The real reason Vumatel's fibre prices are so high

wingnut771

Honorary Master
In the article it says "This price freeze will remain in effect until the Disaster Management Act is halted." I just received an email from cool ideas to say that my price is increasing. What gives?
Dropping 10/2 & 20/2 and forcing you to take the higher package.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I stopped reading here:

"Instead, Vumatel CEO Dietlof Mare provided an overview of its current operations. His feedback is provided in full below."

ijacobs3

Expert Member
The real reason Vumatel's fibre prices are so high: Profits
this is true, however, i dont mind paying high prices for good service ( al least where i live the service is good)

I know a person in our area on OpenServe, who waited 10 working days for a OS tech to pitch, and a week for an issue to be resolved. Where as with vuma, i logged a call via my ISP, and not even a hour later, there is a pink bakkie outside my house. In the end, Ekhuruleni had damaged a small portion of a cable ( 6 homes affected if i recall). They dug open the hole, redone the section of cable, and wrapped up by 8:30pm . 9pm they came around again , just to make sure all was working. This all on a Sunday.

If thats the service i have to pay extra for, i'll do it with a smile on my face !

Mercury12

Expert Member
this is true, however, i dont mind paying high prices for good service ( al least where i live the service is good)

I know a person in our area on OpenServe, who waited 10 working days for a OS tech to pitch, and a week for an issue to be resolved. Where as with vuma, i logged a call via my ISP, and not even a hour later, there is a pink bakkie outside my house. In the end, Ekhuruleni had damaged a small portion of a cable ( 6 homes affected if i recall). They dug open the hole, redone the section of cable, and wrapped up by 8:30pm . 9pm they came around again , just to make sure all was working. This all on a Sunday.

If thats the service i have to pay extra for, i'll do it with a smile on my face !

I think it really depends on your personal experience. There are posts on here complaining about Vumatel. I am on MFN, prices are really higher and service is terrible.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
They have a captive market, they have no competition in a lot of areas. They are greedy.

There, no need to read the garbage published in the article

gboy

Expert Member
If you lower prices more people would be able to afford it, more people paying a smaller amount is much better than unhappy clients paying a larger amount. Not to mention the captive networks. Competion commission? Especially for complexes or estates, where they make exclusive deals, Baldwin, SADV/vumatelvillages. In my estate alone there is more than 1200 captive only option connections.

Zae87

Not our problem. Raising prices will just cause more people to jump ship. Then there's also 5G on the horizon that will make it much easier and cheaper to connect. Vuma chose to go with expensive tech and their installations are also among the most expensive.

This would be the perfect opportunity for Telkom to roll out in Vuma areas.

Question though, can Openserve trench and lay cables in a Vumatel exclusive area/estate? To my understanding, I don't think so unless Vumatel rip out their infrastructure first

RVFmal

Expert Member
Ag shame. Ripping off their clients in areas they monopolise will only lead to said customers finding alternatives or making loud requests for other FNO's to install infrastructure (much like our community is doing).

And when those clients they have been milking do eventually leave, it will make it all the more difficult to pay off that debt. Bit of a double-edged sword as they say (and not unlike where Eskom finds itself - except in their case there is literally no competition so they can hike prices to their hearts content).

jasonha

There is no competition if there is only one fibre provider in a area/surburb. That is a monopoly. In other countries there are multiple infratructure providers in the same surburb(s) allowing for competition between the infrastructure providers.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Sounds like an answer to a teacher asking : why is your homework not done ?
Care two shits about your financial position, just as you do when it comes to billing your clients at the end of the month, so spare us the lamentations...I am sure plenty of these TLDR, walls of text to follow .... In my area the struggle has already started, seeing what other providers will be willing to trench and compete...

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
I'm off Vumatel the minute Starlink is available. Not because of the price, because of the downtime.

ab-user

Expert Member
I know a person in our area on OpenServe, who waited 10 working days for a OS tech to pitch, and a week for an issue to be resolved. Where as with vuma, i logged a call via my ISP, and not even a hour later, there is a pink bakkie outside my house. In the end, Ekhuruleni had damaged a small portion of a cable ( 6
Anecdotes are dangerous. From when I reported my Vuma fibre line being down to when it came alive again (also municipal digging related) took 10 days. If I had a choice of another fibre network provider I would have jumped ship.

DreamKing

Honorary Master

The real reason Vumatel's fibre prices are so high​

monopoly