The Soul

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I am but one of many such people.

I am not trying to make you angry.
I am trying to show you that many (highly) intellectuals believe GOD exists.
The whole "us Atheists are more clever than others (non-Atheists)" thing says a lot about the intellect of "us Atheists".
Please see edit from other post.

So you went from not believing because there was no proof to believing with no proof and nothing changed. Can I ascertain that you were never an Atheist from what you have told me?

I don't think Atheists are smarter then religious folk, I do think religious folks are blinded by a book which is why they can argue for slavery in the name of a book or argue against the LGBT community for being against God.
Doesn't really matter if I do wrong because I just have to ask for forgiveness and hand over 10% of my salary, BOOM forgiven now I can go out and be a douche again because God, Faith or Belief.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Please see edit from other post.
Your stance that "there is no proof that GOD exists" is somehow different from "I don't believe GOD exists" or "I believe GOD does not exist" makes no sense.
You cannot slice "belief" out of Atheism just because you don't like the word.

So you went from not believing because there was no proof to believing with no proof and nothing changed. Can I ascertain that you were never an Atheist from what you have told me?
So Antony Flew was never an Atheist?

I don't think Atheists are smarter then religious folk.
They are (clearly) not smarter.

I do think religious folks are blinded by a book.
They are not blinded by a book - they are blinded by a particular ideology.
Atheists are no different.

Doesn't really matter if I do wrong because I just have to ask for forgiveness and hand over 10% of my salary, BOOM forgiven now I can go out and be a douche again because God, Faith or Belief.
You're right about the money thing.
Religion is a big business - religious institutions/organisations is about money - lots of money.

You might be a fool or be fooled, and you might fool others and yourself, but not GOD.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Your stance that "there is no proof that GOD exists" is somehow different from "I don't believe GOD exists" or "I believe GOD does not exist" makes no sense.
You cannot slice "belief" out of Atheism just because you don't like the word.
Belief definition: an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

Yes they are very different things "there is no proof god exists" is a fact.

Saying God doesn't exist without proof isn't quiet a definition of belief because of the "exists or is true" and you are saying "doesn't exist" but "without proof" its half right, so ill give it to you.

Seems like a big who cares point to me but it seems to make you happy.

So Antony Flew was never an Atheist?
I'm saying something has to change from no proof to proof in order to go from atheism to theist, that guy wrote a whole book on why. So you were either never an Atheist or something changed.

They are (clearly) not smarter.
They are not blinded by a book - they are blinded by a particular ideology.
Atheists are no different.
I disagree I can take the good from the Bible, buddhism, the world etc rule out the bad and strive to be a better person. I don't get a get out of jail free card when I do something bad, I have to live with it, deal with it and learn from it. There is nothing that can be more harsh on me then me.

When people ask me why I am an atheist I tell them because I want to be better and I cant do that with a book telling me what to do.
You're right about the money thing.
Religion is a big business - religious institutions/organisations is about money - lots of money.
I'm surprised you said that considering it points out something wrong in the Bible but glad to see that you aren't completely shut off from the rational world.
You might be a fool or be fooled, and you might fool others and yourself, but not GOD.
This is lost on me

Last edited:

Splinter

Honorary Master
I did not shop around for a particular god.
My mind tells me that the GOD of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is.
So let me get this straight, after slagging atheists off for being arrogant, attacks on "scientism" etc etc, your evidence and logic for a religious deity is because you determined there is a god, and you decided it was the christian god.

Ponderer

Expert Member
So let me get this straight, after slagging atheists off for being arrogant, attacks on "scientism" etc etc, your evidence and logic for a religious deity is because you determined there is a god, and you decided it was the christian god.
Yes.

Pox

Expert Member
Whatever is, is.
Whatever is not, is not.
GOD either is, or GOD is not.
I believe GOD is because my mind tells me GOD is.
First 3 sentences mean nothing, add nothing and can be deleted.

No, you believe what you mind has been told to believe.

Why or how does your mind tell you God is?

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Christianity is a universal religion, there's no such thing as aliens in the sense these scriptures are talking about, so even if you had a point regarding the old testament, it has been abrogated by the new testament where everyone is a brother in Christ.

Indeed, it's such a struggle to have to contend with crypto-Christians in denial. :sneaky:

Swinging to miss, dude.

I already told you, you and the Christians are in agreement that slavery is wrong. Are you blind or stupid?

No, that's you. You're clearly not paying attention to what I'm saying.

I really hope that you can **** to that straw man of me you've conjured up so it can at least comfort you at night. :ROFL:
So funny because of the video you suggested I got recommended this one on Youtube

Must be a sign :ROFL::p

Gingerbeardman

Executive Member
So funny because of the video you suggested I got recommended this one on Youtube

Must be a sign :ROFL::p
Your chirps might be more convincing/concerning if you didn't run away with your tail inbetween your legs the moment you were asked to give reasons for your moral conclusions without appealing to souls or other supernatural woo. :sleep:

Bobbin

Executive Member
I am but one of many such people.

I am not trying to make you angry.
I am trying to show you that many (highly) intellectuals believe GOD exists.
The whole "us Atheists are more clever than others (non-Atheists)" thing says a lot about the intellect of "us Atheists".
On the contrary, the smartest people might be the Ashkenazi Jews - though the subject has received much controversy.

But whoever said 'us atheists' are smarter? And since when are atheists communal like, referring to 'us'?

Pox

Expert Member
On the contrary, the smartest people might be the Ashkenazi Jews - though the subject has received much controversy.

But whoever said 'us atheists' are smarter? And since when are atheists communal like, referring to 'us'?
Did you forget that according to Ponderer all atheists belong to the same religion and hold the same belief?

That's the 'us'

Splinter

Honorary Master
I do not ascribe to the Vatican or any other such institutions.
And just another thought. As per above, you do not adhere or subscribe to any religious institution. In other words, you are not part of a church of any particular denomination.

Therefore, logically, you just adhere to the bible. Would this be correct?

Ponderer

Expert Member
And just another thought. As per above, you do not adhere or subscribe to any religious institution. In other words, you are not part of a church of any particular denomination.

Therefore, logically, you just adhere to the bible. Would this be correct?
Yes.