The PlayStation 5 could be more expensive than the PS4 Pro

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member
The PlayStation 5 could be more expensive than the PS4 Pro

Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.’s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit, forcing a difficult price-setting decision in its battle with Microsoft Corp., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The Japanese conglomerate is preparing to gradually replace the six-year-old PS4 console, releasing its PlayStation 5 the same holiday season its archrival debuts the upcoming Xbox Series X.

Sony typically finalizes a console’s price in February of the release year, followed by mass production in the spring. With the PS5, the company is taking a wait-and-see approach, said the people, asking not to be named because the details are private.

[Bloomberg]

Last edited by a moderator:

Apogee

Yes, they are taking the lead from the cellphone manufacturers that realized they can basically ask what they want for the phones, and people will still buy it.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
$450 ( R6700 ), using the current conversion rate, is what the PS4 was landed in SA. More or less.

I'm guessing R8k minimum for the non-pro, landed, this year

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I'm watching the For sale thread for PS 4's. Sell yours now !!

Qrox

Expert Member
$450 ( R6700 ), using the current conversion rate, is what the PS4 was landed in SA. More or less.

My guess would be around 9k for the non pro version and somewhere between 12k - 13k for the pro with how the rand looks at the moment.
As for a extra controller that I'm guessing is going to be R1499 each.

Nemus

Expert Member
Make an "Elite" version, call it spethial and charge R30k, then target the southern suburbs in Cape Town. It will sell out faster than your aunties connection with havianas and boss tshirts...

Executive Member
the PlayStation 5’s retail price would have to be at least $470.
PS3 was $499.99 in 2007

So it actually seems to NOT be the 'most expensive yet' without even considering inflation.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
PS3 was $499.99 in 2007

So it actually seems to NOT be the 'most expensive yet' without even considering inflation.
The $450 mentioned above is manufacturing cost, not selling cost.

Polymathic

Honorary Master

Closer to R9k. In general you add 30% for any imported product
The PS4 was sold slightly below cost at launch

Executive Member
And they speculated a $470 selling price, hell bump that up to $499 just because it's a better number if they want to make a profit.

Still not the most expensive ps console considering inflation.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
R9 - 10 K to sit on your fat ass and look at a screen.

Bump, still waiting for a PS4 special.

Sarg3_ZN

Sony Losing Big Money on PS3 Hardware

The combined materials and manufacturing costs for each device come to about $806 for the model with a 20GB hard drive, excluding the cost of the controller, cables, and packaging, iSuppli said.

With a suggested retail price of $499, that would mean Sony is taking a loss of about $307 on each console it sells. The differential for the 60GB model is less, with the cost exceeding the price tag by $241.
They sold the PS3 for a loss to get BR into as many homes as possible and win the BR vs HD-DVD war.

Hopefully, the PS5 releases for $399, generally they make a loss on console hardware sales which they make up for with accessory and game sales, which at our current ex rate would be about R6000 and after taxes and markups will probably sell for around R8000 to R8500.