The Smoking Thread

Snyper564

Executive Member
Glad you're happy with it. Sometimes the outcome is affected by the quality and cut of the meat.

No offense please, but that brisket would have been difficult to perfect by any means.
I echo this I make notes on my smokes and see what I can do to improve each time till you get it right time after time.

Congrats looks good!

George Netherby

Expert Member
Glad you're happy with it. Sometimes the outcome is affected by the quality and cut of the meat.

No offense please, but that brisket would have been difficult to perfect by any means.
Not at all. I just got what the bloke behind the counter gave me.

George Netherby

Expert Member
Where you based? Once you get into smoking you really go out your way to get a better butcher and the cut you want.

I stay away from brisket and do flatrib as our brisket isn't like the US and marbled etc

Where you based? Once you get into smoking you really go out your way to get a better butcher and the cut you want.

I stay away from brisket and do flatrib as our brisket isn't like the US and marbled etc
Located in Centurion, I've struggled to find a good butcher in this area. I'll give the flat rib a go, thanks for the tip.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Located in Centurion, I've struggled to find a good butcher in this area. I'll give the flat rib a go, thanks for the tip.
Ah then I can help!

It might be a little far but two butchers I can highly recommend are Mondenette and kings Meat Deli.

Mondenette is my go to one!

Ask for Jaques tell him what you looking for and he will hook you up! Tell him it's for smoking and he will ensure you get the right cut.

I get my flat rib, short rib, eisbein, pork belly pork shoulder basically all my meat featured in this thread from them. Their prices are great and quality is outstanding. They are a smaller butchery but offer you outstanding service and a personalized touch.

Also start looking at things like bacon and pastrami.

Pastrami can basically be done to brisket or flat rib anything like that.

Vades

Don't give up on brisket though! Decent cuts are out there, but yes, can be hit and miss.

I've had to go to great lengths to explain/show butchers or blockmen what to supply. Most are not familiar with the US barbeque scene and associated cuts.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Don't give up on brisket though! Decent cuts are out there, but yes, can be hit and miss.

I've had to go to great lengths to explain/show butchers or blockmen what to supply. Most are not familiar with the US barbeque scene and associated cuts.
This and this is why I highly recommend Jacques from Mondenette. Sometimes I take the exact picture or breakdown of what I want just to make sure we on the same page and haven't been disappointed once!

George Netherby

Expert Member
Ah then I can help!

It might be a little far but two butchers I can highly recommend are Mondenette and kings Meat Deli.

Mondenette is my go to one!

Ask for Jaques tell him what you looking for and he will hook you up! Tell him it's for smoking and he will ensure you get the right cut.

I get my flat rib, short rib, eisbein, pork belly pork shoulder basically all my meat featured in this thread from them. Their prices are great and quality is outstanding. They are a smaller butchery but offer you outstanding service and a personalized touch.

Also start looking at things like bacon and pastrami.

Pastrami can basically be done to brisket or flat rib anything like that.
Thank you. I will go see what they are about next weekend.

George Netherby

Expert Member

I'll definitely keep at this, I enjoyed the process immensely. Just ordered a dual probe thermometer, and planted the "we need a smoker" seed in the mind of Mrs Netherby.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I'll definitely keep at this, I enjoyed the process immensely. Just ordered a dual probe thermometer, and planted the "we need a smoker" seed in the mind of Mrs Netherby.
Just my 2c from my experience and you welcome to differ

Get this instead: https://breademporium.co.za/product/thermopro-tp19-ultra-fast-instant-read-thermometer/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Bread Emporium&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=477&gclid=CjwKCAjw64eJBhAGEiwABr9o2Klj9fQ6_YYqgZJGCGjU6Egz7VU9HOp0BIUJiHMKsNf638eGZRE3IRoCXJMQAvD_BwE

I got a meat stick and those dual probe thermometers and it gave more problems than it was worth.

My recommendation get to know your smoker, dont overthink it, take it slow and understand the meat :)

I know how appealing the probes are now but you will get to the point where you will know exactly how long
pretty much any meat will take and those probes can sometimes be 10-20degs off and ruin the meat. Rather get a high quality instant read thermometer.

This was the smoke I did for my family for Christmas and I can tell you the probe really didnt help. Once again my 2c

1629638791568.png

If you want to start looking have a look here https://www.facebook.com/bigGcustomsmoker

Vades

My opinion differs but there is much about your post that makes sense. I still find my dual probe thermometer invaluable, granted, I'm using a Weber kettle.

I did fork out though and imported a Thermoworks Smoke dual probe. It's a proper piece of kit and extremely accurate. Got the Thermampen instant read thermometer as well which I use regularly.

Snyper564

Executive Member
My opinion differs but there is much about your post that makes sense. I still find my dual probe thermometer invaluable, granted, I'm using a Weber kettle.

I did fork out though and imported a Thermoworks Smoke dual probe. It's a proper piece of kit and extremely accurate. Got the Thermampen instant read thermometer as well which I use regularly.

Ok I can get on board with that, get a GOOD dual probe then, the cheap ones just arnt up to scratch

Did you import it?

Vades

Ok I can get on board with that, get a GOOD dual probe then, the cheap ones just arnt up to scratch

Did you import it?
Had to, yes. The only way to get one is through Thermoworks directly.

Tip: Convince a friend or two that they need one as well, then split shipping costs. :)

I see they have 30% off at the moment. $70 is a great price but landed here it will still end up at over R2k as the shipping is steep, and you'll get hit with a customs charge when collecting from SAPO.