The prospect of Windows 8

Mbuzi

Expert Member
Eish, I would rather keep my XP and upgrade in 2012 then

LFX

Expert Member
I don't think SA will be ready to harness the cloud support full-on come late 2012.... atleast not with telkom still around.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Given the hit-miss regularity of Windows OS, they should only develop Windows 8 up to beta stage, and then go all out on Windows 9.

MFour

Expert Member
Eish, I would rather keep my XP and upgrade in 2012 then
Same here. XP is still serving it's purpose both at home and at work. No reason to pay large sums of cash to replace something that is not broken.

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
I just hope they move the majority of the OS to managed code like they did with the original pre-release builds of Vista. It would be awesome if Singularity became a commercial reality.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Cloud storage: This is pretty much guaranteed. Already many OS makers are shifting document storage online and by 2012 storing data locally will be considered a legacy process.
I hope that we all have decent line by then to be able to upload the data.

Penquin

Expert Member
I'm expecting something big from the 360's Kinect being integrated into Windows 8. Complete peripheral-less control. No keyboards/mouse. Everything just works via facial recognition, voice en gestures.

jouda

Expert Member
Ubuntu 10.10 is now a month old and Canonical is working on its successor, Ubuntu 11.04 .
You are comparing donkey crap (windows) with figs (Ubuntu) here :D hehe. The guys at Canonical can start working on the next release a lot sooner because they have a lot less bugs and thus a lot less patches to develop :p

jouda

Expert Member
Everything just works via facial recognition, voice en gestures.
What would windows do if it sees you are frowning and that you are getting upset with it??? Nothing, its used to it by now :D

Fearl3$$

Nice to see that Windows 8 will be in the same Leage as Windows ME(Many errors) and Windows Vista - Both of them where Trail' os's To make money out of to fund their next big and Better working OS.
With WIndows XP Support almost EOL(or it already Reached EOL). Most Corprate's are starting to Use Windows 7, and change their enviroment to be compatible with the "new" OS.

In My view Windows 8 will be a Fail like the rest of its sister Os's that never Made it in the Long Run.... Windows 7 Will Replace Windows Xp. But Windows Xp was / is one of their best build os's yet... It's have been running for 8 or 9 years now(it might be longer or shorter cant remeber exactly how old Xp is now). Windows 7 or what ever other OS, will have to be truthfully great to beat that.

tiandup

I cant seem to understand people who still want to use XP rather than Win7. Sure if its too expensive then stay with it but the time has come for change. :wtf:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I just spend allot of money on windows 7. I don't want to buy something and then it is only relevant for a year or two.

Grim147

lol @ 128bit , half the world has not progressed to 64bit and those who have are very far from hitting its limits ? am i missing somthing

Shayd

Expert Member
Windows suffers the same problem as Star Trek movies, every second one is shyte.

Microsoft needs to realize they are making an OS and that OS should have a life of at least 5 years, there is simply too little development in the IT space in a shorter period to justify a new OS. Otherwise you end up in a situation like windows ME and Vista where there is no wide scale adoption as people see it as paying money for bugger all.

BluStorm

I'm using Windows 7, and I really do miss XP. I've been able to do most things (and more in some cases), but I REALLY don't like the look and feel of 7 (and Vista). They've made it idiot proof, and in doing so, made it more cumbersome for the non-idiots.

There are some nice features in 7, but on the whole, I still prefer XP.

One thing that caught my eye in the article.... 128-bit OS? Erm, aren't we having enough issues with 64-bit? Also, where are the 128-bit processors? I've been running XP x64 since 2005, and there are STILL things that don't work in 64-bit. Something small (and due to be abolished is MS and Apple have their way) is Flash player. There is no 64-bit version as yet. if something so entrenched in our daily lives only works in 32-bit, what chances do we have of having 128-bit versions. Also the thing that gets me, is MS said XP would be the last 32-bit OS. Vista was due to be only 64-bit.... then 7 came out... with 32-bit and 64-bit versions.... somehow I don't see 8 being even 64-bit minimum, so how can they consider 128-bit.

hyarion

I cant seem to understand people who still want to use XP rather than Win7. Sure if its too expensive then stay with it but the time has come for change. :wtf:
Because windows 7 still offers no real reason to upgrade from xp. Yes it has fancy graphics, yes it has a handful of novelty features, but there's nothing groundbreakingly new that warrants the upgrade. I mean microsoft went and developed directx10 for vista+ only - and I can tell you now it wasn't because it was "too hard" to develop it for xp, it was because they needed to find a reason to get people to upgrade, so they preyed on the gamers.

For the end-user windows 7 is brilliant. It gives all the flashy graphics and novelty features they can imagine. For power users - i.e. those who actually work on and repair them - it offers nothing new that is particularly useful. At least nothing that one can't wonder - "why didn't they just spend 1 month coding and add it as a feature to xp?".