The risk of still running Windows XP

FlashSA

Executive Member
Still have XP on my office staff pc's. Won't change it. It's light on resources so no need to upgrade pc hardware.

I have taken a diffrent tack and rather gone redundant backups with both cloud and offsite solitions.

Works for us..

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Popular Point of Sale software system GAAP still uses XP as well, system gets so slow sometimes.

Still have XP on my office staff pc's. Won't change it. It's light on resources so no need to upgrade pc hardware.

I have taken a diffrent tack and rather gone redundant backups with both cloud and offsite solitions.

Works for us..
I'm sure Win7 is lighter on resources then XP?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
A few bar?

Please tell me what software costs a few million that only runs on XP?

I used to support laptops that needed XP in a virtual machine for interfacing with some on-board computers for VWAG cars. The software was designed before application manifests were a thing in Windows 8.1, so if it detects that it's not running on Windows XP or older OSes, it errors out and says the software isn't supported on this system. Compatibility mode doesn't work. Most VM software didn't work either because it needed exclusive access to the USB and COM ports.

Windows 8.1 introduced app manifests that allow developers to run older applications in a legacy mode that better mimics Windows 95 than compatibility mode, but you need a 32-bit install for that. Will any developer try to support these old, in-house software installations that have little documentation to speak of, and port them over to newer OSes? Probably not for a pittance, I'll bet. They'd rather just sell you an entirely new package that costs a few bar.

This also reminds me that some applications were designed to be used on a system with a drive formatted as FAT32. It's an insane restriction, but I've run into it before with programs made in the DOS era.

If you're not tied into applications that require Windows, you should really look into running those machines on Linux and putting XP or some other Windows version into a virtual machine for the odd thing that doesn't run on Linux. It's something that I plan on doing in the future.

Last edited:

milomak

Honorary Master
Because privacy / security, less control over certain components, graphics driver issues, etc

can you at least post a link around this?

i use linux mainly and windows i have for a few games when i decide i want to play

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yip, I'm in no rush. It's supported until 2020.

I've been using Microsoft software since the 80's and there is one golden rule. NEVER USE V1.
Except Windows 10 is already on V2 and V3 (redstone) is about to drop sometime in the middle of the year...

biometrics

Honorary Master
Except Windows 10 is already on V2 and V3 (redstone) is about to drop sometime in the middle of the year...

I still see issues being reported. It was released prior it to being a V1 imo. I'll wait until I see no issues being reported.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I still see issues being reported. It was released prior it to being a V1 imo. I'll wait until I see no issues being reported.
Care to link us to the issues?
Windows 10

For all the miscues noted below, Microsoft’s 2015 will always be defined by Windows 10, which is nothing but goodness.*As I noted in my review, Windows 10 is superior to both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, and its user experience works as well or better on the different Windows device types—traditional PC form factors for Windows 7 and “touch-first” devices like tablets and 2-in-1s for Windows 8.1—than do its predecessors. But Windows 10 also exceeds Windows 7 and 8.1 in other ways, with an evolved universal apps platform that all users (and developers) can embrace, cross-platform chops that are unparalleled on other mobile and desktop computing systems, and an adaptable, user-focused user interface that can be customized to your liking at every step of the way. And it respects the way you work, whether that’s keyboard and mouse, touch, pen/stylus, or any combination of those things.

No software is perfect, as the old adage goes. But Windows 10 gets pretty damned close.

https://www.thurrott.com/office/63009/microsoft-in-2015-the-good-the-meh-and-the-wtf

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
When they can COMPLETELY eliminate Cortana and/or the Start Menu from crashing I'll swap. Not a day before that.

elvis_presley

Expert Member

Works for us..

That's fine so long as you know XP's shortcomings - it's VERY insecure by today's OS standards, but that can be worked around by beefing up your perimeter firewall and very careful sysadmins giving users fine-grained priviledges to the users using the network/PCs.

elvis_presley

Expert Member

Every OS ever in the history of mankind will have issues reported until the day it's uninstalled from the last device. I have to use Win7 from time to time and still have the ancient Windows Update, explorer crashing, etc errors that MS never managed to eliminate over the course of its lifetime.