• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

The Silverton Dros Rape Case and Trial

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Oh yea, who was it that was getting snarky with me a few months back because I am apparently overly paranoid with my children?
there is nothing wrong in being paranoid about your kids

if parents wants to go out and have a meal and have the kids play in the play area, one parent needs to watch over them.

If you want to have lone time ..leave the kids by someone rather

these days its so easy for parents to end up with cases like this . Kids also run away much faster than you think even while watching them.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I was met with a pair of evil eyes when I once tried to help a falling child..

Its because of incidents like this that no-one trusts anyone anymore.
I once found a lost boy in a mall.

I sat down right in front of the boy and entertained him. Attracted security and told them then waited right there till the parents came. I never touched him in any way, just, chatted with him, showed him my keys and pocket knife and such till they arrived.

The look/response I got from the parents was first mistrust, then relief, then gratitude.

The_MAC

Expert Member
I once found a lost boy in a mall.

I sat down right in front of the boy and entertained him. Attracted security and told them then waited right there till the parents came. I never touched him in any way, just, chatted with him, showed him my keys and pocket knife and such till they arrived.

The look/response I got from the parents was first mistrust, then relief, then gratitude.
I found similar responses when offering domestic-workers lifts to the shopping-centre/rank around my area - I wouldn't trust me if I was them either.

Unfortunately there are too many incidences..

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
When do kids start going to the bathroom alone?
Not sure, they tend to differ quite a bit in terms of how independent they are but I take my 5 year old girl to the mens room if mom or sis are not around. She goes into the stall and I wait directly outside, she doesn't lock the door.

When she's a bit bigger she can go in to the ladies and I'll wait at the entrance for her, within earshot.

I have a niece, and something like this terrifies me. I almost want to share this with my brother but I'm worried it will just give him a panic attack.
Having stuff like this in the news makes parents irrationally paranoid and is most likely a net negative to kids as result... but personally I'd rather know about it and manage my own anxiety. Ignorance may be bliss, or it may be dangerous to your kids. I've shared this with my wife.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Not sure, they tend to differ quite a bit in terms of how independent they are but I take my 5 year old girl to the mens room if mom or sis are not around. She goes into the stall and I wait directly outside, she doesn't lock the door.

When she's a bit bigger she can go in to the ladies and I'll wait at the entrance for her, within earshot.

Having stuff like this in the news makes parents irrationally paranoid and is most likely a net negative to kids as result... but personally I'd rather know about it and manage my own anxiety. Ignorance may be bliss, or it may be dangerous to your kids. I've shared this with my wife.
My concern with that is if some sicko decided to expose himself doing when doing that. Sure i'm put him down or at least try to, but by then the damage is done and you're in a whole world of kak.... this is why the need family restrooms, that only people with kids are allowed to use, and only the kids are allowed to use them.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Don't even have to do that. Just send him to prison and make sure all the other prisoners know he raped a child. Even murderers don't take likely to child rapists.
Yep, it seems it's acceptable for any kind of violent punishment to be meted out in jail, just not outside.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Just out of curiosity, is there anybody here that agrees with Dros for protected them man from getting severely beaten, maybe even killed?

rietrot

Executive Member
Just out of curiosity, is there anybody here that agrees with Dros for protected them man from getting severely beaten, maybe even killed?
We have due process for a reason. I'm not sure everyone that always supports mob justice will appreciate the chaos that goes with it. Is just a beating enough after what he did? His crime seems big enough to warrant more. A beating is nothing and who even knows if someone in the dross at that time has it in them to kill him.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
We have due process for a reason. I'm not sure everyone that always supports mob justice will appreciate the chaos that goes with it. Is just a beating enough after what he did? His crime seems big enough to warrant more. A beating is nothing and who even knows if someone in the dross at that time has it in them to kill him.
Also (and I'm playing Devils Advocate here) what if this man did nothing wrong, but somehow the situation presented itself in that it looked like he raped the little girl.... you now have mob justice where you beat and potentially kill an innocent person.

For clarity, I don't believe the situation above, I think its pretty clear he raped the girl or was about to do so, and that no level of punishment this country has on its statutes is sufficient for what he did/was about to do...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
was at a kids restaurant a while back that had a huge outside play area, a small kid was left alone on one of those high swings, i'm assuming either his parents or the child minder left him there to swing. Anyway after a while he got tired of swinging and wanted to come off the swing but he was tiny and the swing was about two to three metres off the ground so quite high, another patron that was closer had to run and catch him before he fell :( the child minder only came running in after ... she was busy chatting to the other staff and not paying any attention to the play area. The parents where nowhere in sight. Oh and also he was the only kid in that area so there was no excuse for the child minder not to be paying attention to him.

i dont trust the staff employed to look after kids at these play area's, they always mostly distracted and almost always not paying attention to the kids they supposed to be looking after.
They have swings whose seats are higher than the average very tall person? :eek: