The SA Post Office is truly delusional

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Its the same story as everything else in SA. The government owned entities are a joke so private industry takes over and does the job well.
Next thing government is crying because they are losing money all over the place.

Kelerei

But in my opinion, the best saving would be to close the parcel and letter distribution system. Lock, stock and smoking barrel. Rather the system should be turned into a vendor neutral logistics system. The existing real estate and boxes can all be converted to electronic locks. However, any other alternative similar solution would be viable! The current post boxes only work for small parcels so some extra larger ones need to be build for larger ones.

The idea would be that a client registers for an electronic key via a on boarding process that would include verification of identity similar to that of RICA or FICA. They pay a key deposit of in the region of a Mandela or two. They key is associated with a specific mobile number for SMS text messages.

If a delivery is required a logistics partner, e.g. Makro, the Courier Guy or whoever, pays a Rhino to the Post Office and is provided with a post box (small or large) and the client’s key is programmed to gain access. Obviously, the larger box would cost an Elephant or Lion! The client is notified via SMS/whatsapp of the post box assigned. The distribution partner then delivers to the appropriate post box. Once the box is opened and accessed by the client it becomes available for reuse.
I have written a more detailed article on medium about the concept
The Kiwis have beaten you to it.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Delusional might be giving SAPO too much credit: if SAPO wasn't as bad as it is, there would not have been a gap in the market for many of the competing delivery companies, clearly SAPO is incapable of comprehending this simple fact.

SAPO's CEO must be insane if he really believes that SAPO can compete against eCommerce delivery companies when SAPO is incapable of reliably fulfilling its primary mandate which is to deliver simple letters.

The only reason that SAPO still exists is because government keeps on bailing out the incompetent disorganisation that is SAPO.

Swa

Honorary Master
They should take a look at their procedures first. Got a parcel delivered to the wrong PO. They sent it all the way back to JIMC despite the distribution centre it just came from servicing both POs next to each other. JIMC simply sent it back to the centre again. It's a wonder they didn't send it back to China.

Luckily I didn't need it. Would have been pissed if I went on vacation without my tripod.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
They should take a look at their procedures first. Got a parcel delivered to the wrong PO. They sent it all the way back to JIMC despite the distribution centre it just came from servicing both POs next to each other. JIMC simply sent it back to the centre again. It's a wonder they didn't send it back to China.

Luckily I didn't need it. Would have been pissed if I went on vacation without my tripod.
Procedures help you fsck all when you staff are lazy and incompetent by and large...

Mark Barnes has failed to turn sapo around, because he is useless. Trying to use technology is a dream that will never happen under his leadership. Get sapo up to standard and then try something new, Mr Barnes!

j4ck455

Executive Member
Trying to use technology is a dream that will never happen under his leadership.
Barnes' pipe-dream of getting drones to deliver things suggests that he has realised that SAPO employees are hopelessly lazy, incompetent and generally thieving morons.

If SAPO ever gets close to using drones, SAPO employees will view drones as a threat to their jobs and will sabotage/steal the drones.

pmarais3

My package arrived in JIMC from London on 7 Feb 2019. Scanned for Cape Town on 10 Feb 2019 and still not in CPT.
Package and container missing. Told me to claim as they dont know whats going on or where it is.
Spoke to Cape Mail Operations Manager....he was more worried about how I got to him than helping me.
Why do we even have a Post Office.
btw.....took 6 days from London to JHB, but trust our government to &$%& it up and 11 weeks later have no answer

RedViking

Nord of the South
Package "transit" from JHB since 04 April. Yesterday it showed as SORTING MAIL at DURBAN. Today it is showing JHB again! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

SA Post Office you useless company!

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Maybe the drones are the ones working behind the counter?

Beep - Your parcel needs to be wrapped in brown paper before we can send it - Beep.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Beep - Your parcel needs to be wrapped in brown paper before we can send it - Beep.
Why, have they been drinking from a bottle parcel wrapped in brown paper?

"Working" at SAPO must be the guaranteed government job someone gets after being rejected for all other government jobs.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Couldn't find the right thread - this one will do, the delusional post office has now upped the charge for incoming parcels to R28, think that's the 3rd escalation in a year

(if that's not enough, the parcel was sent in November last year)