The South African town that does not get load-shedding

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Surely it’s more than just geyser switches that keeps their lights on.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Eskom determines the City towns consumption and give the metwro or municipality a target to loadshed. Small towns usually don't get a lot if they do not have big industrial areas within the municipality.

Back in 2005 I think it was Eskom forced the City of uMhlathuze municipality which controls Richards Bay, Empangeni ect to loadshed 2 suburbs at a time for 4 and half hours twice a day because of the industries consuming large amounts of electricity like Hillside and Bayside aluminum smelters.

Now the municipality only loadshed the residence for 2 hours once a day no matter what stage.

The cities obviously gets more because more people use more electricity and it's where the biggest load reduction will come from when loadshedding occurs. Obviously they aren't loadshedding companies like mines and aluminum smelters ect because it would be dangerous to just switch off.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Most of the Mining towns in the Northern Cape do not get load shedding either.

I was in Springbok last week and heard that towns like Aggenys (Black Mountain) do not get shedding.

Although in Namibia just over the border from the NC, we have a direct ESKOM line from the NC to our town and mine and do not experience load shedding, the SA locals across the river in Alex bay are very bitter about this as they can see the lights twinkling over the "other" side whilst they stumble around in the dark....

I've had no load shedding. Other parts of Benoni have had but not me. They have some other weird formula here for that business.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Most of the Mining towns in the Northern Cape do not get load shedding either.

I was in Springbok last week and heard that towns like Aggenys (Black Mountain) do not get shedding.

Although in Namibia just over the border from the NC, we have a direct ESKOM line from the NC to our town and mine and do not experience load shedding, the SA locals across the river in Alex bay are very bitter about this as they can see the lights twinkling over the "other" side whilst they stumble around in the dark....
Damn !!!

none.jpg

thechamp

Honorary Master
Depends which ANC bigwigs are in the area
Not necessarily, a colleague of mine has never had loadshedding in Klipfontein, Midrand. My parent in the North West never had load shedding, there is no ANC big wig in that village.

ramsbod

Most municipalities have the ability to switch geysers off. The problem is most of them abuse it and residents get cold water so the residents bypass the switches.

Swa

Honorary Master
Most municipalities have the ability to switch geysers off. The problem is most of them abuse it and residents get cold water so the residents bypass the switches.
Ability is not the same as using it and installing the equipment. Not aware of any attempts around here to try and install the switches and if they tried it I'll just remove it as soon as they leave.

isie

Honorary Master
**** that my geyser electric element is off most of the day any way , off course thanks to eskom load shedding it has to be on more hours to cater for times when load shedding is on effects