The religion of Satanism

zippy

Executive Member
He said it here:

I think it means they regard themselves as masters of their own destiny. and worship themselves as a result. Revel in the power of Man so to speak.
They why do they worship satan and not themselves ?

How come athiests are trying explain satanism in this thread?? Be honest, you have to believe in something, and it cant be God, so......

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler

How come athiests are trying explain satanism in this thread?? Be honest, you have to believe in something, and it cant be God, so......
no god, no satan, none of those,

but it is still interesting to try understand why others believe.

porchrat

Honorary Master

Written by Peter H. Gilmore the current leader of the Church of Satan:

Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshipped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration—in Satanism there’s no deity to which one can sacrifice.
Notice those bold parts?

Care to shove another foot in your mouth?

When you haven't actually researched something try not to make assumptions about it.

7star

Satanism seems to me like a rebellious teenager's religion what better way to rebel against your devout christian parents.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Satanism seems to me like a rebellious teenager's religion what better way to rebel against your devout christian parents.
Who knows. I think people just think of Satanism as the stuff we see in Hollywood movies and it looks like it actually isn't like that at all in reality.

STS

Mafia Detective
that is like saying homosexuality is a rebellious sexual orientation to rebel against your straight parents. if you believe in christianity you believe in christianity, that's it

zippy

Executive Member
Written by Peter H. Gilmore the current leader of the Church of Satan:

Notice those bold parts?

Care to shove another foot in your mouth?

When you haven't actually researched something try not to make assumptions about it.
For something/something that is not a concious entity, he/she/it seems to be regarded by many as being exactly that. Satan is often depicted as some fallen angel who has made his mission to piss on God' parade. "Your research" has clearly missed this, or do you cherry pick your research to suit your desired results and ignore any that might contradict it?

KSINGH

Executive Member
whats wrong with rebelling? if one believes something is not right why shouldn't one rebel?

zippy

Executive Member
Satan is nothing more than invention by humans to explain why s**t happens. After all it can't be God's fault can it? They hippocracy of some atheists is astounding. It's admirable that they attempting to discuss Satanism in an objective manner, but they lose all creditability when they are unable to debate Christianity, Islam etc., without insult their followers. I am not a follower of either of these religions, as I don't believe in the "interventionist" God they do. I respect much of the teachings of these religions, while also being disgusted by the behaviour of those who committed atrocities in their name. I am also not an atheist because I am also not convinced that there is no God. Mainly though, because most of them are idiots who only get off on trying to be "superior" to others. :)

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
it seems to me that the only thing that satanism can agree on is that it doesn't worship the christian deity :) /ducks hellfire
surely there's pre-existing terms which better describe the varying aspects of the term?

humanism
anarchism
animism / paganism / gnosticism / hermeticism
atheism
luciferism
devil worship

while i understand the reason behind levay's thinking, i fail to see how he did anything but obfuscate the definition.
associating the anti-christian deity with an anarcho-humanist philosophy wasn't particularly helpful imo.

Last edited:

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Do I really have to read through all this claptrap? I believe in the BIG WHITE DUCK in the sky. :p

porchrat

Honorary Master
For something/something that is not a concious entity, he/she/it seems to be regarded by many as being exactly that. Satan is often depicted as some fallen angel who has made his mission to piss on God' parade. "Your research" has clearly missed this, or do you cherry pick your research to suit your desired results and ignore any that might contradict it?
Neither. I know how Christianity views Satan however you are letting that flood over into your concept of Satanism and are applying it to all of Satanism as if there are no divides within it. Which is the context of this discussion.

There is more than one kind of Satanism. Theistic Satanism is the one you're thinking of and yes you are right there they do think of Satan as an actual entity to be worshiped. However this isn't the ONLY form of Satanism. There are forms of Satanism (as I mentioned) that don't regard Satan as an actual entity to be worshiped. So clearly my "research" has not missed this it just wasn't pertinent to your rather confrontational question.

This is what you asked:
"They why do they worship satan and not themselves ?"

Then you made some stupid comment about atheists and how they can't explain Satanism because clearly if you aren't a believer you cannot understand the concept of religious beliefs :rolleyes: (that statement of yours by the way was close-minded. Just because you perhaps lack the ability to empathise doesn't mean everyone does).

So once again to answer your question not every Satanist worships Satan and not themselves. They perceive Satan as a power within themselves and thus worship themselves. I hope this helps to clear things up for you.

You need to stop taking your concept of what Satan is in your mind that I presume you take from Christianity and projecting that onto all Satanism in general just because it has the word "Satan" in it. Learn to be a little more open-minded and approach your research into a subject with an open mind before you comment.

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
Neither. I know how Christianity views Satan however you are letting that flood over into your concept of Satanism and are applying it to all of Satanism as if there are no divides within it. Which is the context of this discussion.

There is more than one kind of Satanism. Theistic Satanism is the one you're thinking of and yes you are right there they do think of Satan as an actual entity to be worshiped. However this isn't the ONLY form of Satanism. There are forms of Satanism (as I mentioned) that don't regard Satan as an actual entity to be worshiped. So clearly my "research" has not missed this it just wasn't pertinent to your rather confrontational question.

This is what you asked:

Then you made some stupid comment about atheists and how they can't explain Satanism because clearly if you aren't a believer you cannot understand the concept of religious beliefs :rolleyes: (that statement of yours by the way was close-minded. Just because you perhaps lack the ability to empathise doesn't mean everyone does).

So once again to answer your question not every Satanist worships Satan and not themselves. They perceive Satan as a power within themselves and thus worship themselves. I hope this helps to clear things up for you.

You need to stop taking your concept of what Satan is in your mind that I presume you take from Christianity and projecting that onto all Satanism in general just because it has the word "Satan" in it. Learn to be a little more open-minded and approach your research into a subject with an open mind before you comment.
agrees.

the bolded bit : I think people do not want to open their minds & learn coz thry might discover things that contradict with what they believe.

STS

Mafia Detective
zippy, you've missed an entire thread of this. satanists don't worship satan any more than dentists worship dent. read the satanic bible.

Necuno

Court Jester
agrees.

the bolded bit : I think people do not want to open their minds & learn coz thry might discover things that contradict with what they believe.
ow dear the horror of people thinking and opening minds not just applying what they have heard...

zeridine

I've been thinking about a silly technicality, what do they call themselves when they worship Lucifer (ie believe in god and the devil), since some satanists "worship themselves" and act like a bastardised version of atheism (going all "there is no god, but we love satan" - which is a bit of a contradiction, right?). the term or name Satan comes from Shai'tan which means to oppose God, right? so satanism would do anything to oppose god? is there something like Luciferism? now i've read the bit about laveyan satanists and the other types, as posted earlier, but i dont get whether you would get something like 'luciferism' (for a lack of a better term). maybe i'm just confusing myself with semantics.

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
if i understand correctly then you are refering to theistic satanism which is where people worship satan. So just like the christian religion has sub-division so to does satanism. That is part of what we've been looking at here.

zippy

Executive Member

This is what you asked:

The same can be said for most religions, especially Christianity. There are many "flavors", yet atheists here ridicule Christianity for this, but are able debate satanism without their argument descending to the same depths as when they include Christianity in their discussion. This leads me to believe they are more anti-Christian than anything else. Publically, they feel safer with the atheist tag.

Your point that you can be a satanist without believing in satan is hilarious, though. I guess you can be a Christian without believing in Christ??