The risk of still running Windows XP

isie

Honorary Master
Dont a lot of Atm's still use XP.
Sure i saw one rebooting with the XP logo

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Hack attack? Really? I very much doubt the hospital had Windows XP machines that were exposed to the internet, or even internet-facing, and not hardened for security. It's always going to be possible for viruses to infect machines running Windows XP even on a protected network, but the attack vectors become much more limited, mainly to e-mail, unsecure web browers, or physical access like a USB flash drive.

Windows XP is still a decent OS, but it has no support from Microsoft. That's it, really. It's much less of a target today because Windows 7 is now the one with the target on its back. I'm even considering setting up XP in a VM one day to be a print server for machines that might not like accessing a printer through a Samba share.

That's Windows XP Embedded, and it still receives security updates from Microsoft on a regular basis.

Venomous

Honorary Master
there are updates for those who pay...

http://www.howtogeek.com/186754/microsoft-is-still-making-security-updates-for-windows-xp-but-you-cant-have-them/

Hemps

Honorary Master
We switching over to Windows 7 at work now , sars eflling and explorer 11 seem to get along better than explorer 8,9

TheGuy

Expert Member
Its a difficult situation we still run XP computers in our base because the custom application doesn't work on any other OS. The developers wants to charge a few bar to make it work on Win 7 but the company doesn't have that kind of money right now.

Thor

Honorary Master
Its a difficult situation we still run XP computers in our base because the custom application doesn't work on any other OS. The developers wants to charge a few bar to make it work on Win 7 but the company doesn't have that kind of money right now.

A few bar?

Please tell me what software costs a few million that only runs on XP?