mojoman

Expert Member
Cause I want to see it. What's so hard to understand? Also, the moment the handover is done, the report will be released online.

The funny thing is Zondo was there on time, but Ramadollar is nowhere to be found.

Too busy checking his lounge suites...

mojoman

Expert Member
Man, I am slightly more grown up to be engaging in that manner with you, I have given you my opinion multiple times on the DA and their political stunt on cadre deployment, you tagging me every time something excites you is just too childish for me.
Lol....

PrimeSteak

Executive Member

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
More Squirrel lies I am completely not shocked, only dumbass new donners thechomp will be be crying...oh no, he will soon be here for some mad whatabouts and smoke n mirrors and bs.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Being able to directly elect the President would be a massive step in the right direction but even then there would still be plenty of work to be done in reforming the whole system, like what happens to the powers of Parliament to remove him and what would be the role of the voters in that.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Being able to directly elect the President would bea massive step in the right direction but even then there would still be plenty of work to be done in reforming the whole system, like what happens to the powers of Parliament to remove him and what would bete role of the voters in that.
Really? I did not know. You should lead the new dawn 2.0 then you can show us the way.

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
Being able to directly elect the President would bea massive step in the right direction but even then there would still be plenty of work to be done in reforming the whole system, like what happens to the powers of Parliament to remove him and what would bete role of the voters in that.
Would be better still. Cause then the people can decide who leads them instead of voting for a party and not getting the candidate they wanted. And if they did vote for a ****-up, then at least next election they can simply vote him out instead of having to rely on the candidate's said party to do something about him (aka the past 15 years).

After reading De Vos' article yesterday, it seems motion of no confidence might be a problem. But why not just adjust it so both houses have to pass the motion in order for the motion to succeed?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Being able to directly elect the President would be a massive step in the right direction but even then there would still be plenty of work to be done in reforming the whole system, like what happens to the powers of Parliament to remove him and what would be the role of the voters in that.
Do it like Switzerland.

Priapus

Executive Member

Things would need to change. Like, if say a president is elected from a party that doesn't have majority. It would be too easy for parliament to just remove him with a motion of no confidence.

Priapus

Executive Member
Would be better still. Cause then the people can decide who leads them instead of voting for a party and not getting the candidate they wanted. And if they did vote for a ****-up, then at least next election they can simply vote him out instead of having to rely on the candidate's said party to do something about him (aka the past 15 years).

After reading De Vos' article yesterday, it seems motion of no confidence might be a problem. But why not just adjust it so both houses have to pass the motion in order for the motion to succeed?

The other issue; is how much power does the president have; if his party is not majority? How does anything get done?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Things would need to change. Like, if say a president is elected from a party that doesn't have majority. It would be too easy for parliament to just remove him with a motion of no confidence.
Exactly, that is one of the challenges that would need to be ironed out. At the pase we generally do things it doesn't look like something that will be done in the near future, because I think some parties will be very opposed to it.

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
The other issue; is how much power does the president have; if his party is not majority? How does anything get done?
Well, it would most likely be like Macron's situation now. He's Pres, but his party/coalition bloc needs to form a coalition to govern. Or it could become like Ekhuruleni, a minority coalition can be formed and negotiations would be done bill by bill by relying on external support.

I think it would foster cooperation between parties in Parliament for once, since they'd actually have to work together to do something, instead of the dominant party and its leader just running amok.

But still, direct presidential elections would be a better fit for SA, than what we have now.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I think the most likely thing is that the President will always come from the majority party, but instead of having a Zuma we could have had some other person because parties will not risk fielding an unpopular candidate.

But it is possible that it could go either way.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Exactly, that is one of the challenges that would need to be ironed out. At the pase we generally do things it doesn't look like something that will be done in the near future, because I think some parties will be very opposed to it.
But you promised that new don 1.0 is working, now you are planning new don 2.0?

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
I think the most likely thing is that the President will always come from the majority party, but instead of having a Zuma we could have had some other person because parties will not risk fielding an unpopular candidate.
Not necessarily, look at Macron. He got elected as president, yet he doesn't have a majority in French Parliament.

It could go anyway sure, but at least the voters could have a direct decision of who they want as Pres, instead of waiting with bated breath for an elective conference of a majority party/coalition.

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
The electoral system was raised as a factor during the public hearings — now the State Capture commission report proposes Parliament consider introducing a constituency-based system that maintains proportional representation.

It’s a suggestion that comes as the National Assembly is processing a ministerial draft law that makes minimal technical changes to the electoral law to allow independents to contest national and provincial elections in line with the June 2022 Constitutional Court ruling. Parliament has had to ask the court for six more months to do the job.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
“You are on the ANC list, you have the duty to strengthen the ANC. You are not a free rider because you are in Parliament,” was how ANC National Chairperson Gwede Mantashe, also mineral resources and energy minister, put it.
It might sound ridiculous the way Gwede says it but that's exactly how it is with our current system, the simple fact is that the MPs are conflicted, remove the conflict and things should be better. As long as MPs jobs are at risk if they annoy their parties things will remain exactly as they are.

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
It might sound ridiculous the way Gwede says it but that's exactly how it is with our current system, the simple fact is that the MPs are conflicted, remove the conflict and things should be better. As long as MPs jobs are at risk if they annoy their parties things will remain exactly as they are.
Can agree.

I like the proposal Zondo made to establish a permanent parliamentary oversight committee and the one where he suggests legislation should be put in place so MPs can't lose party membership if they oppose their parties in Parliament.

And look, the Zuma era was a horrible time for SA and brought our country to the brink... But I think that if we implement all of the recommendations Zondo has made, then we would have truly learnt from our mistakes from that dark time.