The reason Dischem continued to send SMS spam to a user who had replied STOP

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
So they sent the user messages because the opt out was on a campaign basis rather than profile basis or the preset campaigns don't look at the original profile data before sending to the SMS queue. Rookie mistake by the campaign provider.

Lets get real though, R25k fine is not a deterrent. When I worked in a very small company that did SMS campaigns they were dropping about R50k -R100k a day on SMS credits with blue label.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Rookie mistake by the consumer. Everybody knows that its 'stop' the first time and 'stahp!' if that fails.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
What SMS can I send to get these pointless, ridiculous, BS "Articles" by Bullscitfeed, to stop?
Step 1: get banned
Step 2: block the main site
Step 3: Rather read other news sites that actually have some repute

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Consumer was me, and this spanned a period of months... I also never opted in to any marketing from Dischem, who kept promising the "last SMS" was the last, and literally a day or two later I'd get spammed again... some times multiple times a week.

I warned them if it didn't stop I'd lodge a formal complaint - and got the usual, "we apologize, this was the last message"...and it happened again, and again.

If I recall correctly, it started in September, and only stopped in December.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Consumer was me, and this spanned a period of months... I also never opted in to any marketing from Dischem, who kept promising the "last SMS" was the last, and literally a day or two later I'd get spammed again... some times multiple times a week.

I warned them if it didn't stop I'd lodge a formal complaint - and got the usual, "we apologize, this was the last message"...and it happened again, and again.

If I recall correctly, it started in September, and only stopped in December.
Nice one xrapidx! I vote we campaign for 50% of the fine to go to the affected consumer/s. :D
It's the only way to get people off their a$$es instead of moaning.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Nice one xrapidx! I vote we campaign for 50% of the fine to go to the affected consumer/s. :D
It's the only way to get people off their a$$es instead of moaning.
I've been through this process a few times - very annoying - worst is you email a company for a quote or query, and suddenly they think they have the right to spam you.

Busy lodging a complaint against Bidvest McCarthy - their N1 City branch has not stopped spamming me with calls, smses, etc with no permission - and as I learnt, the branch is the reason 2nd hand car dealers get a bad name.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
So who was the beneficiary of the 25K once it was paid? Methinks it wasn't that poor sap who was constantly bothered by the irrelevant ad's. You don't need something like Truecaller wasting space on your device, all built in phone diallers and sms apps can block numbers and spam.