The real reason many South Africans do not have Internet at home

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Another (major) one is coverage. Or availability of copper/fiber etc

Thor

Honorary Master
max 2Mbps won't spark interest in anyone so can you blame them?

Solitude

Executive Member
Also in most cases you have to deal with Telkom. That alone would make most people rather not have internet.

Necropolis

Executive Member
I'm sure money is another huge issue.

For a lot of people something like internet at home is a pretty huge luxury that they cannot afford.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I think this is bolox.
22% - hardware too expensive
3% - service too expensive

Doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought the other way around.

Also, as mentioned, can you imagine the cable theft of copper if ADSL was taken into the townships.

I wish every SA'n had internet so they could all be educated and informed because that is the only way we will ever get a new government.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
internet connection is still a luxury some people cannot afford, much like dstv. I wonder where did this survey take place and who were interviewed

Jakes147

Expert Member
max 2Mbps won't spark interest in anyone so can you blame them?

My neighbour a guy in his late thirties has the opertunity to sign up for 10mbps uncapped fibre for R550 or 25mbps at R799 and he says he's happy with 3g. Its like speaking to a luddite.

Necropolis

Executive Member
My neighbour a guy in his late thirties has the opertunity to sign up for 10mbps uncapped fibre for R550 or 25mbps at R799 and he says he's happy with 3g. Its like speaking to a luddite.

Well if 3g satisfies his needs then what's the problem?

Not everyone are bandwidth hungry monsters.

Thor

Honorary Master

3g is quite fast

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
To be honest, pretty much everyone in South Africa has access to internet. You have a smartphone, you have access.

3g is just too overpriced for the average consumer though..

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
I could well imagine extreme rural people not getting connectivity, and extremely poor folk not being able to afford a phone / tablet / MSI gaming laptop or the like .... but lack of knowledge / skills / need - which makes up 72% of that 22% is quite concerning .... considering internet connectivity is pretty mature.

koeksGHT

Dealer
I could well imagine extreme rural people not getting connectivity, and extremely poor folk not being able to afford a phone / tablet / MSI gaming laptop or the like .... but lack of knowledge / skills / need - which makes up 72% of that 22% is quite concerning .... considering internet connectivity is pretty mature.

ANC is doing it's job well

Swa

Honorary Master
I concur with this. When I was going around people flat out said they weren't interested when they heard the word internet. 3G provides for 98% of people's needs in this country. The industry needs to do much more to drive interest in fixed line technologies and seeing how they place artificial caps on a technology they aren't even nearly on the right track.