The real reasons why Eskom is a total mess

daveza

Honorary Master
I think I'm saying the cost to Eskom of loadshedding on a daily basis is more than what gets added to the fiscus.

Finance is not my strongest suite but R5 billion income lost to Eskom is R5 billion that could have gone towards paying some of their debt ( apart from everything else they need income for ).
It also means the daily SARS revenue is less than what Eskom loses on a daily basis.

( that could probably have been said in one line by someone who has more of a clue ).

beans100

Honorary Master
Not a big fan of CFO's that became CEO's. Those ****ers, usually don't drop big budgets on IT.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
So 3.5 billion a day - and loadshedding costs Eskom R5 billion a day.
I'm not sure of the numbers, but its more likely that loadshedding costs the SA economy as a whole R5bn/day in lost GDP. The cost to Eskom is a tiny fraction of that...

Gnome

Executive Member
Not a big fan of CFO's that became CEO's. Those ****ers, usually don't drop big budgets on IT.
LOL first rule of accounting is to cut cost centers :p

IT is a cost center, advertising a profit center.
Need to align to the way these types think

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
LOL first rule of accounting is to cut cost centers :p

IT is a cost center, advertising a profit center.
Need to align to the way these types think
Correct.

Most CFOs think that IT is a laptop, and you can mos buy one at game so ja, those IT okes are just wasting money....

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
The real reason is.. stupid people, no seriously stupid ****ing morons like Mzwanele Manyi who's now campaigning to bring back Brian Molefe!!

http://www.msn.com/en-za/news/national/bring-back-brian-molefe-load-shedding-woes-spark-debate-on-eskom-leadership/ar-BBTufni?ocid=LENOVODHP15

In the interest of South Africa, ESKOM should bring back * Brian Molefe * Koko Matshela * The recently retrenched engineers. Factional battles should not be at the detriment of the country.
You'd think people desperately want to get out of their hole but hey lets keep digging there's always begging if it doesn't work out.

irBosOtter

Expert Member

f2wohf

Honorary Master
No, Jean-Bernard is not the CFO of EDF in the UK, he is the CFO of EDF in France.... so this is 100% correct as it shows who is the CFO in UK not France....
He is the CEO of EDF Group who is the mother company of EDF Energy (UK) and EDF worldwide and a company far larger than EDF Energy (UK) and therefore the direct boss of Simone Rossi.

The article hinted that Hadebe is not qualified to run Eskom by using a comparison with EDF Energy (UK) when Rossi's boss (Lévy) manages much more than Hadebe without any energy experience.

It makes the comparison non-sensical.

Reactions: 3WA

HowTo

Expert Member
There is no cash injection needed. The problem started 25 years back. Run by the ANC.
Nelson made the biggest mistake.
1) Free electricity
2) Free water
3) Free housing
They did not realize were is the money coming from.
They don't think past there noses.
As long as the ANC is in power we will run from crises to crises.
CR will not steady the boat as long he does not clean the ANC. They will undermine him totally.
He can't do this. The party is to big.

We need a coalition government and run with people that can do the work. This will also not happen.

Look at the structures from top to bottom filled with ANC cadres. Do you think they will render positions to cozy.

My rant for the day.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
so let me ask this,
if something breaks now, that was supposed to be only for use in crisis? like that turbine @HunterNW mentioned.

what would happen? realistically?
do you believe the system will be strong enough to withstand such a failure with already so much also broken?

I mean yes, im sure it was strong and capable once upon a time, but now, with years of maintenance not being done correctly?
you still think it will survive? and even with a total shutdown/blackout, will it come back online?

serious question, maybe the ex eskom engineers posting from australia and europe can answer me?
I don't think they give a shite.
You should ask all the mofos, who arrogantly used to tell South Africans leaving the country, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out"? #AffirmativeAction