The price of building the ultimate home cinema

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The price of building the ultimate home cinema

With major film studios opting to bring their big blockbusters to video streaming services on the same day as their theatrical releases, there has never been a better time to build your home cinema.

A plethora of movies, TV shows, documentaries and other video content are available to stream from services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and Showmax, and with no waiting time.

G.A.S

"Using a projector generally requires the room to be much darker than with a TV, which can limit your enjoyment of content depending on the time of day or layout of the room." -- just like an actual cinema?

CommonSense

And you can go bonkers with your sound system too.
I often drool over the items available here : e-piphany.co.za
Those prices though. Way, way, way out of my league. Still nice to drool over.
Eendag - as ek die lotto wen..... (miskien dan)

And then your room setup (speaker placement and objects in your room) is another rabbit hole.

saor

Honorary Master
"Using a projector generally requires the room to be much darker than with a TV, which can limit your enjoyment of content depending on the time of day or layout of the room." -- just like an actual cinema?
Read the rest of the sentence. The point was that it might be difficult to make your room dark during the day or if you're close to other light sources. A cinema is a walled in box.

Death

The only thing about the cinema that beats watching at home is that the Bluray/Streaming options of the movie are some months down the line from a theatrical release - which blows.
And for those that think what about piracy? Most quality rips are done from Bluray/Streaming services anyway so we've got to wait... And we should never ever ever settle for crappy quality movies!

Robocop

I concur with the balanced setup. Except you don't have to go for a 75" screen. The 58" Hisense would suffice. And why include a blu ray player ?
That brings you to a total of around R24 000.

BraBean

Honorary Master
I have a sub R2000 Vivibright 1080p projector, setup to play on a 200" high contrast projector cloth (Can go up to 300", if I have the space). Awesome!!! And at 4200 lumens, I can watch in the middle of the day in a bright room, no problem.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
Let's not forget not having to deal with the following when going to the cinema.
  1. Queuing for parking
  2. Paying for parking
  3. Wading through crowds of people who don't seem to have anywhere to go
  4. Queuing for tickets
  5. Queuing for snacks and drinks
  6. Paying rare earth metal prices for sugared water and popped corn.
  7. Queuing for the buttered salt that is empty when you get to it.
  8. Queuing before the movie to go the the bathroom
  9. O GAWD, the bathroom
  10. Queuing and waiting to get into the cinema
  11. Wading past people who can't seem to decide which order they want to sit in, to reach your seats.
  12. ADVERTS, so many ADVERTS.
  13. People talking or browsing Facebook on their phone, while the movie is going on
  14. Dealing with the pain of not being able to pause to go the the bathroom
  15. Wading and queuing to go the the bathroom after the move while in crippling pain.
  16. O GAWD, the bathroom
  17. Wading through a sea of people at the food court to get to the exit.
  18. Getting home exhausted, wondering how you ever did this twice a month as a teenager.

L-Dog

Expert Member
Let's not forget not having to deal with the following when going to the cinema.
  1. Queuing for parking
  2. Paying for parking
  3. Wading through crowds of people who don't seem to have anywhere to go
  4. Queuing for tickets
  5. Queuing for snacks and drinks
  6. Paying rare earth metal prices for sugared water and popped corn.
  7. Queuing for the buttered salt that is empty when you get to it.
  8. Queuing before the movie to go the the bathroom
  9. O GAWD, the bathroom
  10. Queuing and waiting to get into the cinema
  11. Wading past people who can't seem to decide which order they want to sit in, to reach your seats.
  12. ADVERTS, so many ADVERTS.
  13. People talking or browsing Facebook on their phone, while the movie is going on
  14. Dealing with the pain of not being able to pause to go the the bathroom
  15. Wading and queuing to go the the bathroom after the move while in crippling pain.
  16. O GAWD, the bathroom
  17. Wading through a sea of people at the food court to get to the exit.
  18. Getting home exhausted, wondering how you ever did this twice a month as a teenager.
If you go to the cinema now you can remove the queuing so your expeinece just got 50% better

Robocop

And don't forget the group who never stops whispering/chatting while the movie is at the most critical moment.
Or the incessant chair kicking.
Or the never ending paper crackling of sweet wrappers.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
And the smoker who went out twice mid-movie and came back with their smoke breath to sit next to you.

TimbaLand

Nothing beats a good home cinema setup. Good advice but I disagree with some of what is said on the article. The beauty about cinema is the immersive experience you get. 50 inch at 2 metres doesn’t give such an experience.

The viewing distance mentioned here applies mostly to old TVs with poor picture quality. With HD and especially with 4K one cam sit much closer to the tv than what’s said in the article. For practicality one will need a booger tv than 50 inch at 2 metres.

yes projectors need a dark room which may make them useless in a lunge setting. Rather invest in dark curtains that can’t control light and install a motorised screen that comes in front of the tv when it’s movie time. That way you can get a 120 inch screen without spending R999k. For that setup of >R1m I would spend the R999k on sound and the rest on projector

TimbaLand

I have a sub R2000 Vivibright 1080p projector, setup to play on a 200" high contrast projector cloth (Can go up to 300", if I have the space). Awesome!!! And at 4200 lumens, I can watch in the middle of the day in a bright room, no problem.
No need to buy an expensive 100 inch tv.