The real reasons why Eskom is a total mess

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Comparison with other utility CEO's is pointless. They are both as white as Lilly's.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
This is utterly embarrassing and nobody can (will?) do anything about it.
Spot on.

The ANC saw a fat piggy when Eskom made that 1 Billion profit.... they killed that piggy!

Amazing how competitive we were to super ****. The ANC liberated the country, and the economy in sy moer in...

whatwhat

Executive Member
This is utterly embarrassing and nobody can (will?) do anything about it.
South Africans don't want to cause a scene. They will post about it on Facebook but that's about it.

Best country in the world to take advantage of.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
South Africans don't want to cause a scene. They will post about it on Facebook but that's about it.

Best country in the world to take advantage of.
Haha! Well, when trying to cause a scene and you're of a certain colour. Then your scene can end up costing jail time and a fine. Cause everything will be turned around to the race card, as everything in the country always does.

R13...

Honorary Master
Here's Eskom's generation availability up to week 5 of this year. Not very pretty reading.

*the reports are publicly available on their website

Attachments

eg2505

Honorary Master
so to ask the dumest question,
if SA were to suddenly be serious, and half the national GDP was to go to eskdom,

would there be any way to pull eskdom out of its hole its dug for itself?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why would half the national GDP be given to Eskom? on what grounds, and for what projects would Eskom need $180b USD?

daveza

Honorary Master
Why would half the national GDP be given to Eskom? on what grounds, and for what projects would Eskom need $180b USD?

Well it needs R420 billion just to pay its debt.

But yeah, half is a bit steep.

Edit: R420 billion debt ? o_O

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Yeah, but why would any company pay off long term strategic secured debt in a single year? Thats a piss poor use of gearing.

HunterNW

Expert Member
I work with an old Eskom employee. He's got a friend working in the operating room. Turbines that used to be their back up for when there is a real crisis is and have been running non-stop for years now...

R13...

Honorary Master
I think they should try to fill the generation shortfall with IPPs rather than letting Eskom waste more money. It'll probably take as long as building new plant to fix Eskom anyway. This is probably what our union and communist komrades fear with the break up of Eskom

eg2505

Honorary Master
so let me ask this,
if something breaks now, that was supposed to be only for use in crisis? like that turbine @HunterNW mentioned.

what would happen? realistically?
do you believe the system will be strong enough to withstand such a failure with already so much also broken?

I mean yes, im sure it was strong and capable once upon a time, but now, with years of maintenance not being done correctly?
you still think it will survive? and even with a total shutdown/blackout, will it come back online?

serious question, maybe the ex eskom engineers posting from australia and europe can answer me?

ambroseg1

Executive Member

Debt is at R480 billion from the last report I read. And I also read on here this morning that Stage 4 load shedding costs them R5 billion per day. So just yesterday's fckup has their debt at least at R485 billion thus far.

daveza

Honorary Master
Debt is at R480 billion from the last report I read. And I also read on here this morning that Stage 4 load shedding costs them R5 billion per day. So just yesterday's fckup has their debt at least at R485 billion thus far.
How much tax does SARS receive monthly ?