The plan to flip Openserve customers to other networks

ReggaeBoyz

I have Openserve and TT Connect in my area but will rather pay extra to have the stable connection (despite the fact that I HATE Telkom) rather than risk going with TT Connect based on the feedback from other customers.

EasyComs

We would accept OpenServe provided that their prices are competitive. This nonsense about having to subsidise national footprint when a client has no need of that is irrelevant - clients do not care as that is OpenServe's problem.
OpenServe is very slow and sometimes obstructive, and I see them hogging available new fiber by not listing it on the footprint database for competing operators to sell off.
The old ''royal-game'' protections cannot apply to protect OpenServe and/or to make them more profitable.
Telkom should in any case have realized its best scenario was to act as wholesaler - and let the client-facing licensed operators take care of the end user. That would have been and remains the best situation.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yip, went live about a year ago
Dayum. Didn't realise it's been going on so long.

Not bothered though. I have 200Mbps Openserve fibre that performs pretty well, and I can't migrate within 6 months anyway after having just joined Afrihost for their Pure Fibre promo. At least, not without a R999 penalty.

Much better for those with no fibre to get on Frogfoot first. And if Frogfoot sucks they can warn me too.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Dayum. Didn't realise it's been going on so long.

Not bothered though. I have 200Mbps Openserve fibre that performs pretty well, and I can't migrate within 6 months anyway after having just joined Afrihost for their Pure Fibre promo. At least, not without a R999 penalty.

Much better for those with no fibre to get on Frogfoot first. And if Frogfoot sucks they can warn me too.
I'm in Pinelands, Cape Town.

Reality is that having Openserve here is great as a backup - if FF ever goes pear shaped I can always switch back (albeit to 20/10 :eek: as opposed to 100/100 at the same price point and uncapped/unshaped)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm in Pinelands, Cape Town.

Reality is that having Openserve here is great as a backup - if FF ever goes pear shaped I can always switch back (albeit to 20/10 :eek: as opposed to 100/100 at the same price point and uncapped/unshaped)
Could have sworn you used to be in PE. :unsure:

And yeah, very nice having coverage with two fibre networks. Why fibre networks don't prioritise rollouts to areas without fibre though has also confounded me. Large swathes of PE are crying for fibre and here I'm getting a second option.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Could have sworn you used to be in PE. :unsure:

And yeah, very nice having coverage with two fibre networks. Why fibre networks don't prioritise rollouts to areas without fibre though has also confounded me. Large swathes of PE are crying for fibre and here I'm getting a second option.
I reckon they target Openserve areas 'cos they're almost guaranteed to get customers (via switching)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I reckon they target Openserve areas 'cos they're almost guaranteed to get customers (via switching)
You'd think the enthusiasm for signing up for fibre as a new customer would be much greater than simply switching from one network to another.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Customers are always free to switch fibre providers and there is a healthy amount of churn in the fibre industry, but the information above portrays an active plan spanning multiple network operators and service providers to actively poach Openserve customers and migrate them to cheaper FNOs.
Switching between fibre networks is hardly free: either the fibre ISP absorbs a cost or passes it on to the customer, and Vumatel makes it even more expensive to just switch from one fibre ISP to another with an already installed Vumatel fibre line.

Swa

Honorary Master
Switching between fibre networks is hardly free: either the fibre ISP absorbs a cost or passes it on to the customer, and Vumatel makes it even more expensive to just switch from one fibre ISP to another with an already installed Vumatel fibre line.
The article is implying that the network operators are giving incentives and/or absorbing these costs to switch on the isp side if they can get customers to move over.

Jase

Executive Member
Doesn't inspire confidence for Frogfoot rollout in my currently OpenServe only hood.
I was thinking the same. Frogfoot is due to complete by the end of the year and their prices are quite a bit cheaper.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The article is implying that the network operators are giving incentives and/or absorbing these costs to switch on the isp side if they can get customers to move over.
“To flip customers requires the installation of a new ONT in the customer’s home, so to overcome this pain, Openserve’s competitors are flirting with the idea of big ISP incentives to encourage the change,” the source stated.
My impression of what the article is implying, is that Openserve's competitors (other fibre network operators) are still in the discussions stage and that so far none of these "big ISP incentives" have congealed in reality.

This whole idea that fibre network operators (that are not Openserve) would be actively offering incentives to fibre ISPs to try and drive a revolt against Openserve, does not make sense at all: it is far more likely that fibre ISPs are driving such a revolt against Openserve since it is ISPs that are directly affected by Openserve's data charges (not fibre network operators).

That said, Vumatel needs to be pressured to stop charging that insane fee to switch between one ISP and another on Vumatel's own network.