The SA Politics Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother in the UK registered yesterday. I don't think you need to provide proof of address but even if you do, if you know where you will live in the UK, then you can probably do it.

Cool. I’m going to give it a try on Monday when I get my new SA passport back.
Mill take the trip to the embassy to vote. Make a day of it. Because I believe every vote counts.

Cool. I’m going to give it a try on Monday when I get my new SA passport back.
Mill take the trip to the embassy to vote. Make a day of it. Because I believe every vote counts.
Represent myBB at the UK voting station, honourable member. ;)
:D

Not in the middle of durban in ward 101 (mayville). Haven't heard a peep out of the DA even though they are not fielding a candidate and leaving it to the IFP to do everything (so much for MPC whatever that is),
It's the IFP fielding the candidate so naturally, they're going "to do everything". All DA can do is tell its okes to unite behind the IFP.
I predict the ANC to win even more because of the lack of strategy from DA/IFP.
Doubt it.

It's the IFP fielding the candidate so naturally, they're going "to do everything". All DA can do is tell its okes to unite behind the IFP.

Doubt it.
That's the thing, the DA haven't bothered to do that. Us residents are taking it upon ourselves to spread the word about the IFP.

Do you want to take a bet?

Doubt it.
Wingnut is making the point though that "Get Out the Vote" operation is very poor/non-existent compared to the DA. The DA should have shared its database of its voters in this ward with the IFP so people can be alerted. It looks like ANC will probably increase its vote share due to poor organisation from the IFP rather than the ANC exciting extra voters.

That's the thing, the DA haven't bothered to do that. Us residents are taking it upon ourselves to spread the word about the IFP.

Do you want to take a bet?
I don't think the DA are too keen to explicitly tell their voters that it's okay to vote for the IFP, especially going towards the election, I think the manner in which it has always been done is to step back and those of you who know what's going on will vote for the IFP.

Maybe they are carefully not to give an impression that if you are in KZN voting for the IFP is now a thing. My belief is that they think stepping aside is good enough and campaigning for the IFP is taking it a step too far.

But yes, if they really want to put up a good fight they and the IFP should come up with a good coherent strategy on how their united front works.

I don't think the DA are too keen to explicitly tell their voters that it's okay to vote for the IFP, especially going towards the election, I think the manner in which it has always been done is to step back and those of you who know what's going on will vote for the IFP.

Maybe they are carefully not to give an impression that if you are in KZN voting for the IFP is now a thing. My belief is that they think stepping aside is good enough and campaigning for the IFP is taking it a step too far.
Thats just stupid. If they are in coalition with IFP then they will obviously want IFP to get as many votes as possible in wards where the DA aren't contesting in and visa versa.

Thats just stupid. If they are in coalition with IFP then they will obviously want IFP to get as many votes as possible in wards where the DA aren't contesting in and visa versa.
Firstly let us understand the spirit of this deal, the IFP is supposed to get their votes from the ANC, whatever they get from the DA is a bonus, so if the IFP is not able to push on its own, the DA votes are never going to help. The DA already know this is a lost cause if the IFP does not pull their weight, in short if the IFP is going to win, it will do so with or without the DA

The DA has done its homework before entering into this deal, they want to give the impression, remember impressions are very important in politics, so the impression they want to give to the IFP is that we are fully behind you as you reduce the ANC's majority, but when all this is said and done, the DA still wants it's share of the KZN vote intact, they don't want to create a situation where the momentum of the IFP goes past the ANC and starts eating into their voter share.

It is totally not in the DA's interest to elevate and market the IFP as an alternative to the ANC, so if the IFP wins, fine, but that won't come from the DA's campaigning on their behalf.

Even in those DA/ Freedom Front wards I have never seen either party actively campaigning on the other's behalf, the voters are left to their own devices and those who know what is happening will do what's expected, the most important thing is to step aside, I am sure if the other party knows their job they will know where the other party's voters are and go campaign there.

Last edited:

Doubt it.
What's even the point then? Why bother having party members in that ward if they're not going to contest. Why can't they just do a coalition afterwards? What happens if the IFP loses anyway, and a coalition could have won?

Just because they have an agreement, now people who want to vote for the DA must instead vote for Zulu nationalists because it's the least schit option.

See @wingnut771 this is why a two party state is bad. Imagine if one day your choice is between the EFF and IFP. /inb4 I'll be gone by then...

What's even the point then? Why bother having party members in that ward if they're not going to contest. Why can't they just do a coalition afterwards? What happens if the IFP loses anyway, and a coalition could have won?

Just because they have an agreement, now people who want to vote for the DA must instead vote for Zulu nationalists because it's the least schit option.

See @wingnut771 this is why a two party state is bad. Imagine if one day your choice is between the EFF and IFP. /inb4 I'll be gone by then...
I think coalitions in wards are not allowed, that's why parties can win with any majority.

I think the DA's strategy is sound if you look at the bigger picture, all this uniting behind the IFP in KZN is for one purpose, for the IFP to give them their share to govern Gauteng.

They do their homework and the logic is simple, they know what wards they have a chance in, where they think they don't stand a chance, they send the IFP, whether the IFP wins or lose it is of no consequence to them. They are gambling with money they can afford to lose in KZN, but the return can be very good when they ask the IFP to return the favour next year.

But as I have said previously, not having any ambition to grow in the second biggest province in terms of voters is a very bad idea, so this could still backfire spectacularly.

Last edited:
I think coalition in wards are not allowed, that's parties can win with any majority.

I think the DA's strategy is sound if you look at the bigger picture, all this uniting behind the IFP in KZN is for one purpose, for the IFP to give them their share to govern Gauteng.

They do their homework and the logic is simple, they know what wards they have a chance in, where they think they don't stand a chance, they send the IFP, whether the IFP wins or lose it is of no consequence to them. They are gambling with money they can afford to lose in KZN, but the return can be very good when they ask the IFP to return the favour next year.

But as I have said previously, not having any ambition to grow in the second biggest province in terms of voters is a very bad idea, so this still backfire spectacularly.
Fair enough, it still highlights the issue where people say you must vote for the least schit option.

Imagine white people forced to vote for Zulu nationalists, and they don't see an issue with that. Only because it's backed by an agreement that hasn't yet come to pass...

In a ward? You realise wards are FPTP right? You can't make coalitions in wards.

That's why you see parties stepping aside for one another in wards. Like DA/IFP.
It's called strategic voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back