The PC Build Thread

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Quite funny how in 2020 AMD introduced Smart Access Memory while us APU folk have been having it for 12 years already :giggle:

stefan9

Executive Member
Anyone got any idea where in SA one can source a high refresh 4k monitor? Can't find anything but 60hz 4k's listed on any of the usual places.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Anyone got any idea where in SA one can source a high refresh 4k monitor? Can't find anything but 60hz 4k's listed on any of the usual places.

I remember Hardware Unboxes stating in their best gaming monitors of 2020 video that manufacturers are still sorting out some issues with their high refresh 4K monitors, and that 2021 will probably have better options in that regard.

And to be honest, even the 3080 can't max out a 165hz 1440p monitor, so I think waiting is definitely a good idea.

stefan9

Executive Member
I remember Hardware Unboxes stating in their best gaming monitors of 2020 video that manufacturers are still sorting out some issues with their high refresh 4K monitors, and that 2021 will probably have better options in that regard.

And to be honest, even the 3080 can't max out a 165hz 1440p monitor, so I think waiting is definitely a good idea.

I did watch the video. While limited they did mention some good options. Here though can't seem to find even one model listed on any of the shops.

IssiAmd

Last built a rig almost 10 years back.
Totally out of touch.
Poor kids, all they know is console gaming.

Almost went with a next gen console but for the price I figured a PC will make more sense.
Looking to start out with a rig which can generally do 1080/60 on good quality for most games.
Kids mostly play sports and car games.
I average around a game a year or so, story driven games like red dead, tlou etc.

Would appreciate any advice.

furpile

Expert Member
Last built a rig almost 10 years back.
Totally out of touch.
Poor kids, all they know is console gaming.

Almost went with a next gen console but for the price I figured a PC will make more sense.
Looking to start out with a rig which can generally do 1080/60 on good quality for most games.
Kids mostly play sports and car games.
I average around a game a year or so, story driven games like red dead, tlou etc.

Would appreciate any advice.
If you give a budget some of the more knowledgeable guys here can give you some options.

Lupus

Honorary Master
1606723563217.png
I mean that's pretty much the best I could do, you'll still need to get another bigger drive and the case is a MaTX case so its not big. 2k more than your budget unfortunately but the GFX card is supposedly better than a 1660 standard.

furpile

Expert Member
View attachment 963474
I mean that's pretty much the best I could do, you'll still need to get another bigger drive and the case is a MaTX case so its not big. 2k more than your budget unfortunately but the GFX card is supposedly better than a 1660 standard.
I was looking at the same parts just now. Unfortunately prices are very expensive now. I also bought a Ryzen 1600AF earlier this year and it is performing great. Bought a secondhand RX570 off carb, so that is still holding the CPU back. If your budget is tight, look for a secondhard GPU on carb to start off with, can upgrade that later if required.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I was looking at the same parts just now. Unfortunately prices are very expensive now. I also bought a Ryzen 1600AF earlier this year and it is performing great. Bought a secondhand RX570 off carb, so that is still holding the CPU back. If your budget is tight, look for a secondhard GPU on carb to start off with, can upgrade that later if required.
There is that yeah, unfortunately the prices did shoot up during lockdown, they've dropped a bit again compared to what they were in June/July. But second hand GFX cards have gone up, I managed to sell my RX580 for more than I bought it for one year earlier.

IssiAmd

View attachment 963474
Thanks
Much appreciated.
Will work off this as a base and see if I can pick up an item or two second hand.
Second GPUs which were used for mining, should these be avoided?

Sorry, which store are you getting this pricing from?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thanks
Much appreciated.
Will work off this as a base and see if I can pick up an item or two second hand.
Second GPUs which were used for mining, should these be avoided?

Sorry, which store are you getting this pricing from?
This was from Wootware, if the bios is flashable back to normal mining cards can be looked at. But the market is like it was in 2018/2019.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
I'm in a bit of a strange situation. We're moving to Europe (Spain) next year March and I've been looking for a while to build myself an entry level (but upgrade-able) gaming desktop for a while now. My friends finally got into playing some competitive CS:GO and also just got into SQUAD, So I'm wanting to join them. (Playing off my mid 2014 macbook pro hasn't been a lot of fun).

The last time I had a gaming PC was about 10 years ago so I am very out of touch (wtf is Ryzen :D ). I do own a screen, mouse and keyboard already. So I'd just need a box. Last night I put together something that I seem to think is mid-range, but coming in at over R13k already seems a bit excessive and that's without HDD's, PSU and a case.

Is this over-kill for soemthing like CS and Squad? Should I wait till the move and purchase from Yurop. Should I be looking at Intel instead? Apologies for lot's of questions but I feel like a boy in a sweet shop who can't read.

Ideally I'd like to spend under R10k. But I also don't want to be in a position where I potentially could spend a bit more for even better bang for your buck.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I'm in a bit of a strange situation. We're moving to Europe (Spain) next year March and I've been looking for a while to build myself an entry level (but upgrade-able) gaming desktop for a while now. My friends finally got into playing some competitive CS:GO and also just got into SQUAD, So I'm wanting to join them. (Playing off my mid 2014 macbook pro hasn't been a lot of fun).

The last time I had a gaming PC was about 10 years ago so I am very out of touch (wtf is Ryzen :D ). I do own a screen, mouse and keyboard already. So I'd just need a box. Last night I put together something that I seem to think is mid-range, but coming in at over R13k already seems a bit excessive and that's without HDD's, PSU and a case.

Is this over-kill for soemthing like CS and Squad? Should I wait till the move and purchase from Yurop. Should I be looking at Intel instead? Apologies for lot's of questions but I feel like a boy in a sweet shop who can't read.

Firstly, never use Evetech, ever. You will hate yourself and likely end up divorced with your kids on drugs and your sperm sterile.

Secondly, CS:GO can run on a box of Corn Flakes. Give me 5 and I'll put something together.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
Firstly, never use Evetech, ever. You will hate yourself and likely end up divorced with your kids on drugs and your sperm sterile.

Secondly, CS:GO can run on a box of Corn Flakes. Give me 5 and I'll put something together.
Unfortunately I ordered a screen from them yesterday. Sorry kids, enjoy the meth.

I konw that CS isn't too taxingbut as far as I know if you want great FPS, you still need a pretty decent system? SQUAD also seems to hog a bit when you are playing a 50v50.

But thanks in advance for the help :p

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
PC.JPG

If you're willing ot get some secondhand goods you could get a better GPU and be sorted for a while, but this will work fine for what you want to play.