The simple reason why fibre is much cheaper than ADSL in South Africa

Grouter

Expert Member
Yep, I got tired of paying R200 a month for a phone service I never use just so I could have an internet connection. Cancelled all telkom services 2 weeks ago and moved to Rain LTE.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Yep, I got tired of paying R200 a month for a phone service I never use just so I could have an internet connection. Cancelled all telkom services 2 weeks ago and moved to Rain LTE.
Isnt the topic about Fibre?

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
But really.. touch wood i havent had an issue with my telkom. i would love fibre though.. but no luck

markings

Expert Member
While the naked 10 and 20Mbs services are comparable why is that not the case with the 40Mbs one?

Happy Days

What about Telkom's IPC costs? I seem to recall that the IPC costs pushed the pricing up quite a bit.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
What about Telkom's IPC costs? I seem to recall that the IPC costs pushed the pricing up quite a bit.
Yeah pls investigate why the national carrier is the most expensive of the lot. Government is the major shareholder there so, milking of the people?

justplain

Expert Member
like for like, adsl service is pretty much the same price as fibre.
The problem is you need a phone line included.
If Telkom bundled these together it may be a good deal.
I dumped telkom and migrated my number to voip. Had they bundled the service I'd probably still have adsl.

rambo919

Expert Member
2MB is still cheaper than fibre though.... and then again most of the country won't get fibre anyway until a few more decades have passed....

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
I live in a township outside GAUTENG and fibre companies will never invest in other townships except Alexandra which is a LAB RAT.

Do you have source for this information? link to an article perhaps?

rambo919

Expert Member
5G (so-called) isn't a replacement for fibre. It's going to run into the same network congestion issues that the LTE services have.
It'll be a great complement to fibre but won't replace it.
And the base station batteries will keep getting stolen too.