The real price of electric cars is thousands of jobs

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The real price of electric cars is thousands of jobs

Most people will be happy to see the back of the combustion engine. Cleaner air and less dependence on oil are good reasons to look forward to the mass adoption of electric cars.

But for the 3 million or so Europeans working in the auto industry, the transition to the new technology is a source of great anxiety.

[Bloomberg]

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Wonder what jobs the future will have when you have:

1. A robot to clean
2. A robot to grow and make food
3. A robot to do your job

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Someone to maintain the robots XD
To be honest if I had a full list my comment will only be up in 10 days.

Why not have a robot fixing another robot.

I like this one - A robot to fix humans, aka Doctor.

We are all screwed for jobs.
Better start the company selling the robots

Flarsiep

How much coal or oil would have to be burned by power stations to make up the demand if 5 million cars for example needs to be charged?
I know in SA that Eskom would not be able to cope for one, and secondly would run out of coal, as things stand now.

Electric cars are not as clean as people would like to think. That power needs to come from somewhere...

So those people building the motor can move across to the new power stations being build :D

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
There's a saying, the only thing that is consistent is change.

The banks are go through the same, so is IT with all the disruptive technologies. If you aren't moving forward is your respective field you are sure to be left behind.

Executive Member
To be honest if I had a full list my comment will only be up in 10 days.

Why not have a robot fixing another robot.

I like this one - A robot to fix humans, aka Doctor.

We are all screwed for jobs.
Better start the company selling the robots
Robots are more expensive than people. Unless you're a large business to support the costs, robots are not viable.

I predict the huge guys will win with "robots" while you'll find the creation of smaller "friendly" businesses within communities that support each other in their uniqueness.

Will robots invade those businesses? Maybe, but I don't see it being worth the investment to the robot controllers.

konfab

Honorary Master
But for the 3 million or so Europeans working in the auto industry, the transition to the new technology is a source of great anxiety.
The biggest risk to their jobs is the relative simplicity of electric cars, there is much less to go wrong and break on an electric car.

But that is a seriously long term risk, the chances are that people will want to keep their existing cars going for as long as possible.

spiff

Expert Member
INDUSTRY 4.0 is already happening - labour to expensive / unreliable.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
How much coal or oil would have to be burned by power stations to make up the demand if 5 million cars for example needs to be charged?
I know in SA that Eskom would not be able to cope for one, and secondly would run out of coal, as things stand now.

Electric cars are not as clean as people would like to think. That power needs to come from somewhere...

So those people building the motor can move across to the new power stations being build :D
Oil?

You realise there are ways to generate power without the pollution right?

For that matter, many electric car owners could sustain themselves and require no power station at all. Many already do.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Robots are more expensive than people. Unless you're a large business to support the costs, robots are not viable.

I predict the huge guys will win with "robots" while you'll find the creation of smaller "friendly" businesses within communities that support each other in their uniqueness.

Will robots invade those businesses? Maybe, but I don't see it being worth the investment to the robot controllers.
But...big but - As robots gets more complicated the older version might become cheap and obsolete.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
This thread reminds me of the massive assumption and twitter outrage I witnessed on the weekend when someone posted about McDonald's new order system and how so many jobs of cashiers have been lost because of it.

Yet nobody has lost a single job, they are simply working elsewhere in the restaurants and quite frankly their general demeanour is better than ever and it's actually a pleasant experience to go to McDonald's now.

Not to mention faster and easier orders mean MORE WORK coming in and MORE STAFF to accommodate it.

Alongside the electric car is a massive new industry with thousands of jobs, they are simply different jobs.

eg2505

Honorary Master
The biggest risk to their jobs is the relative simplicity of electric cars, there is much less to go wrong and break on an electric car.

But that is a seriously long term risk, the chances are that people will want to keep their existing cars going for as long as possible.
imagine, no gearboxes to break, no exhaust to replace,
Tesla is trying to mitigate some of the job losses by making their cars "luxury" cars, and adding lots of cool but unnecessary tech to a car.
in the hopes that that will "save" some jobs

until somebody puts together a VW beetle or Nissan 1400 but that is electric, we wont truly see the benefits of electric cars.

konfab

Honorary Master
The real price of ICE cars is pollution and death
View attachment 681019
Actually the real price of ICE cars has been a ridiculous increase in the standards of living for society.

The industrialisation and freedom that the internal combustion engine bought the world can barely even be measured. There was almost no true freedom of movement in the world until the ICE. Either you were poor and stayed at home, walked around or if you were lucky, took a train. Or you were rich enough to own a horse and could get around that way.

Compare that to a poor country like India and how a simple vehicle like a scooter can lift a whole family out of abject poverty.

Give credit where credit is due. The ICE, in cars, trucks and motorbikes has most likely played a key part in the greatest poverty reduction human history.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Also in many cases, robots are used where humans could not do the work anyway. Such as heavy lifting etc.

Tesla is an appropriate and good example of how robots haven't taken anyone's jobs, they supplement them with efficiency.

A robot, for instance, cannot put the wiring look through the firewall into a Tesla without firstly taking forever (trial and error) and/or breaking the thing.

A human, on the other hand, looks at it once and puts it through the first time with the nuance of human feeling to make it worst the first time and more effectively.

The robots move the cars along the track, something humans can't do anyway.

konfab

Honorary Master
imagine, no gearboxes to break, no exhaust to replace,
Tesla is trying to mitigate some of the job losses by making their cars "luxury" cars, and adding lots of cool but unnecessary tech to a car.
in the hopes that that will "save" some jobs

until somebody puts together a VW beetle or Nissan 1400 but that is electric, we wont truly see the benefits of electric cars.
Forget that stuff, ICE engines have to contain millions of explosions. That is wear and tear that electric cars simply don't have. If the car companies really wanted to go green and save the planet, they would design their cars in such a way such that they are easy to repair and maintain. They won't go that way because that is how they get people to buy new cars, but given that we are in an era of disruptive businesses, I think it is rife for the taking.