The Silverton Dros Rape Case and Trial

smkungfu

Yes, I'm well aware. Do emergency doors open from outside? The next logical step to take when a door doesn't open and someone behind the door is in danger is to break it down.

The manager did nothing wrong in this instance (my opinion).
IIRC the mother wasn't trying to enter through the back door of the toilets. The main door to the mens toilets was blocked off. I assume an emergency door would view to the outside. What makes you think the mother was trying to enter through an emergency door?

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
Yo the comments on a Facebook entry made by the person whose name was mentioned in a comment on an EWN article.

rietrot

Honorary Master
IIRC the mother wasn't trying to enter through the back door of the toilets. The main door to the mens toilets was blocked off. I assume an emergency door would view to the outside. What makes you think the mother was trying to enter through an emergency door?
I have never seen an emergency door inside a toilet. There's always just one.

stefan9

Executive Member
Dros should have done a lot better. Their safety measures weren't up to standards.
Yes the parents should have been more careful but you expect your child to be safe in the official children play area.

Their response has also been dreadfull...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Dros should have done a lot better. Their safety measures weren't up to standards.
Yes the parents should have been more careful but you expect your child to be safe in the official children play area.

Their response has also been dreadfull...
But the child was safe in the official children play area.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
No perp picked her out there. Minder should have gone with her to the toilet or alerted the parent that her child wants to go to the toilet.
And then the perp would have grabbed one of the other children left alone outside while the minder was gone...
See the above graph... the blame for this act lies with the perpetrator.

stefan9

Executive Member
And then the perp would have grabbed one of the other children left alone outside while the minder was gone...
If there is only one minder that allready shows lack of care...

Sure the rapist is ultimately responsible.
But if you claim your environment is safe or child friendly you need to do more then was done here.. .

OCP

Expert Member
I have seen this guy in the restaurant before, even the waitresses know this guy. When he got there, he was sitting near the kids play area, while he was having a glass of water, he had his eye on the area, looking at her and waited for her to go to the toilet and followed her.
— Richard, eyewitness
Why did Mr Richard the eyewitness not do anything about it (alert management/warn parents) if he was so suspicious?

rietrot

Honorary Master
I have seen this guy in the restaurant before, even the waitresses know this guy. When he got there, he was sitting near the kids play area, while he was having a glass of water, he had his eye on the area, looking at her and waited for her to go to the toilet and followed her.
— Richard, eyewitness
What did he do on previous times that's considered a crime? Restaurants don't just ban everyone that might be a weirdo.

The_MAC

Executive Member
— Richard, eyewitness
Why did Richard not do anything?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Why did Mr Richard the eyewitness not do anything about it (alert management/warn parents) if he was so suspicious?
Where does he say he was suspicious. Sounds to me like they WERE NOT suspicious. He says everybody knew the guy. The suspicion only came AFTER he had already perpetrated a crime.

Reactions: OCP

OCP

Expert Member
No perp picked her out there. Minder should have gone with her to the toilet or alerted the parent that her child wants to go to the toilet.
That's a stretch.

At the Spur for example there are usually numerous kids playing - the child minders are there to make sure they dont hurt themselves (or others) but leaving the area to take kids to toilet is the parents responsibility.

Had eyewitnesses climbing out the woodwork now gone to the childminder and warned about the creepy guy staring at the kids and had she not acted that would have been a different story....

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
If there is only one minder that allready shows lack of care...

Sure the rapist is ultimately responsible.
But if you claim your environment is safe or child friendly you need to do more then was done here.. .
I don't know how many minders there were, but that's irrelevant. The guy obviously came there with one intent, and he would have tried many different routes or avenues to fulfill has bloody desire. Or he would have moved on to the next place where conditions were more conducive, but he was going to rape someone that day no matter what.

R13...

Honorary Master
He would have had to wait for another child to come as the article reads like she was the only child in the play area at the time.

OCP

Expert Member
Where does he say he was suspicious. Sounds to me like they WERE NOT suspicious. He says everybody knew the guy. The suspicion only came AFTER he had already perpetrated a crime.
Fair point - if anything being a regular might have made him less suspicious.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
He would have had to wait for another child to come as the article reads like she was the only child in the play area at the time.
The point is.... the Child Minder did not plan that day on allowing a child to be raped. The restaurant did not plan on allowing a child to be raped. There was only one person that day with the intention to rape, and that was the rapist. Whether he raped there or somewhere else, he was obviously intent on raping. So he must bear 100% of the blame.

Emjay

Executive Member
Why did Richard not do anything?
We are having this VERY debate in the US Politics thread. People don't seem to believe in the duty of care of others and how their own voices can help others.

So here is the thing. It happens and DROS announces it's business as usual at their restaurant, and act like it never happened really. They have not put any safety measures to prevent this since. The local store also isnt interested in dealing with this and refered everything to their head office, which clearly couldnt care less as to the safety of their patrons.

So at least the good people noticed this, and ever since this, Dros is now being boycotted. Which is justifiably so.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/notinmynamesa-to-visit-dros-over-nonchalant-response-to-rape-of-6-year-old-girl-20180926
A bad thing happened in a public place, and therefore it is justifiable that a business is shut down because of it? You enter a public place at your own risk. By your own logic, the mother should be charged with endangerment because she is the guardian of the child and left the child in a stranger's care.

Reactions: OCP