The racism related news articles thread

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Hmmmm, black voice... Is this now the new Black Face(TM)?

I still believe that people are overreacting to stereotyping. The other day it was blaccent and now this...

All I have learned today is that couloured and Indian people have a black voice.

Cr419

Executive Member
They should have used woolies water, now they're accused of 'black voice'.

Years ago there was this big sign outside the old durban airport saying 'welcome to durban and all' and some indians took offence, complaints blah blah blah

They forgot to remove this,

Time to file those complaints and get the sahrc to serve some justice on those biatches.
Don't see anything offensive in that video, South Africans really need to get over themselves.

ponder

Honorary Master
Don't see anything offensive in that video, South Africans really need to get over themselves.
That's the only video I could find where they used an indian accent. Their facebook & instagram pages were taken down.

From what I gather the sole issue is them using an indian accent & vocab at times, this offended people and the witch-hunt started.

People did mention in that woolies water thread that reversing the roles has the potential to backfire on you.

surface

Expert Member
I totally agree although video you saw is not deemed offensive. Apparently, some Taj & Maj video where these 2 were poking fun at Indian accent. I haven't watched that one as it was removed by them. Usual story about them having non-put-own-your-race-here-friends and all and all...

https://www.iol.co.za/thepost/duos-racist-instagram-taj-and-maj-videos-slammed-19899092

“We as Durban girls have a bunch of Indian friends, never meant to cause offence to anyone or race for that matter. We love everything about Indian people,” they said.

They acknowledge the videos were offensive and apologised for their actions.

surface

Expert Member
People did mention in that woolies water thread that reversing the roles has the potential to backfire on you.
I think no one takes offense if one pokes fun at many races (including your own). Russel peters or local example Kevin Perkins - he has got a Indian avatar named Mike Naicker and his shows were hit in durban/indian community. Or Xhosa speaking jew as he calls himself Nik Rabinowitz. No one is bothered in these cases. I think trick is to make fun of one's own community/religion/tradition first and then make fun of others.

“This offence is globally known as ‘black voice’ - when a white person deliberately mimics the accent of any community that have previously been the victims of racism: yes - this includes South African Indian people,” the post read.
Hold up, so whites can "black voice" Chinese people?

ponder

Honorary Master
I think no one takes offense if one pokes fun at many races (including your own). Russel peters or local example Kevin Perkins - he has got a Indian avatar named Mike Naicker and his shows were hit in durban/indian community. Or Xhosa speaking jew as he calls himself Nik Rabinowitz. No one is bothered in these cases. I think trick is to make fun of one's own community/religion/tradition first and then make fun of others.
Those people are all comedians, they get treated a bit differently.

Cr419

Executive Member
I totally agree although video you saw is not deemed offensive. Apparently, some Taj & Maj video where these 2 were poking fun at Indian accent. I haven't watched that one as it was removed by them. Usual story about them having non-put-own-your-race-here-friends and all and all...

https://www.iol.co.za/thepost/duos-racist-instagram-taj-and-maj-videos-slammed-19899092

“We as Durban girls have a bunch of Indian friends, never meant to cause offence to anyone or race for that matter. We love everything about Indian people,” they said.

Is there a link to this offensive video, because this one sure as hell is harmless?

ponder

Honorary Master
They don't really have much choice and would be done under duress in order to secure a more favorable outcome.

You obviously don't remember the Stellenbosch purple face incident?

Those girls publicly apologized for the racist offense they caused and accepted full responsibility, they were suspended by the university and were threatened with violence and death. They did not have much choice, it was the easy way out.

So in your mind apologizing is an admission of guilt?

ponder

Honorary Master

schumi

Honorary Master
PMB meeting could fan racial flames between Africans and Indians, ANC warns

Durban - A PUBLIC meeting aimed at calling for an “urgent wake-up call for Indians, coloureds and whites” against black African racism, turned into chaos in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, on Thursday night.

The South African Minority Rights Equality Movement (Samrem) staged the meeting in Raisethorpe.

In a recent social media post, Samrem accused black Africans of being more racist than white Afrikaners.

The meeting was called to debate thorny issues. The rights group claimed the ANC-led government had deliberately neglected minority groups and the challenges they faced.

“ANC representatives have stated that Indian, Coloured and White areas are not to be maintained and after 20 years, areas such as Chatsworth, Phoenix and Clare Estate, are overrun with squatters, filth, drug addicts and crime,” read the invite to the meeting.

In previous media reports, Samrem’s convener Ashin Singh, a Pietermaritzburg magistrate, accused “racist” ANC government of oppressing minorities; whites, Indians and coloureds. He said the minorities were oppressed because they were hard-working and “intelligent”, unlike their black counterparts.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/sunday-tribun...tween-africans-and-indians-anc-warns-19934800

rietrot

Honorary Master
meeting aimed at calling for an “urgent wake-up call for Indians, coloureds and whites” against black African racism, turned into chaos
Bad reporting from IOL after leading with that I expect to see some people throwing chairs across the room.