The RTX 2080 will crush the AMD Radeon VII – CEO

Swa

Honorary Master
Performance specs? I wouldn't use terms such as crush, lousy and underwhelming for a 10% lead, especially if it comes at a 50% premium.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The Radeon 7 still seems to be AMD's biggest mistake.

Taking a look at the MSRPs,

R7 @ $699
2080 @ $699

already knowing that the 2080 is priced well above the MSRP I don't believe that AMD will be able to keep to $699 and when they announce Navi the R7 will be obsolete.

stefan9

Executive Member
Price performance is where the majority of gamers live. So yes RTX will "crush" Radeon VII but that is only one metric.
Except that they are priced at exactly the same msrp.

Vega also offers no new tech while the 2080 offers ray tracing and dlss. So when priced at the exact same price point it makes no sense to go for the vega 7.

If amd were smart they would have priced vega 7 $50 cheaper.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member

Vega also offers no new tech while the 2080 offers ray tracing and dlss. So when priced at the exact same price point it makes no sense to go for the vega 7.

If the performance is less/same as the geforce then yes, I will agree. However I will wait for independent benchmarks to confirm that.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Very is there little noise going on surrounding the price that AMD has positioned the Radeon 7 at. Many AMD supporters have only come out once NVidia opened their mouth to engage in this aggressive bantering with AMD. However, some people have dug up an article in regard to AMD’s leadership,

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-mike-rayfield-amd-retires/

EXCLUSIVE: AMD RTG Boss Mike Rayfield Retires Amidst Chatter About ‘Disengaged Behavior’
I was just tipped off about a pretty big shakeup to AMD’s leadership: Michael J. Rayfield has just retired from his position as Senior Vice President and General Manager of Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. This decision happened today and I have heard some pretty interesting chatter about the details surrounding his retirement.

AMD’s SVP and GM RTG, Mike Rayfield leaves the company amidst chatter surrounding ‘disengaged behavior’, David Wang to be interim lead

My source informed me that Mr. Mike Rayfield had been disengaged from his responsibilities and had been demonstrating “abrasive” attitude in his day to day activities. I want to remain neutral on the subject so here’s the crux of my talk with my source:

Rayfield was disengaged and very superficial. He would delete all his emails each week that he could not get around reading and would never work weekends or after 5 PM. He would pontificate in an abrassive manner and couldn’t remember any names [ of his peers].

Rayfield denied to Lisa Su that there was a talent problem and that the talent that had recently exited form AMD wasn’t actually an issue. He diend that there was a talent war going on [Usman: You can read up about the talent war here]

He presented suggestions that werent really feasible such as ‘Radeon VII ‘ which was to be a Vega 20 based consumer facing part that cost $750 to build and would barely tie in with an [NVIDIA] GTX 1080 Ti.
Ignoring the issue in regard to that one person, it seems to be the leadership, in general, to be behaviorally disengaged. It gives me the idea that NVidia's leadership is picking on that.

It may very well be that AMD is taking a knock on selling the Radeon 7, up and until they can commercially launch their Navi architecture.

I mean, even Jim (AdoredTV) is disappointed in this. The Radeon 7 is bloody expensive and I believe that AMD should have placed more emphasis on their CPUs than taking NVidia on at the high-end in the interim. Vega seems to be too expensive on a production level.

Everyone is bitching about the 2060's price, but this announcement by AMD shut that right up. NVidia may have other chess pieces like the 11xx series to move into play.

I hope that AMD can strike back in mid-2019. I know they have the CPUs, but they need Navi to compete against NVidia and we don't even know whether Navi will be competitive until it is sampled or reviewed.

stefan9

Executive Member
We desperately need either amd or intel to offer some competition. The free reign Nvidia has isn't good for pricing.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Intel and AMD be like:

The company’s name “nVidia”, pronounced invidia, was carefully chosen because of its nuanced meanings which are tied to vision and envy.

Swa

Honorary Master
Posting this here as well

Vega 7 and 2080 rtx are priced at the same msrp. What other factors would vega 7 have to make you buy it over the 2080? 2080 has more compelling new tech to sway you then vega 7.
Like? Ray tracing? Nobody seems to be interested in that. I find this interesting "The big news is that this is a high-performance graphics card that is capable of delivering gaming performance on par with, or even slightly ahead of, Nvidia’s RTX 2080 in some of the latest games. AMD had Battlefield V and Far Cry 5 results on stage showing a 1fps lead for the new Vega-based Radeon VII, but with the Vulkan-based Strange Brigade you could see a massive 20% performance lead for the AMD card at 4K Ultra settings."

Nvidia always skimps with the memory. VegaVII has 16GB HBM2 while the 2080 only has 8GB. Even the 2080ti only has 11GB. Jensen Huang is blowing smoke and it is yet to be seen if the 2080 will be better in any games let alone the majority. We all know AMD is more future proof with older cards running better in newer games than olden Nvidia cards. Maybe memory is part of the reason. So yeah Nvidia may win on lower settings but really how important is 100fps over 80fps? It's likely going to choke when it comes to high resolutions.

quovadis

Expert Member
Like? Ray tracing? Nobody seems to be interested in that
At the moment because theres not much support for it. The demos are very interesting - time will tell but it could be a major differentiator especially if the largest titles adopt it.