• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

The rise and fall of Nokia

Tander

Expert Member
I remember their glory days. Man, I loved all my old Nokia phones - 3210, 3310, 3330i, 7210, 6210, etc.

They should have dropped their Symbian OS sooner for Android.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Symbian was going to be the multitasking OS of choice,but a crapload of red tape and internal politics,competing departments and a too wide list of devices killed it before it could grow up

Tux

Software Communist
I miss my old Nokia 1200. You could beat somebody to death with it. Instead of half a brick behind your wheel when changing a flat, use the Nokia. Need to anchor a boat? Put the Nokia in a plastic bag, tie it to a rope and chuck it over the side. If the rose's too short you risk sinking the boat.
Now that was a useful phone. These newfangled things couldn't stop a skateboard

ponder

Honorary Master
Scary how a company that was once a leader could fall so hard, same goes for Ericsson.

Do you guys think it's due to a resistance to change and upper management holding a company back due to lack of vision?

K

kingrob

Nokia became a bureaucratic mess.

I have read in one of the published articles about the company that one dev said it took six months to change an icon or its color on Symbian OS. Had to get it signed off from so many different people, that the devs just didn't bother.

Their biggest mistake was their ex-CEO telling the press that using Android on a phone is "like peeing in your pants for warmth".

I think Google was at that stage still contemplating if they wanted to continue with Android, but after the words of the Nokia ex-CEO, they said "Challenge accepted!" and started planning their revenge.

And now Nokia is history. *poof*

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
So Motorola fell from grace in the US market, casualty of the Iphone's success. Bought by Google

Now Nokia, who missed the smartphone boat entirely, partnered with microsoft too late in the game. Bought by Microsoft

World mobile telecommunications now firmly controlled by the 3 IT giants, being Microsoft, Google and Apple.

lesson learnt? He who has the best software, controls the hardware.

Blackberry, Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson. All casualties of that lesson.

mmmig

Executive Member
We'll see Nokia rise again. The question remains what market would they be in. I'm sure in the future people will be shocked to learn once upon a time Nokia made phones

sajunky

Honorary Master
They hold rights to all patents. Unless agreement prohibits it, they can do fresh start in a matter of months.

icyrus

Executive Member
World mobile telecommunications now firmly controlled by the 3 IT giants, being Microsoft, Google and Apple.
Google is irrelevant from a hardware perspective and the real player in the Android space is Samsung. Microsoft is altogether irrelevant, even with the Nokia acquisition.

It just doesn't make any sense, I'm yet to come across one tech site that sees this as a smart move:
Nokia may have been days from bankruptcy. Microsoft had no choice.

They hold rights to all patents. Unless agreement prohibits it,
It does.

they can do fresh start in a matter of months.
Not they couldn't, even without the prohibition.