The recent openserve upgrade is actually a downgrade with cool ideas

Kalle

I'm a cool ideas client since 2018 and I was always very happy with the speeds I got.
Actually, I always had the full line speeds until the recent "upgrade" from 50/25 to a 100/50 line,
because ever since I got upgraded I think that my line is now shaped because download speed suck!
The speed diagram looks more zig a zig-zag line now and before it was flat like table mountain.
The 100 Mbit line is less than half the download speed of my old 50 Mbit line.
Of course, all the speed tests work perfectly at 100 Mbit but the real-life looks different now for torrents and newsgroups.
And its private torrents and newsgroup servers that provide the full line speed easily.

So what happened to the unshaped, unthrottled, and uncapped policy that is published so big on the website?

bobcpt

Are you conducting these tests over wifi or a wired connection?

Wifi speeds are inconsistent at best and the higher your connection speed, the more its weaknesses will start to show.

ld13

Honorary Master
Are you conducting these tests over wifi or a wired connection?

Wifi speeds are inconsistent at best and the higher your connection speed, the more its weaknesses will start to show.

The speed test would also have been degraded if this was an issue.

In this case, the speed tests are performing 100%, but real life performance is running at 25%.

Kalle

GBit Ethernet of course. And nothing did change in my setup here; no hardware or software changes at all.
Just the openserve "upgrade"

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
GBit Ethernet of course. And nothing did change in my setup here; no hardware or software changes at all.
Just the openserve "upgrade"
Hi, what result do you get with an international speedtest since the changes? From an ISP perspective we haven't changed anything, it all happens on Openserves side.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Its also perfect 100 / 50. Just real-life speeds suck.
This means you have the capacity to Europe and the rest of the world, can you get me an example of something that gives you poor throughput?

B-1

Expert Member
Its also perfect 100 / 50. Just real-life speeds suck.

There's been a few discussion around the water cooler at work as well and general consensus is that its been worse after the upgrade. Hopefully things will stabilise in a few weeks.

Kalle

This means you have the capacity to Europe and the rest of the world, can you get me an example of something that gives you poor throughput?

yes exactly. for example, downloads from my newsgroup provider are particularly bad. I use

eunews.blocknews.net​

and my throughput was full line speed before the upgrade and now it is around 2MB instead of 12 or so.

ChuckNorris

yes exactly. for example, downloads from my newsgroup provider are particularly bad. I use

eunews.blocknews.net​

and my throughput was full line speed before the upgrade and now it is around 2MB instead of 12 or so.

Strange, I am with @RocketNet-Rep and getting exactly the same problem as you. 2mb download(newsgroups and torrents) on a 100/50 line that is on opensesrve. Logged it multiple times and each time I get a message saying they can't guarantee international speeds. But same setup before I was on vuma and the speed was also easily 12. What I have also seen same as your is the zig-zag pattern. Where it sometimes goes up to 10 for a few seconds and then drops again

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
gents that use news servers need to upgrade their ADSL 2750u routers ASAP! can't be stuck in 2002 anymore...

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

eunews.blocknews.net​

Is it only the newsgroup service or are there more examples? Typically if it's just the one service it's probably just coincidence of timing re the upgrade.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
It took me about 4 hours of my actual time to get openserve to fix a congestion issue on their end this last week.

Can highly recommend not bothering with.

If you have vumatel trenched in your area., place your order, and get on with your life.