The PC Build Thread

seanyp00h

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
1,660

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
16,542
Get the fastest RAM you can afford, that attached RAM is only 3000Mhz. Ryzens love faster memory, even the 1600AF would prefer 3200.

Yes but trying to keep the budget down. If he can afford faster then I agree, bump to 3200.
 

Cav5034

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2018
Messages
466

ponder

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
89,742
Anyone tried one of these mini cards ? Heard the Asus had heating issues not heard anything about the Gigabyte. I have a pretty standard case with no additional cooling

Why are you interested in a gpu with a smaller heatsink & single fan that will have worse heat dissipation than dual fan models?

Which asus are you referring to?
 

Lupus

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
39,658
Why are you interested in a gpu with a smaller heatsink & single fan that will have worse heat dissipation than dual fan models?

Which asus are you referring to?
My single fan 1660ti doesn't have issues with heat, runs perfectly fine and was pretty quiet. Though looking at the card linked that's a 3 slot config.
 

ponder

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
89,742
My single fan 1660ti doesn't have issues with heat, runs perfectly fine and was pretty quiet. Though looking at the card linked that's a 3 slot config.

They usually have two different designs, the heatpipe version and the plain old finned aluminium heatsink that usually runs hot.
 

L-Dog

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2017
Messages
2,276


Why are you interested in a gpu with a smaller heatsink & single fan that will have worse heat dissipation than dual fan models?

Which asus are you referring to?


Was looking at the smaller version as it is the cheapest but I don't really have a preference.. The smaller GPU is also nice as I might opt for a mini case in a couple of months as I something move the PC between houses although this is just a nice to have.


This is the video I saw however this was the 1660 ti video
 

Jadax

Active Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2020
Messages
82
Anyone ever order cpu or gpu from amazon us? Is it recommended, or stick with local and pay the 2k 'tax'?
 

Lupus

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
39,658
Thanks are you referring to the assus 1660 ti or gigabyte 1660 super, or should one just avoid smaller cards in general?

This is the model I've got in my second PC and I used it for a year without any issues.
 

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
18,947
Info - MSI released a new bios for the B450 Tomahawk Max with AGESA version 1.1.0.0 (the Ryzen 5000 bios). It's probably available on other MSI B450 boards but I didn't check.

I'm not particularly interested in getting a Ryzen 5000 chip yet - maybe when a 5600 is released.
 

ponder

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
89,742
Thanks are you referring to the assus 1660 ti or gigabyte 1660 super, or should one just avoid smaller cards in general?

The asus 1660 phoenix models. Dunno what the gigabute uses. Personally i stick to 2 fans or more
 

Robvd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
266
Hi guys, my current Gpu has gone bust and I need to buy a new one, luckily insurance will cover it. My previous gpu was a XFX 5700 DD, loved the card. For the new card I would like to move up to 1440p from 1080p, 90% of the time I play COD, the other 10% is for some single player games. Should I go for a Palit 3070 at R13k or for a 6800 at R15k? The rest of my pc is b450 tomahawk max, 3200 16gb ram, ryzen 5 3600 and superflower 650w modular psu.
 

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
40,825
Hopefully before the end of the week I'll have that Ryzen 7 4750G Pro APU so I can start this build.
IMG_20201201_202213.jpg

RAM and storage (one M.2 on the back and one on the blue LED riser card) will come from my current B350 build.
IMG_20201201_202225.jpg

First thing I want to do is plop that new 4750 APU into the old B350 and see if it even POSTs. Cause why now?
 

JacquesR

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
600
Info - MSI released a new bios for the B450 Tomahawk Max with AGESA version 1.1.0.0 (the Ryzen 5000 bios). It's probably available on other MSI B450 boards but I didn't check.

I'm not particularly interested in getting a Ryzen 5000 chip yet - maybe when a 5600 is released.
Also available for the B450 Mortar Max. Flashed it and everything is running fine (Ryzen 1600 af), but the flash did reset the bios to defaults, so I had to redo any tweaks.
 
Top