MirageF1

Executive Member
Once upon a time in SA...

Mirage-F1CZ00135-1.jpg

Photo courtesy of norval.co.za

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
The South African Air Force over the past 100 years

The South African Air Force (SAAF) is one of the oldest in the world, founded on 1 February 1920.

Today is the 100th anniversary of the organisation, and the SAAF hosted a Prestige Parade at Swartkop to commemorate the occasion on Friday 31 January 2020.
I have NO idea WHAT they are celebrating
The current SAAF is in EXACTLY the same position as SAA = DEFUNCT !
Although SAA has a BETTER safety record
YES
I used to fly -- SAAF !

DC 3 -- Dakota
DC4 - Skymaster
C160 - Transall
C130 - Hercules
Alouette 3 -- helicopter
Kudu
Bosbok

wizardofid

Executive Member
I can't believe the article left out the MOST iconic aircraft our air force ever used.
Impala(Aermacchi MB-326). Aircraft was so agile during the border war could be flown, at 550km/h 15-20m from the ground to avoid radar.

Besides training aircraft, it was also used as light attack aircraft and interceptors having shot down numerous helicopters, cheekily protected MiG 21's in one instance.

Only one was shot down and one landed with an ordinance in it's ass.

Sure the mirage III and F1, was the pretty, the bad boy and popular one, impala was a cheeky little bastid.....

Last edited:

Gazg

MirageF1

Executive Member
Used to occasionally see the iconic Harvard trainers in formation with their stunning white+orange livery ( based at Ysterplaat IIRC) flying around over CT and took a few trips on the 'ol trusty Dakotas (scary ****! ) during my NS from CT - DBN.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The fly past is going to be spectacular today, based on all the practice flights over the past few days.
A day to remember what was and what could be again.
A day to lament and see what 26 years of ANC rule has done to many proud and highly functioning entities in South Africa.

MirageF1

Executive Member
A day to lament and see what 26 years of ANC rule has done to many proud and highly functioning entities in South Africa.

Best not to even go there...
Remember the memories with pride.
That's what I do anyway.

P.S who is nearby and going to watch the ceremony/flybyes?
Would like to see a Gripen in flight...if only to admire it's sleekness and beauty.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No, we are not going not prepared to fight the traffic to get there. Will sit in chairs in my back yard and hope the formation fly's over. If not tuff.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Best not to even go there...
Remember the memories with pride.
That's what I do anyway.

P.S who is nearby and going to watch the ceremony/flybyes?
Would like to see a Gripen in flight...if only to admire it's sleekness and beauty.
Is this PTA / Waterkloof or Ysterplaat?
NM... I see it's swartkop

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
My late father was a navigator in the SAAF at the end of WW2 (1944-5). Air forces are good for fighting wars, but not much else.

No mention of the other helicopters such as the Orxy (Puma), which have also done search and rescue over the years (MTS Oceanos off the Wild Coast).

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Used to occasionally see the iconic Harvard trainers in formation with their stunning white+orange livery ( based at Ysterplaat IIRC) flying around over CT and took a few trips on the 'ol trusty Dakotas (scary ****! ) during my NS from CT - DBN.
That Flossie trip used to start at Ysterplaat, then stop at George, PE before Durbs when I used it.

DreamKing

Honorary Master