The religion of Satanism

Polymathic

Honorary Master
that is like saying homosexuality is a rebellious sexual orientation to rebel against your straight parents. if you believe in christianity you believe in christianity, that's it
Now that is just a brain dead response. Consider that most satanists seem to be teenagers or young adults who come from a conservative christian family background.
I agree with 7star. "Satanism seems to me like a rebellious teenager's religion what better way to rebel against your devout christian parents."

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
/punches Tpex in dah face :mad:
/punches Necuno in dah face :D

Now that is just a brain dead response. Consider that most satanists seem to be teenagers or young adults who come from a conservative christian family background.
I agree with 7star. "Satanism seems to me like a rebellious teenager's religion what better way to rebel against your devout christian parents."
How do you figger that out?

STS

Mafia Detective
the head of the church of satan is far from being a teenager or young adult, as are many of it's members. people seeing satanism as a "rebellion" or as a religion of babbling teenagers looking for attention are ignoring the fact that not all people are looking for attention. the point is to be proud of who you are. if you have spent your life being bombarded by religion which has affected your life negatively, and silly beliefs irritate you but you understand the importance of having a magic and mysterious view on life, prefer the "ironic" evil side of this world, then what is more brain dead, telling them "no, sorry, i don't like your beliefs, be my way" or telling them to go for it? is it rebellious devoting your life to fighting corruption or living the lifestyle you want?

what about it bothers people the most? the fact that it's not atheism? i get irritated by the all-dressed-in-black goths who go on about satan constantly too, but from the book's and the organisation's view of everything i have no complaints, in fact that is how most atheists ALREADY act without all the devilish mumbo jumbo. secondly, are you SO insecure that you see the word "religion" and go all ape-**** because it doesn't fit into your utopian view of atheists hugging and frolicking in the fields?

zippy

Executive Member
Porchrat, the fact that it had it's roots in Hewbrew and means to "to oppose" is precisely what proves my point that satanism and Satan are an "invention" to explain the "bad" things that happen.

Satanism cannot be older than the Hebrew God, because it is meant to oppose the Hebrew God and no other, right? The creation of this opposite has to be entity. I would argue that at that time, that satanism without it's entity Satan would not have been fit for purpose. Only an entity could be a realistic opposition to God in those times. Satanism may well have "lost its Satan" later in some sects, just as Christ had also lost his "divine nature" in some sects of Christianity and in Islam. This is a natural progress over time which affects all belief systems.

That doesn't change the fact that Satan and God are essentially 2 sides if the same "coin" in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. If there was no God what is then the purpose of modern satanism, since it will also have been founded on a lie?

The satanic bible that people refer to has even less credibility than the bible. It has probably been edited as much, if not more, and you will find more versions referring to the entity Satan, as will find have removed.

Edit: I blame my spelling on my iPhone spellchecker and small screen:)

Last edited:

porchrat

Honorary Master
Satanism cannot be older than the Hebrew God, because it is meant to oppose the Hebrew God and no other, right? The creation of this opposite has to be entity.
Wrong. The true opposite of an entity would be something that isn't an entity. That and it doesn't necessarily mean opposing the Hebrew god, which is what you seem to think because you can't separate the word "satan" from the dude with the horns in your mind. Which is again why I keep calling you infallible because you seem to think this is how everyone must see the concept of satan. From the Judeo-Christian perspective. It can refer merely to opposing Christianity or just to opposition in general. Which is not the same thing.

Also why can't Satanism be older than the Hebrew god? Give me a logical reason. The word "satan" was around long before the Hebrew god so I don't see why you would think Satanism would need to only exist once the Hebrew god existed. Again you are attaching the concept of Satan as an entity to it because you find it difficult for some reason to separate the word from the dude with the horns living in the pit of fire.

That doesn't change the fact that Satan and God are essentially 2 sides if the same "coin" in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. If there was no God what is then the purpose of modern satanism, since it will also have been founded on a lie?
I don't know why you think those Satanist sects or whatever you want to call them that don't regard their "Satan" as a physical entity would somehow be linked into the whole Judeo-Christian religion because they aren't. They are atheistic. The origin of their concept of "Satan" is clear. I may not believe it but they say what they mean and they mean what they say. They have valid reasons for what they believe in and that means they aren't hypocrites.

I suggest that perhaps you should look up the term hypocrisy to get a feel for what it means. The grand repository of all human knowledge Wikipedia says: "Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie."

They aren't lying. This is what they believe. They don't tell you that they believe in something that isn't an entity and then secretly believe in an actual Satan with horns etc..

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Wrong. The true opposite of an entity would be something that isn't an entity. That and it doesn't necessarily mean opposing the Hebrew god, which is what you seem to think because you can't separate the word "satan" from the dude with the horns in your mind. Which is again why I keep calling you infallible because you seem to think this is how everyone must see the concept of satan. From the Judeo-Christian perspective. It can refer merely to opposing Christianity or just to opposition in general. Which is not the same thing.

Also why can't Satanism be older than the Hebrew god? Give me a logical reason. The word "satan" was around long before the Hebrew god so I don't see why you would think Satanism would need to only exist once the Hebrew god existed. Again you are attaching the concept of Satan as an entity to it because you find it difficult for some reason to separate the word from the dude with the horns living in the pit of fire.

I don't know why you think those Satanist sects or whatever you want to call them that don't regard their "Satan" as a physical entity would somehow be linked into the whole Judeo-Christian religion because they aren't. They are atheistic. The origin of their concept of "Satan" is clear. I may not believe it but they say what they mean and they mean what they say. They have valid reasons for what they believe in and that means they aren't hypocrites.

