The plan to flip Openserve customers to other networks

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The plan to flip Openserve customers to other networks

Fibre customers in South Africa are acutely aware of a notable pricing difference between ISP packages running on Openserve's infrastructure compared to packages through other fibre operators.

Local ISPs set higher prices for Openserve packages, a choice which Cybersmart founder and CTO Laurie Fialkov said they are forced to make due to the much higher cost of purchasing bandwidth on the Openserve network.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We have fibre overlap in our area. The other network was installed by Motheo Construction and sold to SA Digital Villages. But on our local Whatsapp group there are nothing but complaints about this other network. It goes down very frequently and support leaves a lot to be desired. For that reason I am happy to pay the premium for OpenServe's network as it is rock solid stable. And two years ago I was resolved to never use Telkom again. But here I am. If these other guys want to compete with OpenServe and poach customers, you need to bring your A game.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
"A well-placed industry source who wished to remain anonymous told MyBroadband..."
Why anonymous? This practice of trying to lure/poach customers from one brand to another has been happing forever.

system32

Expert Member
"The motivation for ISPs to shift customers from Openserve was born of capitalism, not conspiracy...
It goes without saying that all ISPs and FNOs are capitalists; they are not doing this for the greater good. Obviously, ISPs look to see where their existing clients are on all networks and are trying to maximise their margins by reducing their cost. If there is a cost advantage to the ISP to move the customer to an FNO and convert the customer from an Openserve service, then simple capitalism is going to incentivise the ISP to do so" - Laurie Fialkov
Best statements in the article - 100% agree.
Telkom (Openserve) had many years of exclusivity and abused customers and now can't compete o_O
  • Consumer disdain for Telkom due to historical malevolent behavior
  • Restrictive product offerings
  • More costly product offerings
No surprises that customers, given a reliable alternative are defecting.

TIP for Telkom: Don't blame others, stop complaining, clean up your act, use your assets, national footprint, size, balance sheet, etc to offer better, less expensive, desirable products.

Swa

Honorary Master
If this is true they are setting themselves up for the same lawsuits that cost Telkom at one time.

Lionelbrink

Huh? OpenServe believes that the individual customer will view the benefit of a national footprint ahead of cost. Does OpenServe actually read their own statements? (PS. If anyone from OpenServe reads this, that query is sarcasm). Another shocking example of Telkoms attitude to customers.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
If this is true they are setting themselves up for the same lawsuits that cost Telkom at one time.
IMO the article is trying to make the practice sound facetious, wheas its not.
What would've been more of interest is if these ISP's would offer to settle things like any clawbacks customers might be liable for, when they switch from Openserve.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Openserve was in first here

Frogfoot came along - bye bye Openserve
Is your area live yet? Walmer looks like it has some ways to go still.

My experience with Frogfoot has been a disaster. Happy to pay premium for Openserve, because it never goes down.
What was so negative about it? I've been looking forward to symmetric speeds on Frogfoot once they finish up.

Happy Days

The company said it does not engage with ISPs on why customers opt to leave its network and therefore has limited insight into why customers could be migrating to other FNOs.
THAT tells you all you need to know about Telkom's mindset.

fingerprintz.mgr

I had less downtime on Openserve fibre in my previous neighborhood than on Vumatel fibre since moving. In the year and a half that I was on Openserve, it didn't go down once, on Vumatel, since February, it's gone down 3 times, for a few hours each time.

phex

Common sense says if you are losing clients, do some introspection and come up with better products and services in time. OOPS!! I forgot very very very loooooooooong red tape for parastatals compared to private sector :p

JayM

Expert Member
Is your area live yet? Walmer looks like it has some ways to go still.

What was so negative about it? I've been looking forward to symmetric speeds on Frogfoot once they finish up.
Random outages that they couldn't find the cause of, erratic latency, unpleasant support. Will never use them for any business or consumer service again.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Random outages that they couldn't find the cause of, erratic latency, unpleasant support. Will never use them for any business or consumer service again.
What area was that? Shouldn't your ISP have been dealing with the fibre network support?

ReggaeBoyz

We have fibre overlap in our area. The other network was installed by Motheo Construction and sold to SA Digital Villages. But on our local Whatsapp group there are nothing but complaints about this other network. It goes down very frequently and support leaves a lot to be desired. For that reason I am happy to pay the premium for OpenServe's network as it is rock solid stable. And two years ago I was resolved to never use Telkom again. But here I am. If these other guys want to compete with OpenServe and poach customers, you need to bring your A game.
Which area is this? If I may ask.