The problem with in-screen fingerprint sensors on smartphones

Dolby

Honorary Master
My BB should do better research
But how does that prove anything on an unreleased phone and rumors?

That's just a YouTube video saying 'yea, it'll work...' and I'd probably exclude that from any research I did as well.

On topic, I haven't added a screen protector to my Huawei M20P - but the facial recognition is so fast, that 90% of the time it opens before you've even had time to lay your finger on the screen...

Gekco

Expert Member
But how does that prove anything on an unreleased phone and rumors?

That's just a YouTube video saying 'yea, it'll work...' and I'd probably exclude that from any research I did as well.

On topic, I haven't added a screen protector to my Huawei M20P - but the facial recognition is so fast, that 90% of the time it opens before you've even had time to lay your finger on the screen...
I have a screen protector on my Mate 20 Pro and the fingerprint sensor doesn't work.
+1 on the facial recognition. No need for the fingerprint sensor.

NeoAcheron

I'm not sure it's a problem. I'm not entirely sure screen protectors do much anyway, most phones have incredibly hard glass surfaces that prevent scratches already, and screen protectors do nothing to prevent cracking. If it's a phone screen that isn't particularly hard, then that is another case though, but on the cheaper phones a new screen might actually be cheaper than one of the "premium" screen protectors.

I actually feel that screen protectors are simply a money making scam, and deducts from the overall aesthetic and usability of the device.

Am I just being ignorant, and possibly very careful with my device?

henry1103

I have a screen protector on my Mate 20 Pro and the fingerprint sensor doesn't work.
+1 on the facial recognition. No need for the fingerprint sensor.
I have a film protector on and it works flawlessly on mine.

genetic

Honorary Master
The OnePlus 6T comes with a in-screen fingerprint sensor and a pre-installed screen protector which works perfectly well.

ArmadilloTek need to learn how to make better screen protectors then.