The plan to force South African ISPs to have black ownership

acidrain

Executive Member
You force ridiculous rules, and people will find any "loophole" they can. So much fronting is going to happen which helps no one really but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
You force ridiculous rules, and people will find any "loophole" they can. So much fronting is going to happen which helps no one really but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Fronting is still compliance.

ronald911

Expert Member
Wonder if international media will pick up on this, will cause a pretty quick capital flight as if this can happen to something like an ISP that definitely had a level playing field as post apartheid, what about all the other sectors where you could argue that they existed pre-1994.

Doubt it.. if anything, Fox will... otherwise, this is the kinda stuff that makes SJW orgasm.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
on the face it is, but in actual fact it isn't which is why it is arguably illegal.

As I previously said, most ISPs will be suppliers in one capacity or the other. It is the procurement channel that will expose any abuse. In regard to this relationship, you are dealing with more than a rating agency to determine your compliance. For those who are willing to 'illicitly' trade within these laws, it is best to shy past.

In principle, the act should be opposed than to even take this particular loophole under consideration as you will ultimately end up on ICASA's naughty list which would make you an undesired individual in this sector.

HartsockZA

I like how they say there was public discussions held in 2020. Where and when, I can't seem to find any place they held these events. Just like Etoile you guys do this and watch 80% of WISPs and ISP will then not pay for your bs regulatory crap.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I seem to remember some people on this forum telling me that BBBEE wasn't all that bad because it only applied to businesses that wanted to do business with the government in the form of tendering for services.

In this case, I am not happy to be proven right.

Sad that this is where South Africa has got to.
The plan was always to implement it on all levels. They just started it with government to fool the ignorant.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I like how they say there was public discussions held in 2020. Where and when, I can't seem to find any place they held these events. Just like Etoile you guys do this and watch 80% of WISPs and ISP will then not pay for your bs regulatory crap.
It's been discusses for a couple of years now.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Here is a novel idea.

Maybe BEE should not be about being 30% black owned, but 30% employee owned based on time in service. or maybe "once empowered, always empowered" rules should apply. Something like once you own shares equal to the turnover of 10mil, you don't qualify any more.

It's very hard to argue against those, as being decent better measures for addressing wealth inequality than the current system

But we all know the real reason is so that the politically connected "haves" can "have more".

Blackhand

I often wonder if the ANC government have a daily sitdown and ask themselves, "Any new ideas to damage the economy? It still seems to be limping along". Then they concoct these ridiculous schemes overnight while letting things that would actually improve the economy sit on the backburner for years/decades.

zolly

Expert Member
If I was white I would just pack it in. Tbh, that's what a lot of my white friends with in-demand skills are doing anyway.

Also, what's stopping white people from just changing their race group? Or honestly, just starting to say they identify as African/Black since they were born here? It would be ridiculous, but may make for some interesting discussions in a court room.

Also, if any ISP here is looking for someone with a darker complexion to be the face of their organisation, my DMs are open.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
If I was white I would just pack it in. Tbh, that's what a lot of my white friends with in-demand skills are doing anyway.

Also, what's stopping white people from just changing their race group? Or honestly, just starting to say they identify as African/Black since they were born here? It would be ridiculous, but may make for some interesting discussions in a court room.

Also, if any ISP here is looking for someone with a darker complexion to be the face of their organisation, my DMs are open.

White black. We didn't start that discussion, the corrupt in power did.

I met a black worker that said to me. 'I'm not educated, but I can work'.
That's all that is needed. Willingness.
Not handouts.

This isn't a racial issue to me. I'm a white Afrikaner. It's theft, nothing else but theft.

Also. It's not easy to pack up and leave. It costs a hell of a lot money, which people don't have.

zolly

Expert Member

Not handouts.

This isn't a racial issue to me. I'm a white Afrikaner. It's theft, nothing else but theft.

Also. It's not easy to pack up and leave. It costs a hell of a lot money, which people don't have.

The thing I've been wondering about is it illegal for me to be a "front" guy. For example, if I am willing to enter a legal agreement where I can help a company fulfill their BEE requirements, and they require me to do nothing in exchange for a R1 annual payment or something?

The thing is I'm not against BEE incentives. I'm against it being forced down people's throats. Particularly when said individuals had nothing to do with Apartheid.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
The thing I've been wondering about is it illegal for me to be a "front" guy. For example, if I am willing to enter a legal agreement where I can help a company fulfill their BEE requirements, and they require me to do nothing in exchange for a R1 annual payment or something?

The thing is I'm not against BEE incentives. I'm against it being forced down people's throats. Particularly when said individuals had nothing to do with Apartheid.
Simply put. That is fraudulent. Any front guy, partner or whoever with BEE status need to be active and working in that company or business.

BEE folks can't front and receive monthly payments, no.

ghostRgg

Expert Member

Not handouts.

This is what irks me the most. Listen, if I had the money and a way I would happily pack my bags with my girlfriend and vanish.

But you know, you can't do that, I have tried at least 3 ways and got as close as 3 days to a Swiss citizenship, but missed that boat. The only way now? A crap ton of money and a successful business, but :unsure: