The pros and cons of your ISP managing your router

Anthro

Expert Member
Im currently using Lightspeed (Cybersmart)' own router, it gets proper throughput ie 200Mbps Down and 200Mbps Up.
Using my own SFP capable router, I only get 50Mbps.
Contacted them many many months ago - with no resolution as of yet.
Now I just stick with their router (which I have access to make changes) - it performs, but I dont like the fact that they can just randomly login whenever (tin foil hat mode engaged)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Im currently using Lightspeed (Cybersmart)' own router, it gets proper throughput ie 200Mbps Down and 200Mbps Up.
Using my own SFP capable router, I only get 50Mbps.
Contacted them many many months ago - with no resolution as of yet.
Now I just stick with their router (which I have access to make changes) - it performs, but I dont like the fact that they can just randomly login whenever (tin foil hat mode engaged)
Do you not have the ability to change usernames and passwords etc.

Anthro

Expert Member
Do you not have the ability to change usernames and passwords etc.
1. I have ability to change WLAN security and SSID
2. I can change (and have changed my login) - but they changed it back to the details on their printed form
- they have some "super admin" type login which I cannot get into, and dont have the details of

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
lol... days of ISP managing your router... MWEB anyone?
If I had to allow that to happen at my workplace I'd be laughed out the building.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
“[Customers] are welcome to connect their own router behind ours, thereby achieving that goal of LAN management.”
This is completely useless if their router has more security holes than a slice of swiss cheese. Like default login credentials and Wifi security disabled in this case, and even if this wasnt the case a crooked employee can simply change the routing/DNS or a multitude of other things and BAM your susceptible to man in the middle attacks and data leaks.

Personally I will never trust a router I am not managing myself.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
This is completely useless if their router has more security holes than a slice of swiss cheese. Like default login credentials and Wifi security disabled in this case, and even if this wasnt the case a crooked employee can simply change the routing/DNS or a multitude of other things and BAM your susceptible to man in the middle attacks and data leaks.

Personally I will never trust a router I am not managing myself.
As did happen at a company I worked at... MWEB washed their hands clean, meanwhile I was blamed because I happened to be the guy who merely moved it from downstairs to upstairs so that we could monitor the thing (internet was going off a lot in those days)

sajunky

Honorary Master
1. I have ability to change WLAN security and SSID
2. I can change (and have changed my login) - but they changed it back to the details on their printed form
- they have some "super admin" type login which I cannot get into, and dont have the details of
They probably access your device using TR-069: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069
I seriusly doubt they did reset your password intentionally. They did probably upgrade firmware remotely on all devices simultenously, then it hapens. Other networks like Vumatel supply not routers, but managed switches. It is more future proof and more convenient both for ISP's and users, as your router is entirely under your control and network company can use other ports for supplementary services like IP telephony or IP TV.

If you are sensitive over this issue, look in the router settings for TR-069 settings and disable it. On the occassion disable the option responding to the ping from WAN. It doesn't stop TR-069 access, but it makes a router invisible from Internet. If TR-069 is hidden from you, then I suggest changing your login/password again and again. You will know at least how frequently they reset your router to defaults.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
The issue is that most ISP's do a poor job. Some don't even do any job, not even router updates.

It should always be optional.