The slow pace of Android updates over the past 5 years

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
The slow pace of Android updates over the past 5 years

Google has released updates for its Android operating system on a regular basis in recent years, but the adoption of the software does not happen instantly.

While high-end devices may come with the latest version of Android installed, the updates usually take a lot longer to roll out to older devices – even previous-generation flagships.

koeks525

Expert Member
I am shocked Marshmallow has 25% of the pie... thought it would be less, and the majority would lie in KitKat and Lollipop (5 and 5.1).

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Perhaps the manufactureres should embrace the Custom-ROM community better. That said, device manufactureres make money by selling new model with new Android versions. Custom ROM's are the reason they are not making cash out of me.

Hemps

Executive Member
It seems once you have a device you are then almost forgotten about in terms of the software.

Does Xiaomi release updates to their devices on regular basis?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
It seems once you have a device you are then almost forgotten about in terms of the software.

My wife's Redmi Note 3 updates every month to month and a half. It is an update for their MIUI software mostly but it does come with an Android bump (e.g. 7.1.1 -> 7.1.2) ever so often as well.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Just Miui updates to fix all their bugs but rarely Android OS updates. All devices on Miui 10 will have an Oreo base AFAIK.

Hemps

Executive Member
Just Miui updates to fix all their bugs but rarely Android OS updates. All devices on Miui 10 will have an Oreo base AFAIK.
I have not looked but I'm guessing the custom rom development for xiaomi must be pretty large, on my G3 before I lost it , I was lucky it had plenty roms in development.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Solution buy Nokia
Was about to add this ^

It makes so much sense and will be the next handset I buy. No bloatware or other useless apps forced on to the handset. Theoretically the security should also be better?

McT

The Humble Scot!
This is also where Apple has a distinct advantage on Android.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Jola

Honorary Master
This is also where Apple has a distinct advantage on Android.
Nope, I have three Apple devices with old software, they won't upgrade. It's worse than Android.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Nope, I have three Apple devices with old software, they won't upgrade. It's worse than Android.
My only Apple device that won’t update since 2016 is from 2011.

I have a Sony Android from March 2013 who stopped being updated (meaning no Uber or Facebook working) in October 2013.

The comparison is pretty easy.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Was about to add this ^

It makes so much sense and will be the next handset I buy. No bloatware or other useless apps forced on to the handset. Theoretically the security should also be better?
Personally I recommend OnePlus devices. Amazing price, top of the line specs, bloat-free Android with relatively quick updates, best-in-class charging solution, super responsive, great camera, excellent build quality etc. Getting my OP6 on Wednesday and I can't wait.

And yeah, security is much better, primarily because faster updates mean you're more up to date with Android security updates. My OnePlus 5 has the 1 May Android security patch, which is pretty good.

It's significantly worse on Android I'm afraid. Apple has over 80% of active iPhones running iOS 11 whereas Oreo is on something like 5% of Android devices. This ridiculous fragmentation is why Project Treble was introduced with Oreo.

It's not an entirely fair comparison, as Android is a fundamentally different product compared to iOS and hands over creative control to manufacturers. But it's good that Google is finally dealing with the issue anyway.

Reactions: McT

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Oh shyte this is awesome.
Question is, will phones such as the P10 or P10 lite be updated to support Treble to support faster updates? Yes, it is on the list, but cynical me thinks that means fokkol.

Jola

Honorary Master
PIt's significantly worse on Android I'm afraid. Apple has over 80% of active iPhones running iOS 11 whereas Oreo is on something like 5% of Android devices. This ridiculous fragmentation is why Project Treble was introduced with Oreo.

It's not an entirely fair comparison, as Android is a fundamentally different product compared to iOS and hands over creative control to manufacturers. But it's good that Google is finally dealing with the issue anyway.
It is however, one of the reasons why I won't buy Apple.

The other is that I only buy dual-sim phones, so am using OnePlus at the moment..

I won't even buy Samsung because they don't have dedicated dual-sim slots.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I have a Sony Android from March 2013 who stopped being updated (meaning no Uber or Facebook working) in October 2013.
Can't be. Facebook still supports ICS that came out in 2011 and Facebook lite still supports Gingerbread that came out in 2010. Uber might be the only problem.