• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

The rise and fall of the SABC

rpm

Admin
Staff member

Fuma

Expert Member
It must be very difficult to be a journalist coz they don't have that freedom of speak. They can only report what the SABC wants. They can't critisize the ANC, but they can critisize other parties. I wish we had powerful independent broadcating stations for the public.

DWPTA

Expert Member
And history keeps repeating itself, over and over and over and over and over and........................................................................................................................

rwenzori

Honorary Master
In much of post-colonial Africa, points out Cameroonian writer Francis Nyamnjoh, state broadcasters parroted their pre-independence predecessors: “Journalists in the state media were little more than public relations men and women for the government or ruling party ... committed … less to truth and public service than to building a positive image, selling ideas and promoting the interests of the state or ruling elite.”
Now where have I seen that?????

Leitmotif

Expert Member
The fall and further fall.

Gaaah, there's a Dell/MS ad in the corner that's driving me nuts... :(

rwenzori

Honorary Master
This is just anther part of the process of South Africa becoming a "normal" African country.
The SABC now behaves towards the ANC in a manner indistinguishable from how they behaved to the Nats way back when. It is nothing new. That Nat arsecreeper Cliff Saunders was even admitting to some of his sins in this regard in the Sunday Times.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Thanks for the link Chiskop - I admit to being too lazy to look, eating a curry and all.
:)

chiskop

Executive Member
Careful, rwenzori. We carry on like this and people* will think I'm you or you're me.

stoke

Honorary Master
I don't get it .. they patted themselves on the back nicely last year with their 13th, 14th and 15th cheques with our "TV licencing" money. Surely the 3000 plus SABC emplyee's are nawt doing anything untoward?

I smell yet another smokescreen. Is sentech up to something?

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Careful, rwenzori. We carry on like this and people* will think I'm you or you're me.

Thinking of Cliff Saunders, is Charl Pauw still reporting on perlemoen poachers from Cape Town? And what happened to Christopher Dingle - the one who shouted "FAAAAAAAAAACK!" on live TV LOL? :D