I suggest that perhaps you should look up the term hypocrisy to get a feel for what it means. The grand repository of all human knowledge Wikipedia says: "Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie."

They aren't lying. This is what they believe. They don't tell you that they believe in something that isn't an entity and then secretly believe in an actual Satan with horns etc..
Modern Satanisms roots are in the christian bible.
Just because the word satan was used before Judaism doesn't mean satanism was practiced. I seem to remember a thread about how the name Allah used to be aname for a pagan moon god before Islam took the name has the name for it's own god.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Modern Satanisms roots are in the christian bible.
Just because the word satan was used before Judaism doesn't mean satanism was practiced.
Of course it doesn't mean it was practiced. However I can't prove that there were no satanists utilising the definition of the word satan beforehand. Can you?

I also agree that modern Satanism has it's roots in the bible but that doesn't mean that all of satanism accepts the christian bible or that they have to and not accepting it suddenly makes them hypocrites. If they chose the term Satanist not as a reference to the bible but as a reference to the Hebrew verb then who are we to call them hypocrites. It is after all the original meaning of "satan".

Clearly the Hebrew verb existed before the concept of Satan as a physical entity. To say that the only valid interpretation of the concept of satan is of a dude with horns living in a fiery pit is to approach things with a closed mind.

Last edited:

zippy

Executive Member
.. Which is again why I keep calling you infallible because you seem to think this is how everyone must see the concept of satan....
Please point out to me where I have said this. I have made it clear, that it is MY opinion. It may be the opinion of others. I am sure it is. I am also sure loads disagree.

Sorry, I'm not convinced. Satanists cant be athiests. Why do you get so pissed when someone disagrees with you?

PS does he have to horns? Thats the biblical version. He wears a suit now. Used to be a lawyer, now he is banker :D (kidding ofc)

porchrat

Honorary Master
Please point out to me where I have said this. I have made it clear, that it is MY opinion. It may be the opinion of others. I am sure it is. I am also sure loads disagree.
OK so here you're saying it is just your opinion and that doesn't mean there aren't other ways of looking at it and other ways of justifying it.

Sorry, I'm not convinced. Satanists cant be athiests.
Now here you speak in absolutes. Satanists can't be atheistic (I assume because Satan is a physical entity and that is the way it is because you say so). :confused:

Please pick one. You can't have both. Either you acknowledge that there is more than one way to view the word (and hence the concept) "satan", or you don't. Either you acknowledge the different viewpoints of others, or you don't. Either you acknowledge the origins of the word "satan" or you don't.

Why do you get so pissed when someone disagrees with you?
I don't. I get annoyed when people misrepresent the position of others. You call them hypocrites while in the same breath admitting that there are other ways to view the concept of "satan" and claiming to understand the context within which they use the word "satan". There is a logic fail going on somewhere there. Either your understanding of the concept of hypocrisy is flawed or your understanding of the context within which they use the word "satan" is flawed.

Last edited:

zippy

Executive Member
OK so here you're saying it is just your opinion and that doesn't mean there aren't other ways of looking at it and other ways of justifying it.

Now here you speak in absolutes. Satanists can't be atheistic (I assume because Satan is a physical entity and that is the way it is because you say so). :confused:

Please pick one. You can't have both. Either you acknowledge that there is more than one way to view the word (and hence the concept) "satan", or you don't. Either you acknowledge the different viewpoints of others, or you don't. Either you acknowledge the origins of the word "satan" or you don't.

Lol. Of course I acknowledge their viewpoint. I just dont agree with it. :D

porchrat

Honorary Master
Lol. Of course I acknowledge their viewpoint. I just dont agree with it. :D
Now we are getting somewhere. If you acknowledge their viewpoint then you also acknowledge that there are other contexts in which the concept of "satan" can exist. So they just use the word "satan" in a different context to the one you use it in.

That doesn't make them hypocrites. Within the context of their use of "satan" they are entirely justified. Are you now going to tell me that their usage is incorrect? That is the only way I could possibly see them now being hypocrites. At that point you're going to have to prove to me that there is no other way to interpret satan other than to see it as a physical entity. Which means you need to prove that the verb "satan" never existed in Hebrew. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

boramk

Bammed
Funniest video I have seen about Satanist's take on Christians!! :D

[video=youtube;sZsYEGmhEbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsYEGmhEbc&feature=sub[/video]

STS

Mafia Detective
Funniest video I have seen about Satanist's take on Christians!! :D

[video=youtube;sZsYEGmhEbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsYEGmhEbc&feature=sub[/video]
i was half expecting it to be this video as this guy is part of the church of satan :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YrB7TpT1Y

WARNING: SLIGHTLY BLASPHEMOUS, NOT FOR SENSITIVE VIEWERS
I don't like offending people but i can appreciate the song :)

zippy

Executive Member
Now we are getting somewhere. If you acknowledge their viewpoint then you also acknowledge that there are other contexts in which the concept of "satan" can exist. So they just use the word "satan" in a different context to the one you use it in.

That doesn't make them hypocrites. Within the context of their use of "satan" they are entirely justified. Are you now going to tell me that their usage is incorrect? That is the only way I could possibly see them now being hypocrites. At that point you're going to have to prove to me that there is no other way to interpret satan other than to see it as a physical entity. Which means you need to prove that the verb "satan" never existed in Hebrew. Good luck with that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

zippy

Executive Member
Well geez that proves it doesn't it. Clearly Wikipedia is also a dictionary that tells us the history of words and also contains all knowledge ever. Therefore it can demonstrate your point with 100% accuracy... uh... ja.
Did I say that it demonstrates my point with 100% certainty?

What makes it less credible than your sources? Do your sources prove anything with 100% certainty?