything else is needed". Do these people have templates saved that they copy paste to emails? Do they bother to read what they're asked? I absolutely hate giving people crap support reviews because it is kak being in customer service, but basic comprehension isn't rocket science.

Anyway, I started ignoring the useless email spam and went back to the link they SMSed, and the page suggested waiting until Monday. Thank the Pope that something works on that side of things, because today it told me that the ID verification failed. So at least I have some direction. Here's to hoping that I can get it to work today and that it doesn't use up my full lunch hour to take 3 pictures.

Famous last words: I hope their actual product isn't as horrible as the signup process.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I had the same trouble trying to get my ID sorted, however I think I hit 200IQ. I am a big fan of Firefox mobile, and it seems that the Rain RICA site is not. I had to lower my standards and install Chrome to get my ID uploaded and verified.